Info about Tonale (Italy) - plaese

Old February 11th 05, 11:33 AM
Ignat

Default Info about Tonale (Italy) - plaese

Hello!!
I'm going to Tonale (Italy) this year. Please tell me if it's a good place
for skiing?
Has anyone been there before?
I'm quite experienced skiier, so tell me please if Tonale is a place where I
can have some fun?
Also I would appreciate infos regarding some good places to spend evenings
like bars, pubs etc.

Thanks for your help

Ignat

Old February 11th 05, 07:38 PM
Paul Crabtree

web cam for you and some other links to the spot

http://www.adamelloski.com/indexen.html

I havent been myself but my son is off in the morning, fingers crossed for
some more snow

cheers
paulc

Old February 11th 05, 10:21 PM
jls.ingram

I went there about six years ago, and have never been back as I had the best
skiing holiday I've ever had, and don't want to spoil the memory by going
again, (its never the same 2nd time around) When we arrived in Tonale it
was late afternoon snowing mist and very bleak looking. A passing rep said
rather glumly that it was always like this in Tonale. Next morning and for
the next eight days bright sun and powder. It is a high resort well above
the tree line with a mixture of easy slopes and a more challenging reds , a
couple of blacks right at the top. We met up with a two or three other
groups of mixed skiing ability, everyone enjoyed their holiday . The bars
in town are ok, There is an ice rink , when we were there there was
floodlit skiing I think about once every couple of nights which are great
fun. Skidoo trips at night up to mountains restaurants and flare torch
descents!. 90% of resort is on one side of the valley. Since on the last
day I was looking after less adventurous skiers we stayed in the main
resort. and had a great last day. On the other side of the valley a cable
car makes an as cent to an area of red runs very high up. The only way down
is a black run which my companions said was not a red run in disguise but a
pure black icy run down to the valley below. I always regret about not
doing this run. and got bored with intrepid tales of those who spent there
last day there. You will enjoy Tonale ,don't be put off by first
appearance its a great little place. ps let us know if you do "THE Big
Black run across the road" Have a good time Issy.

Old February 13th 05, 05:29 PM
John

I can thoroughly recommend Passo Tonale, skied there twice and going again
next year.
A good spot to socialize is the bar under the Sport Vittoria Hotel, just
opposite the Ski school meeting place. happy hour 4:30 till 5:30.
Skied the big black, along with my 11 year old twins, its steep at the top
but widens towards the bottom and its a blast!!
Good hotels are the Sport Vittoria and the Miramonti, right opposite the ski
school and lifts.

Old February 18th 05, 02:41 PM
Ignat

Tahnks for Your help skiers

Uzytkownik "David Mahon" napisal w wiadomosci
In article , Ignat writes
Hello!!
I'm going to Tonale (Italy) this year. Please tell me if it's a good

place
for skiing?
Has anyone been there before?

I went there in 2000 I think. Unfortunately, despite it's high altitude,
the snow was scanty (late in season) off the glacier. The glacier itself
(on the other side of the road) was icy.

It's all above the tree line, so it's a bit bleak if the weather was
bad.

There aren't that many restaurants. On the plus side, the pistes weren't
at all crowded and there was little queuing for lifts.

I'm quite experienced skiier, so tell me please if Tonale is a place

where I
can have some fun?

I can't say it was any more than OK. But the snow was poor that year so
maybe it isn't normally like that.

Also I would appreciate infos regarding some good places to spend

evenings
like bars, pubs etc.

At night it's reasonably quiet. There are a few biger bars that have
happy hours just after the pistes close, which is the only time they
seemed to be busy.

--
David Mahon