Back from Pila

Old January 7th 09, 12:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Perdita Stevens

Default Back from Pila

Since last March I asked for opinions on Pila, and we're just back, I
thought I'd post a brief report, mostly for the benefit of anyone searching
the archives in future.

- Our 5yo had a great time in ski school, and made amazing progress. In
particular it's not true that the ski school doesn't take them under 7 - he
wasn't even the youngest. Instructor spoke good English, though the group
was multi-lingual and in practice group instructions seemed to be given in
Italian only - didnt' seem to stop ours understanding though!

- All the red runs, i.e. practically all the runs, did indeed feel far far
easier than Val Thorens reds. That said, some of this will be difference in
the snow conditions rather than in the grading - the week we were there the
snow was pretty well perfect.

- The lifts, and especially the restaurants, got somewhat crowded at the
weekend of the New Year week, but even then the slopes were not crowded.
During the week they were often weirdly empty.

- One of the very few blacks on the piste map didn't seem to exist on the
ground at all, i.e., resort was even more limited for advanced skiers than
you'd think.

- We stayed at the Hotel Plan Bois in the end, for proximity to ski school.
Couldn't really recommend it - helpful staff and comfortable rooms, but
poor shower (and no bath) and poor food.

Thanks again for advice earlier!

Perdita

Pila Perdita Stevens European Ski Resorts 14 May 13th 08 08:24 PM
OEB is back again! Terje Mathisen Nordic Skiing 3 January 25th 08 06:22 PM
Back ... lal_truckee Alpine Skiing (moderated) 7 September 11th 06 12:50 PM
I'm back :) Lisa Horton Alpine Skiing 12 September 13th 05 06:55 AM
Back lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 3 April 14th 05 09:11 PM