Waxing Problem

Old January 30th 14, 06:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Waxing Problem

Hej,
Any recommendations on how best to deal with this situation. You start
off on icy conditions so you put on Klister. How do you adapt when you
move on to softer snow without cleaning everything off. When touring you
can mix all sorts of waxes and function but what can you put on top of
Klister.
Thanks
Old January 31st 14, 04:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Hard wax over klister is one common approach. I tend to do it in
advance if there's any chance of loose snow in the tracks or even in the
skate lane. This is a layering process, so make sure the klister is
hard by cooling the skis outside first for 20-30 minutes or more,
depending on the temperature. Leaving hard wax outside and applying
it there isn't a bad idea either, so it's not soft. If it is, you'll end
up rubbing it in so hard to get the desired smoothness that friction
will heat and soften the klister, thus mixes the two waxes. After
that, let the skis cool again for a few minutes and then go out and
have fun, carrying the appropriate hard wax with you.

Gene

Old January 31st 14, 04:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

In afterthought, I assumed you meant loose, softer snow. If you meant
warm softer snow, then I would either suffer through it or head back
and get a pair of no-wax skis.

Gene

Old January 31st 14, 11:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

" wrote:

Hej,
Any recommendations on how best to deal with this situation. You
start off on icy conditions so you put on Klister. How do you adapt
when you move on to softer snow without cleaning everything off.
When touring you can mix all sorts of waxes and function but what
can you put on top of Klister.
Thanks

Loose softer.
We are going back to a place where the temperature will be -10C or less.
The last time we were there we started off in icy well skied tracks
using klister then climbed up to softer snow (very fine like spindrift),
balled up something terrible. This fine stuff was funny. Even if you
started off with blue extra you would ball up unless your wax was well
polished. Good advice to make sure your equipment and waxes are at
outside air temperatures - made that mistake before

Ant: What is your problem? Andy Alpine Skiing 18 June 25th 07 06:56 AM
Airplane problem The Real Bev Alpine Skiing 17 September 23rd 05 01:16 PM
Problem with RSN? Gary Jacobson Nordic Skiing 2 September 5th 04 01:06 AM
ISC problem?? Walt Alpine Skiing 2 October 18th 03 12:06 AM
[MODPOL] ISC problem?? John Red-Horse Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 October 16th 03 01:30 PM