eBay

Old April 19th 05, 03:54 AM
Dmitry

"lonerider" wrote

I bought a Burton Fish with P1MD bindings off of Ebay.

BTW, I was absolutely astonished when I finally got to try my
Fish. One of the last powder days at Baker, took the wraps
off and mounted the Nidecker Carbons (that have a handy
"slightly covered with plastic" hole in the disks for 3-hole mount).

This board rocks in powder! No back leg burn, very maneurable,
etc. The most surprising thing was how it handled in tracked
powder. Because it has such a small tail it goes through powder
with a pretty high "attack angle", and when you're crossing someone
else's track it doesn't throw you off nearly as much as on a regular
board.

It's not bad at all outside of powder fields eigher.. Takes a little
getting used to, but I can easily imagine it being my only board.

Old April 19th 05, 07:47 AM
Mick The Merciless

On 18 Apr 2005 13:08:53 -0700, "ScottishCanadian"
wrote:

sniping - beware, there are people who use automated sniping programs

and you can get outbid in the last few seconds of an auction.

yea, i did a bit of "sniping", its fun!

thanks again,
ScottishCanadian

Count me as a happy sniper - i use :
www.auctionstealer.com which places your bid inside the last 20
seconds of an auction (and it's a free service).

Although this doesn't mean you shouldn't bid the highest amount you're
willing to pay, the advantage is that IF you bid early on the item,
and IF somebody else bids after you AND they don't beat your highest
price, they MAY go away and think about it a bit and put in another
bid later on.

With a sniping program they don't get the chance to think about it if
you've bid more than they have.

I have noaffiliation with auctionstealer - there are other similar
services around you can try, it's just that this one works fine for
me.
Old April 19th 05, 12:52 PM
tg

"Dmitry" null@null wrote in message

"lonerider" wrote

I bought a Burton Fish with P1MD bindings off of Ebay.

BTW, I was absolutely astonished when I finally got to try my
Fish. One of the last powder days at Baker, took the wraps
off and mounted the Nidecker Carbons (that have a handy
"slightly covered with plastic" hole in the disks for 3-hole mount).

This board rocks in powder! No back leg burn, very maneurable,
etc. The most surprising thing was how it handled in tracked
powder. Because it has such a small tail it goes through powder
with a pretty high "attack angle", and when you're crossing someone
else's track it doesn't throw you off nearly as much as on a regular
board.

It's not bad at all outside of powder fields eigher.. Takes a little
getting used to, but I can easily imagine it being my only board.

I also picked up a Burton Fish off of ebay last summer. Great board and
handles better on groomed than I expected. It has almost become the only
board I use. Works great in the spring slush as well. Watch all the skiers
bog down while you go flying past!

Old April 19th 05, 03:48 PM
lonerider

tg wrote:
[...]

I definitely enjoy my Burton Fish. It makes riding the powder in the
trees effortless as everyone says and you can start zipping between
trees at 20+ mph with a lot of confidance.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to say it would be my regular board.
It handles very well on the groomed in terms of short, swishy carves.
But it is a Burton board, which have tiny sidecut radius like most
Burton boards 7.5m and I personally prefer a longer sidecut like 8m at
least so you can do wider, higher speed (but not crazy fast) GS style
S-turns. So it can get a little boring although it rides extremely well
switch considering. It's performance in the park is also decent, but
not amazing... I'm not Terje so I can't get 5 ft out of the pipe like
with my regular board. Obviously spins are little awkward (I always end
up overrotating on the ground because the board's nose is "heavy"),
actually jumps in general where you end up with your weight too far
back on you tail unless you really keep you weight forward on takeout.
For that I like my Donek Phoenix, it has a decent amount of float in
powder, is still relatively easy to take through the trees and bumps
(Fish is better), but is excellent in all the areas that the Fish
noticeably lacks in. Just my personal preference. I think Champ/ID(?)
also really like the Fish as an all-round board so I'm mostly in the
minority.

Old April 19th 05, 10:14 PM

"Selling stuff on eBay makes you want to think twice about buying
anything there.

Guess how much my Palmer Channel Titanium went for? "Used once"
condition, some dude paid $410 for it not including shipping! Yes it's
pretty darn rare board, but the rest of the stuff I was selling also
made me
pleasantly surprised. "

Yeah, I've noticed this too. On a lot of stuff, you see people bidding
a lot more than you would think anyone in their right mind would. When
I was buying a digital camera, dummies on ebay were paying like $375
for a camera that you could buy at a major store for $400. And of
course unless you're buying it from a authorized vendor, which most of
the ebay guys aren't, you likely don't have a warranty. Then, God only
knows what you really get, as some of these cameras are the
foreign/export only ones, etc. You can find some great deals on Ebay,
but it's not always the place to look for saving $25 bucks on something
like this.

I got around $85 bucks for a K2 snowboard bag I sold on Ebay. It was a
year old, but still in good shape. I bought the replacement, larger,
better one from an online store for like $110. I would never have paid
more than about $50 for the one I sold.