Evil Flu

Old November 24th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Monique Y. Mudama

Default Evil Flu

Been skiing twice this season, once to A-Basin, once to Breckenridge.

A-Basin was the day Keystone opened -- I thought everyone would go to
Keystone, but I thought wrong. After standing through a half-hour
lift line at the bottom, I gave up and went home.

Breckenridge was actually amazing. The snow was indistinguishable from
good mid-season snow, and there were enough runs open, even though it
was only part of the peak, to not have that "I'm skiing down two runs
all day" feel. There was even a little bump run under Mercury lift,
and enough snow that some people were braving the trees here and there.

So this past weekend, I was going to ski Sunday, and then, as we don't
have family visiting, we were going to go to Breck today.

Saturday evening I started noticing a sore throat. By Sunday morning it
was clear I wasn't going anywhere. I'd hoped to feel better by today,
but no, I'm still somewhat feverish and weak as a kitten. (Today DH and
I went on a neighborhood walk, on which I found myself out of breath on
what might have been, maybe, a 2% grade sidewalk.)

We'd been planning to go skiing today for a few weeks, so there's
nothing even vaguely resembling the traditional Thanksgiving meal in
the house. Instead we'll be grilling brats. Maybe a new tradition?
I never did care much for turkey.

I really, really hope to be better by this weekend. Vail and Beaver
Creek have lifted Colorado Pass restrictions, so maybe there ... *

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

* Have you seen that Beaver Creek ad with a single skier in Larkspur bowl?
Beautiful ad, but I've never seen larkspur empty like that, and it's
usually the first place I go.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old November 25th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
snoig

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
[...]

Don't worry, you're not missing anything. There are lots of rocks on
all the natural snow trails. We need snow which should arrive on
Monday so just get better and wait until next weekend.

snoig

Old November 25th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
[...]

Copper was great on Turkey Day. Went to Breck today (Friday) to walk around
and shop. Slopes looked great. Took 6 home. A-Basin and Loveland were
VERY busy. Couldn't tell what was up at Keystone.

Hope you're feeling better.
--
Marty

Old November 26th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-11-25, Marty penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Copper was great on Turkey Day. Went to Breck today (Friday) to
walk around and shop. Slopes looked great. Took 6 home. A-Basin
and Loveland were VERY busy. Couldn't tell what was up at Keystone.

Actually, my husband went to Breck Friday and said the groomers were
okay, but everything else was "firm" and rocky. He left after about 3
hours of skiing.

A co-worker went to Vail Thursday and said it was great.

Dunno if it's different expectations or what.

Hope you're feeling better. -- Marty

Thanks. I'm feeling better than I was, but definitely still under the
weather. Just trying to get a lot of rest so that I can be done with
this ASAP.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old November 26th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-11-25, snoig penned:

Don't worry, you're not missing anything. There are lots of rocks
on all the natural snow trails. We need snow which should arrive on
Monday so just get better and wait until next weekend.

I'll make virtue out of necessity, then =)

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old November 26th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
snoig

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Actually, my husband went to Breck Friday and said the groomers were
okay, but everything else was "firm" and rocky. He left after about 3
hours of skiing.

Sounds about right. They opened up some stuff this week that probably
shouldn't have been opened. Anywhere they've been making snow is
pretty good but it's also pretty fast and it's been more crowded than
usuall this holiday so it can also be pretty dangerous. These are the
kind of days where I like to take the dog out and XC.

A co-worker went to Vail Thursday and said it was great.

Dunno if it's different expectations or what.

Vails had more time to blow snow and get things ready as well as having
more terrain open. So I'm sure it was pretty good. BC was probably
even better since they just opened this week.

It's just starting to snow here now (Sunday morning) but pretty
lightly. If we get what they predict for this week it should be pretty
good by this weekend. Breck has most of it's chairs running now except
for Peak 7 and the Peak 8 base which are only closed due to
construction. I'm not sure when they will open up. I hear rumors that
the new gondola wont be open until the end of January but the offical
line is it will be open by xmas so they may not open up the lower Peak
8 stuff until then but Imperial and 6 chair are open. They could also
open the t-bar and the Independance without opening Peak 8 base. You
may see that by this weekend.

snoig

Old November 27th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

On 2006-11-25, Marty penned:

Copper was great on Turkey Day. Went to Breck today (Friday) to
walk around and shop. Slopes looked great. Took 6 home. A-Basin
and Loveland were VERY busy. Couldn't tell what was up at Keystone.

Actually, my husband went to Breck Friday and said the groomers were
okay, but everything else was "firm" and rocky. He left after about 3
hours of skiing.

A co-worker went to Vail Thursday and said it was great.

Dunno if it's different expectations or what.

Oh yes, for sure. I'm from the mid-west. I'm freaking skiing in early
November and it's great. The man made at Copper is fantastic. I love
man made snow. It's hard, fast, and grippy.
--
Marty