alp d'huez

Old November 25th 04, 03:28 PM
nic in la tania

Default alp d'huez

whats alp d'huez like , may be going over to look at a business over there ,
does anyone know much about the bars/restaurants & nightlife ??

good snow record ?
gimme all your info pleeeeeese

--
Cheers
Nic & Karen

Old November 25th 04, 10:19 PM
David Off

nic in la tania wrote:
good snow record ?

here is a picture from just before last Christmas

http://mapage.noos.fr/pistehors/imag.../alpedhuez.jpg

a bit like la Tania but without trees I would think :-)
Old November 26th 04, 05:53 PM
Pip Luscher

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:28:44 +0100, "nic in la tania"
wrote:

whats alp d'huez like , may be going over to look at a business over there ,
does anyone know much about the bars/restaurants & nightlife ??

good snow record ?
gimme all your info pleeeeeese

Well, I've only been there once in late season and that was roughly a
decade ago, but:

The village is in a sort of bowl that's south facing, so it's sunny
but can get very icy. Some "intermediate" pistes can get crowded.

The village is steeper than it looks on the maps (well, it is in ski
boots) but there is a "bucket lift" that'll get you across the
village... eventually.

There appeared to be a fair bit of challenging stuff, including some
easily accessible off-piste runs. At the time I wasn't confident
enough to try the blacks - it was *very* icy when I went and I wasn't
that experienced.

There was a very nice mountain restaraunt on the way to Vaujany.

If the Gorges de Sarenne is closed (and thus the Sarenne black too)
then the only way to the Signal de l'Homme area is via a long chair
that goes over tennis courts, under the altiport runway, down into the
Gorges de Sarenne and up the other side. They call it "the scare
chair". It's nowhere near as scary as it's made out to be, though.

I'm not a great Apres-ski person, but the English bar in our club
hotel was lively and there was a nice restaraunt elsewhere in the
village that did a free taxi service.

I'd like to visit the place again under better conditions.

--
-Pip

Old November 26th 04, 08:56 PM
Sue

In message , David
Off writes
nic in la tania wrote:
good snow record ?

here is a picture from just before last Christmas

http://mapage.noos.fr/pistehors/imag.../alpedhuez.jpg

a bit like la Tania but without trees I would think :-)

You're right, it's absolutely nothing like la Tania !

--
Sue ];(