Austria march 12-20

Old November 10th 04, 06:13 PM
HaMPeL

Default Austria march 12-20

Hi,
we're planning on a sking-trip on 12-20 march.

Until now, we've always skied at the end of january, beginning of
february in several of the big resorts in France, but are now thinking
of going to Austria instead.

Is there anyone who could comment on what to expect in Auatria in that
period/ I noticed that many of the larger resorts (Söll, Saalbach, ..)
do not reach much higher than 2000 meters. Could this be a problem at
that time a year?

I looked at the istorical snow reports at the skiclub, but I need some
reference: 20cm of snow on the lower slopes, is that still skiable, of
should I expect brown spots on the piste, or even worse taking the chair
back down from the "mittelstation"?

So would you consider going to austria (we're thinking on Söll, Sölden,
Saalbach, Fiss) in that period, or should we better head for one of the
high resorts in France and leave Austria till next time, maybe in
february? (girlfriend is very keen on good snow conditions and having
her appartement closeby the piste; if this year fails, taking her to
Austria a second time will be very hard)

Thx,
HaMPeL
Old November 11th 04, 01:03 PM
Ralf Langanke

HaMPeL wrote:

Hi,
we're planning on a sking-trip on 12-20 march.

Until now, we've always skied at the end of january, beginning of
february in several of the big resorts in France, but are now thinking
of going to Austria instead.

Is there anyone who could comment on what to expect in Auatria in that
period/ I noticed that many of the larger resorts (Söll, Saalbach, ..)
do not reach much higher than 2000 meters. Could this be a problem at
that time a year?

I don't think so.

I looked at the istorical snow reports at the skiclub, but I need some
reference: 20cm of snow on the lower slopes, is that still skiable, of
should I expect brown spots on the piste, or even worse taking the chair
back down from the "mittelstation"?

It is still skiable, but you should expect brown spots on the slopes and
the snow is very wet and heavy at afternoon.

So would you consider going to austria (we're thinking on Söll, Sölden,
Saalbach, Fiss) in that period, or should we better head for one of the
high resorts in France and leave Austria till next time, maybe in
february? (girlfriend is very keen on good snow conditions and having
her appartement closeby the piste; if this year fails, taking her to
Austria a second time will be very hard)

I can only talk about the resorts Lech, Ischgl and St. Anton. There it
is possible to ski the lower slopes till mid of April normaly.

Regards
--
Ralf Langanke

http://www.slanganke.de
Old November 11th 04, 05:20 PM
Paul Kelly

In message , HaMPeL
writes

[...]

**
girlfriend is very keen on good snow conditions and having her
appartement closeby the piste; if this year fails, taking her to
Austria a second time will be very hard)

**
Suspect this is the most important part of your posting. Have you
thought about Obergurgl or Obertauern.

Soll (Ski Welt) lets you cover a lot of ground but I was a bit stuck
with the poor snow on the lower slopes when I was there with a timid old
timer and he did not want to do the work to get away to other areas.
Atmosphere in Saalbach was fantastic but snow did vary a bit - been to
the area three times.

You'll love the atmosphere of Austria but choose carefully for your age
and inclinations. Invest in one of the guides and read about every
resort first.

I do not think you'll find many ski in ski out places in Austria for
instance.

And you will probably be surprised how hot you are at that time of year
compared with January.

--
PK
Old November 13th 04, 06:56 AM
HaMPeL

Paul Kelly wrote:
In message , HaMPeL
writes

[...]

Thank you all for your suggestions. Plans have changed a bit since last
week, We will be going in a small group, and therefore -unfortunately-
stick to France.
Comparing the prices of appartments between France and Austria shows
that the first is much more affordable.

We're now considering several of the smaller resorts, that still have
quite large area's (les Carroz/Morillion (Grand Massif), St. Sorlin
(Sybelles), Valloire, Valmorel (Grand Domaine) and also large and
good-old l'Alpe d'Huez). Also here the difference between these places,
and more established ones like Tignes etc. are striking. The french seem
to have reinvented their appartment-building-concept in these smaller
places, as many of them include indooor swiming pools, and other
facilities at much lower prices.

Are there, apart from the smaller ski-area's, other potential problems
with these resorts?

THX,
HaMPeL
Old November 13th 04, 11:21 AM
Steve

We're now considering several of the smaller resorts, that still have
quite large area's (les Carroz/Morillion (Grand Massif), St. Sorlin
(Sybelles), Valloire, Valmorel (Grand Domaine) and also large and
good-old l'Alpe d'Huez). Also here the difference between these places,
and more established ones like Tignes etc. are striking. The french seem

to have reinvented their appartment-building-concept in these smaller
places, as many of them include indooor swiming pools, and other
facilities at much lower prices.

Are there, apart from the smaller ski-area's, other potential problems
with these resorts?

Morillion / Les Carroz are low (around 1000 metres or less) so if it's
ski to the door that you want then these aren't for you. Les Carroz
gondala is a right old hike from most of the accomodation. I've seen
Flaine with a metre + on the lowers in Jan/Feb but Les Carroz and
Morillion were grass !...

Steve

Old November 13th 04, 01:04 PM
HaMPeL

Steve wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks for this info; I'll strike those two then.. :-)

HaMPeL
Old November 15th 04, 07:51 AM
Paul Schofield

"HaMPeL" wrote in message
Paul Kelly wrote:

....snipped stuff...

Thank you all for your suggestions. Plans have changed a bit since last
week, We will be going in a small group, and therefore -unfortunately-
stick to France.
We're now considering several of the smaller resorts, that still have
quite large area's (les Carroz/Morillion (Grand Massif), St. Sorlin
(Sybelles), Valloire, Valmorel (Grand Domaine) and also large and
good-old l'Alpe d'Huez).

£ years ago I stayed in P&V apartments in Valmeinier 1800 which is joined
with Valloire. These were all ski out/ski in and were reasonably spacious
with decent facilities (including pool & bar in building). The local
restaurants were fine, but nightlife was a bit restricted. You got a
subsidised day's skiing in Val Thorens with a weeks ski pass, short drive to
Orelles gondola in the valley below. Skiing in resort and adjoining mountain
to Valloire was good and not too busy, but runs in Valloire itself weren't
worth the effort as they were much busier. Perhaps limited for more advanced
skiers but there are a few off-piste opportunities. Ski school was ESF only
with mixed language groups - so mostly in French.

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old November 25th 04, 06:43 PM
Hermann Ströbl

Beside prices, the main differences are skiing possibilities and...
altitude, which can be crucial these days.

By the way, Tignes skiing area is great, but architecture stinks...

Prefer Val D'Isere, and Méribel or Courchevel 1850 in the 3 Valleys.

Hermann

Old November 26th 04, 09:03 PM
Sue

In message , Hermann Ströbl
writes
Beside prices, the main differences are skiing possibilities and...
altitude, which can be crucial these days.

By the way, Tignes skiing area is great, but architecture stinks...

Prefer Val D'Isere, and Méribel or Courchevel 1850 in the 3 Valleys.

Are you booking now, or waiting to see what the snow's like?

--
Sue ];(