Natasha Richardson

Old March 27th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default Natasha Richardson

On Mar 27, 8:26 am, VtSkier wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
On Mar 26, 11:04 am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

And you don't see the run follows the lift line? Yup, your green MA is
still green as ever, and you' are stuck in your little knowledge's
mediocrity/denial.

IS
--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

...then it went onto cat tracks.

VtSkier was right; your "cat track" is called "Olympic Downhill."

You will notice that the skier in this clip
was not using poles and he was also not doing
the patterns that IS uses when skiing. Was
this Mr. Anonymous that we skied with back in
Early January, and who took our picture at the
top?

Yes, it is him.

IS

Here's another run for your denial,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD_v9VJlgTw

IS

Old March 27th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

*taichiskiing wrote:
And you don't see the run follows the lift line? Yup, your green MA is
still green as ever, and you' are stuck in your little knowledge's
mediocrity/denial.

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

It followed the lift line for a little while...

...then it went onto cat tracks.

VtSkier was right; your "cat track" is called "Olympic Downhill."

Don't let the name go to your head. It's a blue snoozer top to bottom.
Old March 27th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 27, 11:18*am, "MoonMan"
wrote:
pigo wrote:
On Mar 26, 2:30 pm, wrote:
On Mar 24, 8:39 pm, lal_truckee wrote:

Jeff Davis wrote:

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk,

Jeff, that's a damn shame ...

No way to know if a helmet would have helped either Miller or
Richardson, but it's such a simple piece of added protection.

It's hard to understand why rank beginners who know they're going to
fall hard many times

Actually, it's easy to understand, though still unfortunate. Adult
beginners very seldom wear helmets because of (1) the expense and (2)
ignorance.

Far more people have skied over time without helmets than with them. I
imagine that even today most are not so vain as to think that they
need one.

(1) People just starting to ski or snowboard don't want to buy
equipment that they may not ever use again. Until you've had a few
lessons and have spent some time on the slopes, how do you know you
will stick with the sport? You may try it once and then never again.
While skis, snowboards, and boots can be rented easily, and
relatively inexpensively (often packaged with a lesson and a lift
ticket), rental helmets aren't as widely available.

Where can you rent ski's and not helmets? and compared to ski rental, helmet
rental is usually insignificant.

Not all resorts and independent shops that rent skis and boards also
rent helmets, although I think helmet rentals are more common now than
just a few years ago. But the more important thing is that the rental
*package* offered to beginners typically doesn't include a helmet. In
fact, I don't think I've ever seen a beginner's rental package for
adults (not children) that included a helmet as a standard piece of
equipment. So, if a beginner has to ask for it separately, or has to
pay extra for it, he or she probably won't, because of the second
reason I mentioned -- ignorance.

Joe Ramirez
Old March 27th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,

taichiskiing wrote:

And you don't see the run follows the lift line? Yup, your green MA is
still green as ever, and you' are stuck in your little knowledge's
mediocrity/denial.

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

It followed the lift line for a little while...

...then it went onto cat tracks.

VtSkier was right; your "cat track" is called "Olympic Downhill."

Here's another run for your denial,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD_v9VJlgTw

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Sorry, but you've presented a different video as also being on "Olympic
Downhill" and it's clearly a different run.

--
http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg
Old March 27th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,

Jeff Davis wrote:

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk,

Jeff, that's a damn shame ...

No way to know if a helmet would have helped either Miller or
Richardson, but it's such a simple piece of added protection.

It's hard to understand why rank beginners who know they're going to
fall hard many times

Actually, it's easy to understand, though still unfortunate. Adult
beginners very seldom wear helmets because of (1) the expense and (2)
ignorance.

Far more people have skied over time without helmets than with them. I
imagine that even today most are not so vain as to think that they
need one.

Vanity doesn't matter. Falling on your head can kill you and helmets
reduce the risk of that for essentially no cost (other than the purchase
price).

Old March 27th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

*taichiskiing wrote:
And you don't see the run follows the lift line? Yup, your green MA is
still green as ever, and you' are stuck in your little knowledge's
mediocrity/denial.

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

It followed the lift line for a little while...

...then it went onto cat tracks.

VtSkier was right; your "cat track" is called "Olympic Downhill."

Here's another run for your denial,http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=xD_v9VJlgTw

No bumps, no powder, no steeps, few people - what did the guy you
almost rammed 3/4 of the way down say to you?
Old March 27th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Mar 27, 8:49*am, wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:45*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
[rambling deleted]

I gotta tell you, the quality of the content here had become downright
apalling.

Can you please repost your rant in a nonpidgin variant of English? I'd
appreciate it.

Oooh - a grammar lame! Just kidding. I'm bored out of my mind and
figured I'd jump in for a quick dip. (Not implying that that you're a
dip.) The thing with helmets is that they're just so "look at me, I'm
wearing a helmet because I'm (a) a RealSkier, (b) "responsible" or (3)
trying to look cool. Helmet wearers are just a bunch of self-
indulgent wussies that have decided they want to reduce the odds of
suffering a head injury when the slip and fall down the steps to their
slopeside condo after apres-skiing. (Is that redundant?) So, in
summation, I think we should all chime in on THI (The Helmet Issue)
one more time to make sure people either wear them, or don't wear
them, or shove them right up their asses because who really thinks
anything said here has any impact whatsoever on anyones decision-
making process in the first place. You people are really NOT
entertaining me in the least. I can't believe I'm going to say this,
but I thinki miss Scott. There. I said it. I'm sure this means I
really, really need help in the most desperate way.

JP
************************************************** **********************************
MeeeeemmooooorrrriEEEEEES...like the COR-NERS of my mind....
Old March 27th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:51:45 -0500, Dave Cartman
wrote this crap:

I always wear a helmet, but then again, I put my seatbelt on to move my
car out of the garage. It's just a habit.

Wuss. Wuss. WUSS! I say. I live a life of action, adventure, and
danger. I don't wear any steenking helmets. I don't use a seat belt.
I carry a bugle to play reveille to the dumbass in front of me at the
stoplight yakking on the cell phone when the light changes to green.
My enemies fear me, and I have a mighty sword at my side.

I sneered at a barking dog today, and he went running. My minions go
all over the country and they bring back trophies, and treasure beyond
imagination. And they don't wear helmets.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old March 27th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:45:50 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote this crap:

I gotta tell you, the quality of the content here had become downright
apalling.

I agree. There's not enough talk about swords.

And we should be talking more about leadership.

Old March 27th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
fhemmer209

On Mar 24, 5:28*pm, (Jeff Davis) wrote:
In article ,
Alan Baker wrote:

More and more of the pro patrol and ski instructors at Cypress are
starting to wear helmets...

...and I think that next season, I'll be one of them.

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk, a chute
in Rock Springs Canyon, South of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. *She wasn't a
Redgrave. *She was a mountaineer. *She lead a team of women up Cho Oyu,
8201 m on the Nepalese/Chinese border. *She was a perennial JH Ski Patroler.
She was an owner of Jackson Hole Mountain Guides. *Her ex-husband, Rob Hess,
was the 3rd American to summit Everest without the use of suplemental oxygen,
(and signed off on my Level III Mountain Guide Certification from the American
Avalanche Institute). *She died the day after Natasha Richardson.

If a magnificent athlete like Kathryn died from skiing without a helmet, what
chance does a junk show wedgie like you have? *Nice to see the Darwin Principle
in force here Alan. *Next year never gets here. *All we have is here now.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Sorry to hear that, Jeff. Isn't that the area accessible from the top
of the inbounds section?

Fred