WC isn't quite over...

Old March 13th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

Default WC isn't quite over...

and already it's a great WC season for the USST:

Bode: most WC wins for US skier, got the overall, got the combined,
(most likely would have won the DH cup if the last race had not been
cancelled). Even his SL was very good this year.

Lindsey: very close to winning the overall, already has the DH cup

Ted: may end up with the GS cup!

Julia: sitting in 7th overall (4th in GS) - solid!

Fantastic!
--
Marty
Old March 13th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Armin

On Mar 13, 11:27*am, Marty wrote:
and already it's a great WC season for the USST:

Bode: *most WC wins for US skier, got the overall, got the combined,
(most likely would have won the DH cup if the last race had not been
cancelled). *Even his SL was very good this year.

Lindsey: *very close to winning the overall, already has the DH cup

Ted: *may end up with the GS cup!

Julia: *sitting in 7th overall (4th in GS) - solid!

Fantastic!
--
Marty

I thought Bode Miller wasn't skiing for the USST anymore. Thought I
read a while back that he was racing as an independent. Did I miss
something?
Old March 14th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Armin wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:27 am, Marty wrote:
and already it's a great WC season for the USST:

Bode: most WC wins for US skier, got the overall, got the combined,
(most likely would have won the DH cup if the last race had not been
cancelled). Even his SL was very good this year.

Lindsey: very close to winning the overall, already has the DH cup

Ted: may end up with the GS cup!

Julia: sitting in 7th overall (4th in GS) - solid!

Fantastic!

Indeed. What a year.

--
Marty

I thought Bode Miller wasn't skiing for the USST anymore. Thought I
read a while back that he was racing as an independent. Did I miss
something?

He's independent.
He's still a US racer. You don't have to belong to a team to ski WC; you
just have to qualify by getting your FIS seed points low enough.
Old March 14th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MichaelJP

"Marty" wrote in message
and already it's a great WC season for the USST:

Bode: most WC wins for US skier, got the overall, got the combined,
(most likely would have won the DH cup if the last race had not been
cancelled). Even his SL was very good this year.

Lindsey: very close to winning the overall, already has the DH cup

Ted: may end up with the GS cup!

Julia: sitting in 7th overall (4th in GS) - solid!

Fantastic!
--
Marty

Why did the FIS cancel the last downhill at Bormio then? They seemed to run
the SG and GS OK...

Shame that such an important race isn't rescheduled, even at another venue
if necessary.. kind of devalues the efforts of the competitors.

Old March 14th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On Mar 13, 12:27*pm, Marty wrote:
and already it's a great WC season for the USST:

Bode: *most WC wins for US skier, got the overall, got the combined,
(most likely would have won the DH cup if the last race had not been
cancelled). *Even his SL was very good this year.

Lindsey: *very close to winning the overall, already has the DH cup

Ted: *may end up with the GS cup!

Julia: *sitting in 7th overall (4th in GS) - solid!

Fantastic!
--
Marty

Vonn got the overall globe and Ligety got the GS globe!

Woooo hooooo!
--
Marty
Old March 14th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On Mar 13, 5:48*pm, Armin wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:27*am, Marty wrote:

and already it's a great WC season for the USST:

Bode: *most WC wins for US skier, got the overall, got the combined,
(most likely would have won the DH cup if the last race had not been
cancelled). *Even his SL was very good this year.

Lindsey: *very close to winning the overall, already has the DH cup

Ted: *may end up with the GS cup!

Julia: *sitting in 7th overall (4th in GS) - solid!

Fantastic!
--
Marty

I thought Bode Miller wasn't skiing for the USST anymore. Thought I
read a while back that he was racing as an independent. Did I miss
something?

He's got his own team - Team America (you know it's play on that
puppet movie - love that!). This allows him to do what he feels works
for him without the USST busting his balls for it. Guess was right
right (again).

Check out his video he
http://www.skispace.com/media.aspx

BTW - Koz (http://www.koznick.com/) did the same thing.
--
Marty
Old March 14th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On Mar 14, 7:55*am, "MichaelJP" wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message

and already it's a great WC season for the USST:

Bode: *most WC wins for US skier, got the overall, got the combined,
(most likely would have won the DH cup if the last race had not been
cancelled). *Even his SL was very good this year.

Lindsey: *very close to winning the overall, already has the DH cup

Ted: *may end up with the GS cup!

Julia: *sitting in 7th overall (4th in GS) - solid!

Fantastic!
--
Marty

Why did the FIS cancel the last downhill at Bormio then? They seemed to run
the SG and GS OK...

Shame that such an important race isn't rescheduled, even at another venue
if necessary.. kind of devalues the efforts of the competitors.

There have been some pretty horrific crashes (in DH and SG) this year
and safety became a huge issue. I think that they were smart in not
runing a DH under questionable conditions. They did run a DH in soft
conditions in Aspen this year (women) and some girls paid the price.

The conditions were better for the SG and in GS, the risk is lower
because the speeds are lower. If you asked Bode and the other racers,
I think he would say they did the right thing. DH needs training runs
- the conditions were not good for that either. No DH training, no
way to race - WAY to dangerous. This being the finals, they are out
of time to reschedule training and and the event. Plus, Cuche desrves
the Globe - seems like a great guy.
--
Marty
Old March 14th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Armin

On Mar 13, 5:23*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
Armin wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:27 am, Marty wrote:
[...]

That's what I thought... that he is no longer associated with the
USST. When you said: "a great WC season for the USST" and then listed
Bode Miller's stellar performance it mad me wonder if he was still
with the team. Thanks for clearing it up. ;-)
Old March 14th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Armin wrote:
I thought Bode Miller wasn't skiing for the USST anymore. Thought I
read a while back that he was racing as an independent. Did I miss
something?

He's independent.
He's still a US racer. You don't have to belong to a team to ski WC; you
just have to qualify by getting your FIS seed points low enough.

That's what I thought... that he is no longer associated with the
USST. When you said: "a great WC season for the USST" and then listed
Bode Miller's stellar performance it mad me wonder if he was still
with the team. Thanks for clearing it up. ;-)

Heh. I hadn't noticed Marty mentioned the USST, so I didn't comment on
that aspect.

This is the second time in the last few years one of the US's best
racers has had to go independent in order to get good coaching and
living/traveling conditions amenable to success. I suspect a flaw in the
USST organization.

Shades of Mark Girardelli.
Old March 14th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Marty wrote:
Plus, Cuche desrves
the Globe - seems like a great guy.

If he ever trains slalom and has even minor success, the rest of the
field is in trouble.