Recommendations for snowboarding in the Tahoe area?

Old January 6th 05, 03:07 AM

Default Recommendations for snowboarding in the Tahoe area?

I will be in Reno for business next week and intend to snowboard in the
Tahoe area. I am looking for recommendations on which resort to go to.

Considerations:
- I consider myself an expert snowboarder
- I enjoy black diamonds and trees
- Always search the edges of any resort for hidden powder
- I'm 38 and don't care for terrain parks
- Looking for a place with minimal flat spots
- Driving from Reno

In the past I have gone to Northstar and enjoyed the back sides (black
diamond only areas). Went to Squaw once but it was a bad snow year and
there were lots of rocks, I wasn't too impressed.

Also, I am renting a 4WD vehicle. Do I really need to get chains too?
I'm expecting I can manage by taking my time if we get snow. (I
understand the rental company prohibits chains and had clauses against
driving in alpine areas but am going to take my chances...)

Old January 6th 05, 03:33 AM
David

wrote in message ups.com...
In the past I have gone to Northstar and enjoyed the back sides (black
diamond only areas). Went to Squaw once but it was a bad snow year and
there were lots of rocks, I wasn't too impressed.

Lots of snow at Squaw, and nearby Alpine Meadows now.

I understand the Mt Rose resort is bigger this season. It's really close to Reno. Other than
that I have no idea how well it meets your needs.
http://www.skirose.com/

Also look at www.snowbomb.com for info on the major Tahoe area resorts. Unfortunately
the reviews section seems to be down right now.

Also, I am renting a 4WD vehicle. Do I really need to get chains too?

I wouldn't. Unlikely you'll be required to put 'em on a 4x4.

Old January 6th 05, 03:40 AM
jaycb74

Mt. Rose is about 30 minutes from Reno, good terrain, ride the backside,
lots of powder stashes and fun natural terrain. Plus they just opened the
"chutes", extreme black and double black terrain on the frontside. Not the
largest mtn. but plenty to keep you busy for a couple days.

Northstar is good during the week, just stay away on weekends. Squaw, same
thing...best big mtn. terrain on the north shore. Right down the road is
Alpine, another fun/big mtn. There is so much snow right now you probably
won't even see a rock. Squaw and Alpine got about 9 feet of snow last
week and another 4-5 is forecast for this weekend!

You won't need chains, even in the worst storms they aren't needed if you
have 4WD and know how to drive it.

Let me know if you have any other ?s, I ride all over Tahoe very frequently.

ups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 01:19 PM
Champ

On 5 Jan 2005 20:07:16 -0800, wrote:

I will be in Reno for business next week and intend to snowboard in the
Tahoe area. I am looking for recommendations on which resort to go to.

Considerations:
- I consider myself an expert snowboarder
- I enjoy black diamonds and trees
- Always search the edges of any resort for hidden powder
- I'm 38 and don't care for terrain parks
- Looking for a place with minimal flat spots
- Driving from Reno

Just spent a week in a cheap motel in Carson city, driving to Kirkwood
each day. The drive takes about an hour (well, it took us an hour.
But then we did drive in a european style and overtook quite a few
cars going slower than us). Reno is only 30 miles north of Carson, on
a good road, so would only add a little to your journey.

I've ridden at Squaw, Alpine, Northstar and Homewood before in the
Tahoe area, and must say I was very impressed with Kirkwood. There
was a good amount of terrain, and all but the very top of a couple of
lifts is within the tree line, so lots of tree-riding, and reasonable
vis when the weather is down (which it pretty much was all week).

I'm your sort of age, and it sounds like we like the same sort of
thing (trees, powder, steeps, not bothered about terrain parks).
There are a couple of places where Kirk is bit flat, but no problem if
you know about them.

Also, I am renting a 4WD vehicle. Do I really need to get chains too?
I'm expecting I can manage by taking my time if we get snow.

We had a Trailblazer with snow tyres and it coped with snow covered
roads with no problems whatsoever, so *if* you're getting a vehicle
with snow tyres you won't need chains.

--
Champ
Old January 6th 05, 06:21 PM
John Davison

Have you thought about Mammoth? It's a further drive, but has the
terrain you're looking for.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/plan/getting_here/

Mammoth has received a TON of snow in the last few weeks with more on
it's way this weekend. (They received 100" in the last week.)
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0662_f.html

-- J.

Old January 7th 05, 02:04 AM
Brian

This weekend is going to bring loads more snow on top of the latest dumping
we just received. So personally, I'd go to Squaw. Nothing beats it in good
conditions; you just had a bad snow day last time apparently. There is
something for absolutely everyone at Squaw, and you'll be hard pressed to
find it all in a single day. For proximity to Reno, though, Mt. Rose is the
ticket to save some driving. It's a smaller resort than Squaw - maybe
roughly equivalent to or even slightly smaller than Northstar, but with more
advanced terrain. They just opened "The Chutes" this season which is all
double black, and looks like loads of fun. Though for some reason they
didn't run a lift to the top of them, so you have to take two lifts back
after coming down, but still - it's there!

Good luck. You're here at the right time for snow!

Brian.

ups.com...

Old January 7th 05, 02:09 AM
Brian

"Champ" wrote in message

I've ridden at Squaw, Alpine, Northstar and Homewood before in the
Tahoe area, and must say I was very impressed with Kirkwood. There
was a good amount of terrain, and all but the very top of a couple of
lifts is within the tree line, so lots of tree-riding, and reasonable
vis when the weather is down (which it pretty much was all week).

Another thing to mention about Kirkwood, is that on any given day the snow
quality usually bests all other Tahoe resorts. Something to do with their
location to the valley or something or other... But whatever the
explanation, in my experience it's true!

Brian.

Old January 7th 05, 04:05 PM
Mike T

Another thing to mention about Kirkwood, is that on any given day the snow
quality usually bests all other Tahoe resorts. Something to do with their
location to the valley or something or other... But whatever the
explanation, in my experience it's true!

A few factors:

- highest elevation of the Tahoe resorts (technically Heavenly goes up as
high but a lot of Heavenly is lower)
-farther away from the lake; water tends to moderate temperatures
-mostly north facing slopes