Gemsstock Resort Wraps Glacier for the Summer

Old May 10th 05, 06:31 PM
Walt

Default Gemsstock Resort Wraps Glacier for the Summer

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/sci....glacier.reut/

GEMSSTOCK, Switzerland (Reuters) -- Alarmed by the retreat of
its Alpine glacier, a Swiss ski resort on Tuesday wrapped part
of the shrinking ice-cap in a giant blanket in a bid to reduce
the summer melt.

If successful, officials at the Gemsstock resort above Andermatt
in central Switzerland expect the example to be followed elsewhere
in the Alps, where scientists say glaciers are under threat from
global warming.

Meanwhile, here in America, we are treated to vivid descriptions of the
sand hole that some people have their heads in.

--
//-Walt
//
Old May 10th 05, 06:43 PM
bdubya

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:31:46 -0400, Walt
wrote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/sci....glacier.reut/

GEMSSTOCK, Switzerland (Reuters) -- Alarmed by the retreat of
its Alpine glacier, a Swiss ski resort on Tuesday wrapped part
of the shrinking ice-cap in a giant blanket in a bid to reduce
the summer melt.

If successful, officials at the Gemsstock resort above Andermatt
in central Switzerland expect the example to be followed elsewhere
in the Alps, where scientists say glaciers are under threat from
global warming.

Meanwhile, here in America, we are treated to vivid descriptions of the
sand hole that some people have their heads in.

WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING SADDAM???

bw
Old May 10th 05, 06:48 PM
Walt

bdubya wrote:

WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING SADDAM???

Because he's currently being held in a US prison, and I don't have a
line item veto for the federal budget. Food, housing, haircuts, dental
exams, etc. - I'm helping to pay for all of it.

--
//-Walt
//
Old May 10th 05, 09:04 PM
Johannes

wrote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/sci....glacier.reut/

GEMSSTOCK, Switzerland (Reuters) -- Alarmed by the retreat of
its Alpine glacier, a Swiss ski resort on Tuesday wrapped part
of the shrinking ice-cap in a giant blanket in a bid to reduce
the summer melt.

If successful, officials at the Gemsstock resort above Andermatt
in central Switzerland expect the example to be followed elsewhere
in the Alps, where scientists say glaciers are under threat from
global warming.

Meanwhile, here in America, we are treated to vivid descriptions of the
sand hole that some people have their heads in.

If you got the Realplayer you can watch 2 reports form the swiss
television.

http://real.xobix.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/ts...nd=0:15:10.748

http://real.xobix.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/10...nd=0:05:14.541

Johannes
Old May 18th 05, 09:29 PM
Sue

In message , Walt
writes
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/sci....glacier.reut/

GEMSSTOCK, Switzerland (Reuters) -- Alarmed by the retreat of
its Alpine glacier, a Swiss ski resort on Tuesday wrapped part
of the shrinking ice-cap in a giant blanket in a bid to reduce
the summer melt.

If successful, officials at the Gemsstock resort above Andermatt
in central Switzerland expect the example to be followed elsewhere
in the Alps, where scientists say glaciers are under threat from
global warming.

Much fun has been had at their expense, but it seems they're actually
protecting a packed snow ramp which is needed for skier access.
Wrapping it up will save them building a new one at the start of each
season.
I liked the first story better though.

--
Sue ]3(

At the last annual count, Britain had 544 breweries and rising.