ski resort suggestions wanted please

Old January 5th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine

Default ski resort suggestions wanted please

Hi All:

Since I am very susceptible to altitude sickness I am hoping that
someone could give me some suggestions for ski destinations with the
following criteria:
1) Located in the western US, preferably no further north than Northern
California.
2) Base camp no highter than 8,500 feet.
3) Easy access to hot springs, warm swimming pools.

I tried looking in several web sites for this information but none
seemed to offer criterion #2 as a search option. Is there any such web
site?

Of course, I know that altitiude sickness goes away in 3 to 4 days but
I dont have more than 3 to 4 days for a ski vacation :-(

thanks very much in advance
Quark

Old January 5th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Taos.

This would be a good year to hit up Taos too.

Old January 5th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine

thank you. However, base camp at Taos is 9207 feet. In fact, it was at
Taos ski valley several years ago that I discovered my extreme
susceptibility to altitude sickness.

I guess I could stay in the town of Taos and drive up every day but
that takes away a lot of ski time.

Quark

Old January 5th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Wow...I never realized Taos was so high up....

Maybe soem of the more remote CO areas ? Telluride ?

Maybe Sun Valley ?

Old January 5th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Carol Harkness

Generally speaking, the further north you go in the Rockies, the lower
the mountains. Thus Taos is high, and so are most of the Colorado resorts.

You might try the Salt Lake City area -- Park City MR's home page
(http://www.parkcitymountain.com/wint...ats/index.html)
says their base is 6900 feet. If you stay in Park City, the bus system
allows easy access to Deer Valley and the Canyons as well as PCMR, and
you'll be a bit lower still. There's also a lift from Main Street to
PCMR, so you'd have lots of options.

Alta and Snowbird are higher, but their base areas may well still be
below 8500 feet.

If you're willing to go further north, Jackson Hole's base is about 6350.

Carol Harkness

Old January 5th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Yeah Jax Hole is a good idea...Plenty of snow up there this year too...

Old January 5th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine Yabahoobs wrote:
Taos.

This would be a good year to hit up Taos too.

Their snow hasn't been very good and this last storm dropped more in
ABQ. Not to mention the base is way high. SLC has no hot springs,
except out in Midway. Does Jackson have any? My suggestion would be
Steamboat. Or Glenwood Springs and make the drive to the resorts. If
you can compromise on skiing, try Lava Hot Springs and Pebble Creek
Ski Resort.

-klaus

Old January 5th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Aren't WY and ID basically covered in hot springs ? I know there' s a
TON of em around here.

Old January 5th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Carol Harkness

Yes, Jackson has hot springs, but they're a bit out of town and in a
different direction than the ski area. There's Kelly Warm Springs 7 or
8 miles from Jackson, and Granite Hot Springs south of town. Granite is
great, but you have to get there via ski, snowmobile, or dog sled, so
it's pretty much an all day excursion.

Personally, I tend to soak in a hot tub instead.

Carol Harkness

Old January 6th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
SkiFastBadly

Yabahoobs wrote:
Wow...I never realized Taos was so high up....

Maybe soem of the more remote CO areas ? Telluride ?

Maybe Sun Valley ?

Everything in Utah sucks. You can't get a drink, and there's no snow. Go
to Colorado.

You're welcome.