Telemarking on Non Fluffy Snow

Old March 11th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Peter Clinch

Default Telemarking on Non Fluffy Snow

_Uli wrote:

Mike, don't you think that's a little bit too much theory?

Well, it was pretty heavy, but better have the theory behind you as
something you can refer to.

For me, the best thing to learn telemarking (and skiing generally) in
bad or difficult snow conditions is: Do it!

Up to a point. When I got my first proper lessons I made more
progress in one week than in the previous 5 full seasons (and that
was back when "season" meant more than odd days here in Scotland).

Practice works better when you've some theory to work from, and
troubleshooting your own faults pretty much requires solid thory
behind it if you're going to do a good job.

Trust you're feelings and make the skis go! :-) :-)

I trusted my feelings, and planted my head! ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 11th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
_Uli

Am Sonntag, den 11.03.2007, 17:40 +0000 schrieb Peter Clinch:

Practice works better when you've some theory to work from, and
troubleshooting your own faults pretty much requires solid thory
behind it if you're going to do a good job.

That's true. But works better (if not only) under the condition you have
someone who knows and can teach the technical tricks *ON THE FIELD*.
Just from books (or writings) i don't believe in ... so much ...

Trust you're feelings and make the skis go! :-) :-)

I trusted my feelings, and planted my head! ;-/

Know what? It's a famous saying (among the skitrainers): Who does not
fall does not learn (which means, if you're trying out something, you
*WILL* fail - and eventually crash. But that's the only way you'll
learn ... :-) ).

Cheers,

Uli

Old March 18th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Mike

Yep, I guess I did get a little carried away with the tech talk, but felt
that from the way the original question was phrased, this is what EdV was
looking for. Mileage on skis (in all conditions) is still the best way to
improve, but in addition, my personal experience is that after a few
lessons, which include some tech talk and drills specific to the technical
explanation, my skiing improved exponentially when compared to doggedly
hammering away making the same mistakes. Old habits are hard to break and
sometimes it takes the trained eye of an experienced instructor to see what
you need to do to take your skiing, boarding, telemarking to the next level.

I did also provide a couple of drills in my tech drivel too, right?? : )

Here are a few good tips from the site telemarktips.com's Danno Cruz.

Stay low and you will flow
Look ahead and you will shred
Hands in front
Steer with your knees.....anyplace else, that's $100 please.....

Not sure I fully agree with the stay low part, but most of it makes a lot of
sense and it's good for a chuckle...easy to remember

--
Mike