Universal Toko Wax as a basic layer

Old April 20th 04, 04:05 AM
TahoeXCSkier

Default Universal Toko Wax as a basic layer

Gene,

The picture of U-T1 (not UT-1, I was wrong) is he
http://www.skiguys.com/Starwax.asp
Thanks for the valuable info about MAP100. I had a suspicion that it
was pretty old. I expected it to contain graphite, like MAP200 or MAP
black, but it is white as snow and very soft. Will test it next
season.

Gene Goldenfeld wrote in message ...
TahoeXCSkier wrote:

Thanks Gene.

What's the difference between UT-1 and NU01? Is it the same wax? Both
are called Ultra-Tech...
I also purchased some Star MAP 100 additive (white). Have you used
this one before? There is no temperature range on it, it is
recommended for wet snow conditions or falling snow and should be
rubbed on the base and melted at 50C (!).

You've got me there. I'm not familiar with UT-1 (misnamed by someone?)
or MAP-100, which was replaced by Map200. The latter is mentioned in
Jenex's Galanes/Len Johnson pamphlet on applying Star waxes, as follows:
"Special fluoro - carbon molecule in a paraffin base. To be used over
Nordic Synthesis (older nonfluoro?) or Ultra-Tech. Used in coarse icy
snow and in melting and coarse snow conditions. With MAP100 the
fluorocarbon content of other waxes is increased. Map acts like F1 and
F2, but is much less expensive." They give two methods of application:
1)Drip on top of something like Ultra-Tech and melt the two together at
medium temperature, cool and horsehair; 2)Wax with Ultra-Tech or
Synthesis, rub on Map 100, horsehair brush. BTW, the pamphlet must be
pretty old, since nicely posed portraits of Torgny Mogren and V. Smirnov
adorn the back cover.

Having written that, I now find almost the entire pamphlet, updated to
2000, at the Jenex site: http://www.jenex.com/wax/index.html (V2-Star
Tuning Tips). All that's missing, or been replaced by commentary, is
the last part with specific application info, such as that cited here.

Gene

Old April 20th 04, 01:18 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Between the Ultra-Tech you and I have and the new LA apex (low
additive), many of the Star waxes were updated and got new boxes and, in
Ultra-Tech's case, a new part # designation (makes more sense than
NUO#). That's what you're seeing at the Ski Rack's site. I don't have
that, but some of the similar TF and EC lines. It's good stuff. It
looks like stocks of Star waxes were sufficient in the US this year that
most dealers didn't get the new lines.

You could ask Len Johnson (or Noel Charonnet) about MAP 100.

Gene