Rollerski poles & protective gear

Old April 11th 04, 01:54 AM
J999w

Default Rollerski poles & protective gear

I would add only that from my inline crashes, 2 layers of lycra might just
be enough to literally save your skin...
In a fall, the outer layer shreds on the contact patch, but most of the
inner layer remains intact.
I typically wear old cycling shorts over compression shorts or Body Armour
boxer briefs.
ED3

I'll dress similarly by always wearing a T shirt under my cycling jersey, no
matter how blazing hot it is. Cloth sliding on cloth is better than cloth on
skin.

jw
milwaukee

Old April 11th 04, 09:44 PM
J999w

I'll dress similarly by always wearing a T shirt under my cycling jersey, no
matter how blazing hot it is. Cloth sliding on cloth is better than cloth on
skin.

How often do you crash? Often enough that dicomfort in hot weather is
worth this "protection"?

JT

Not that often, but once 'over the bars' at 30 mph, then sliding on my back was
a lesson learned.

I have several friends who do this also.

jw

Old April 14th 04, 03:52 PM
taywood

My first time out on roller skis I hit a crack and went over
sideways, hitting my hip hard on the asphalt. Hurt for a couple
of weeks. I bought a roller-hockey girdle. I have only fallen
once since, and hit my elbow pad.

Whats a roller-hockey girdle?
My first outing on new Marwe classics was a country tour.
On a fast dropping bend I lost it and faced with a drop onto
a boulder strewn river bed I sat, as on snow.
I smacked my tailbone on the road surface, agonising pain for
months. Later I did the same, sitting on frozen chunks of ice on
the track.
Now two decades later I have almost daily pain in the
sacro illiac joint on both sides as a result of that upward punch
straining the joints between spine and hips.
I've often considered trying a paddedbuttgirdle in some form
(away from publicview of course).
Mike