Silver Star vs. Sovereign Lakes Nordic Center

Old November 30th 04, 06:17 PM
Chris Esposito

Default Silver Star vs. Sovereign Lakes Nordic Center

Hi All-
As usual, I (and many other Seattle-area XC folk) spent last week
up at Silver Star, with the occasional trip over to Sovereign Lakes
Nordic Center just down the hill a short way. The Haywood Canada Cup
races were at Sovereign last week, and watching Beckie Scott race (and
thoroughly dominate) in several of these was a real treat.

One of the attractions in going to this general area was having 2 good
trail systems in such proximity that you could ski from one to the
other, effectively treating them as one. Brief chats with some of the
locals hinted at a growing disagreement and lack of cooperation between
the 2 areas, which in our case led to a situation where we could ski
from Silver Star village up, over, and down to Sovereign via Lars Taylor
Way, but only partially back to Silver Star on the Gold Mountain Trail.
Sovereign groomed to the boundary between the areas, but Silver Star did
not (and we were told, will not) groom the rest of the way, so we walked
the rest of the way on the road. You now have to buy a separate trail
pass for each area and the shuttle bus between the areas no longer runs.

Do any of the folks on this list from near Silver Star (e.g., Scott)
have any more insight into what's going on between these two areas?

Chris
Old December 1st 04, 03:04 AM
Scott Elliot

I know more than I want to know about the Silver Star/Sovereign Lakes
relationship.

I also don't believe in doing the dirty laundry in public.

Let's just say that two organizations that would both do better if they
co-operated can get buried in disputes that harm both of them.

Scott