Documentary on Option Snowboards

Old October 29th 03, 04:58 PM
Juan Parra

Default Documentary on Option Snowboards

This is my latest documentary on Option Snowboards.
Please give me some feedback.

http://zed.cbc.ca/go.ZeD?CONTENT_ID=46839&page=content

or

http://static.zed.cbc.ca/users/j/jua...dtech_web2.mov

Thanks

Juani

Old October 30th 03, 02:56 AM
Arvin Chang

Well it's a bit better than the previous version of the video. The
editing is much better in general. There are no more repeated clips
and the footage match the narrator/interviews/voiceovers a lot better.
I like how when the guy talks about certain board making
processes/features in freeride/freestyle snowboards, you cut to a clip
of the process. Problem there is that by then you should have already
explained the board making process and now your are just referring
back to the original video explanation.

The new usage of "power freeriding" is acceptable to me at least. It
really helps that you've managed to add some more backcountry clips to
help solidify the idea of "all mountain power riding." I still have an
issue with that scene with the rider cruising down the cattrack trail
doing little 180s while Kevin S. is talking about freeriding...
cruising down a narrow cattrail is about as far away from all-mountain
freeriding as one can get.

I really liked the footage of the board being constructed, but
noticeably absent was *any* explanation of how a snowboard is made,
from cutting the boards, to laminating several layers to gets, to
wrapping the steel edge... not a single word. If you added a narrator
of the board-making process, that section would be really nice.
Usually I would have some video of someone highlighting the basic
steps quickly and THEN you can go into the time-lapse section of the
board construction. I roughly know how a snowboard is make and it was
still hard to identify what was going on in a bunch of the scenes.

I don't see how this is a documentary about Option Snowboards. Your
narrator spends a whole 5 sentences (maybe 10% of the time or less)
about Option Snowboards and nothing more about how or why the company
does what it does occurs in the rest of the film. You have a member of
the Option Snowboard company, but for the most part he talked about
snowboarding in general.

With this and your previous verson, you still have the problem that
you haven't really fleshed out the designated content and purpose of
the video. In both cases, too much of the video is devoted to footage
of riders doing tricks (which would be fine if you were just doing a
regular snowboard video). In the first video you wanted to talk about
the types of snowboarding - freeriding and freestyle. In this video
you wanted to talk about Option Snowboard... neither of which you
really do. You start out well... but after 2-3 minutes you basically
wander off the subject and never get back to it.

There's a difference between a video on self-defense and a kung-fu
movie. You need to focus on the purpose of the video and add content
as appropriate. When I say content, I mean information given via
narration, interviews, text and or diagram. Then you add footage
emphasize/supplement the content. I think a problem with sections of
the documentary is that sometimes there is not very much relevant
"content." This is much better than the previous film which was a very
lacking in content. You just need to add more content and focus the
film a little more.

As before, the cinematographs, sound, music, and editing are
excellent. I still have issues with the narration, but that could just
be me.

Old October 30th 03, 04:07 AM
Al_xtreme

Excellent! It remembers me all the nice memories i've got from last winter
in BC. What a snowboard trip! Option is my favorites make of boards and I
ride the Kevin Sansalone Pro model(2000) which is still fantastic!

good job!
Do u have more videos?

Old October 31st 03, 06:37 PM
Juan Parra