need advice on Alta/Snowbird

Old February 28th 05, 02:29 PM
paulk

Default need advice on Alta/Snowbird

I am arriving to SLC in March and I will have 6 days for skiing from
March 14. I want to maximize my powder time; don't need any afterski.
Where would you recommend to stay and to ski? I need simple
accomodation (1 person). Is it worth of staying in SLC or it's better
to stay in resort (Alta/Snowbird)? Sholud I split my time between Alta
and Snowbird? What about lift tickets.
Any advice and recommendations are highly appreciated,
Paul

(P.S.: I am arriving from Europe, I've never been skiing in US before)

Old February 28th 05, 06:53 PM
Walt

paulk wrote:

I am arriving to SLC in March and I will have 6 days for skiing from
March 14. I want to maximize my powder time; don't need any afterski.
Where would you recommend to stay and to ski? I need simple
accomodation (1 person). Is it worth of staying in SLC or it's better
to stay in resort (Alta/Snowbird)?

(P.S.: I am arriving from Europe, I've never been skiing in US before)

Some observations:

1) There is no guarantee that there'll be fresh powder. (although the
week you've chosen is a good bet)

2) If there is a powder dump, the road up to the canyon may be closed.

3) If there is a powder dump, you may not be able to ski until they
finish the avi control, even if you stay on-site.

If you're coming all the way from Europe to ski powder, you probably
want to spend the extra money to stay at the resort instead of staying
in town. That way you're positioned to nab it if there's a dump. See
the three observations above.

Staying at the resort is more expensive than staying in town, but you
can offset that somewhat by not renting a car. You don't need a car -
Alta and Snowbird are quite close together and serviced by inter-resort
shuttles. There's also a bus that goes to Big Cottonwood Canyon with
Solitude and Brighton.

As for inexpensive accomodations in Little Cottonwood Canyon, please let
me know if you find any. I haven't. There's a hostel-style place in
Park City that rents dorm beds for $30 night
http://www.chateauapres.com/ , but it's in PC which gets less powder
than Alta/Snowbird. And of course there are a large number of
inexpensive motels in town - stay in Sandy or Midvale for easy access to
LCC/BCC.

Sholud I split my time between Alta and Snowbird?

I'd say ski each one the first two days, then see what you think. I
greatly prefer Alta, but YMMV. A day trip to Solitude would be worth
doing. If you rent a car and stay in town, you might consider driving
around to Park City for a taste of what you're not missing. Or not.

What about lift tickets.

You can get discount lift tickets at the ski rental kiosk at the
airport. Buy 'em while you're waiting for your luggage. If you stay in
town and rent a car, you can get discounts from
http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html Once you're up the canyon
you're paying full price.

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 28th 05, 09:34 PM

On 2/28/2005 12:53 PM, Walt wrote:
paulk wrote:

[...]

What is the discount at the airport in SLC?

Old March 1st 05, 08:16 PM
Walt

You can get discount lift tickets at the ski rental kiosk at the
airport. Buy 'em while you're waiting for your luggage. If you stay
in town and rent a car, you can get discounts from
http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html Once you're up the canyon
you're paying full price.

What is the discount at the airport in SLC?

It's been a couple years, but the discounts at the airport were about
the same as anywhere else i.e. within a dollar or so. This may or may
not still be true. If you're serious about finding out, try giving
them a phone call.

--
//-Walt
//
Old March 1st 05, 09:35 PM
David Spencer

"paulk" writes:

I am arriving to SLC in March and I will have 6 days for skiing from
March 14. I want to maximize my powder time; don't need any afterski.
Where would you recommend to stay and to ski?

You are describing Alta to a "T".

Alta is elemental. There is nothing at Alta other than skiing, eating
and sleeping.

There is no afterski at Alta. None whatsoever.

You eat at your lodge. You eat what your lodge is serving that
night. Some lodges, (eg Alta Lodge and Rustler) have a couple of
selections for main course. At others (eg Snowpine) you get what
they're serving. (Fortunately, it's good).

If you're there six days in March, you are very likely to get at least
one good dump of the finest powder you have ever skiied. Alta's the
best spot in the US for lift-served powder. Don't expect to ski
groomers; they groom the bottom of one side of the hill and a few
boulevards, but otherwise it's ungroomed.

I just got back from three days of skiing, during which it snowed --
heavily and constantly -- for two days. There's lots and lots of snow
on the mountain, so you'll have great skiing even if you don't get a
dump while you're there.

And there's no snowboarding, so the hill doesn't get scraped up.

I need simple accomodation (1 person).

Good, because that's all you'll get!

If you're on your own and don't mind sharing a room with a dozen or
more others of your gender, you can get a bunk in the dorm at one of
the lodges. Rustler and Alta Lodge are what passes for luxury.
Snowpine is quaint and basic. The Peruvian is a frathouse. (If you
don't know what a frathouse is, the movie Animal House will acquaint
you with the idea).

Is it worth of staying in SLC or it's better to stay in resort
(Alta/Snowbird)?

Stay at the mountain.

While prices may seem higher, remember that your meals are included.

You don't want to miss any skiing if they close the roads to the
canyon. Besides, you want to be there when they open the lift.

At Alta, you can get on the lift 45 minutes early if you hire an
instructor for the morning. You get to lay first tracks all over the
mountain. It's a good idea anyway, as it can be tricky for
first-timers to figure out how to get to the really good stuff.

Sholud I split my time between Alta and Snowbird? What about lift
tickets.

For a premium, you can get a combined ticket for Alta and Snowbird.
There are several passes between them. You might want to do it for a
day and see how you like Snowbird. Snowbird has some interesting
terrain, but I spend all my time at Alta.

Alta has some of the lowest lift prices of any major spot in the US.

(P.S.: I am arriving from Europe, I've never been skiing in US before)

You've picked the right spot.

--
dhs
Old March 1st 05, 11:25 PM
lal_truckee

David Spencer threw down the gauntlet:

Alta's the best spot in the US for lift-served powder.

Implying he's never been to Targhee. Alta may be second best, which is
still PDG.
Old March 2nd 05, 07:03 PM

On 3/1/2005 3:35 PM, David Spencer wrote:
"paulk" writes:

I am arriving to SLC in March and I will have 6 days for skiing from
March 14. I want to maximize my powder time; don't need any afterski.
Where would you recommend to stay and to ski?

You are describing Alta to a "T".

Alta is elemental. There is nothing at Alta other than skiing, eating
and sleeping.

There is no afterski at Alta. None whatsoever.

There is no place to have a nice beer or drink and relax to talk?
Old March 2nd 05, 10:14 PM
Walt

"paulk" writes:

I am arriving to SLC in March and I will have 6 days for skiing from
March 14. I want to maximize my powder time; don't need any afterski.
Where would you recommend to stay and to ski?

You are describing Alta to a "T".

Alta is elemental. There is nothing at Alta other than skiing, eating
and sleeping.

There is no afterski at Alta. None whatsoever.

There is no place to have a nice beer or drink and relax to talk?

It's not quite as stark as David paints it.

They serve beer for about an hour after the lifts close at the Albion
base. You can get a pitcher and sit on the deck and watch the sun go
down. Quite nice, actually. The "crowd" is usually pretty low key.

There are a couple of restaurants, the overnight lodges have some common
areas for the guests, and I think there might even be a bar at the
Goldminer's restaurant. But you won't find the screaming ski ninnies
dancing on the tables, etc. - there is no party scene. Most people who
ski Alta get in their cars and drive home when the lifts close.

Regarding Snowbird - don't buy the Alta/Bird combo pass, just buy a
regular pass to Snowbird and spend the whole day there. There is plenty
to keep you occupied at either resort for several days, and the combo
ticket would be a waste of money. And on the subject of wasting money
at Snowbird, the tram ticket is widely considered to be not worth the
extra cost either.

Good luck. Have fun.

--
//-Walt
//
Old March 16th 05, 07:21 PM

You're right alta is low key,though snowbird has the Tram bar which is
kind of fun. However,I just got done skiing alta/snowbird ect from
mar10 to 16th and there has been no new snow for about 3 weeks save for
an occasional dusting. The conditions sucked to be honest,very hard and
scrapey. A real dissapointment,as alta can be the best. Get out the
carving skiis. Just goes to show that base isn't everything.