What to do with ski boots that are too big?

Old December 29th 03, 07:04 PM
wh0cares

Default What to do with ski boots that are too big?

Hey there fellow skiers/riders.

I come seeking help and advice. Recently, I made the mistake of
purchasing ski boots that are a little too big. Since they have been
heat molded and I've already skied in them, the shop refuses to
exchange them.

I can't afford to shell out another couple of hundred bucks for new
boots so for now, I'll try to make do with what I have.

Is there any way to make these boots fit better? I've read about
footbeds and am going to try them out to see if there's any
improvement in boot fit.

Also, if anyone has links to other products designed to improve boot
fit, please post them.

Any suggestions and tips are well appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Skiing!
Old December 29th 03, 09:43 PM
determined

"wh0cares" wrote in message
m...
Hey there fellow skiers/riders.

I come seeking help and advice. Recently, I made the mistake of
purchasing ski boots that are a little too big. Since they have been
heat molded and I've already skied in them, the shop refuses to
exchange them.

I can't afford to shell out another couple of hundred bucks for new
boots so for now, I'll try to make do with what I have.

Is there any way to make these boots fit better? I've read about
footbeds and am going to try them out to see if there's any
improvement in boot fit.

Also, if anyone has links to other products designed to improve boot
fit, please post them.

Any suggestions and tips are well appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Skiing!

How much too big? I bought Down Under foot beds, and it seems that they
take up at least a half a size...

Old December 29th 03, 11:31 PM
lal_truckee

determined wrote:

"wh0cares" wrote in message
m...

Hey there fellow skiers/riders.

I come seeking help and advice. Recently, I made the mistake of
purchasing ski boots that are a little too big. Since they have been
heat molded and I've already skied in them, the shop refuses to
exchange them.

First, try lifting your foot in the boot - if you have an orthotic
footbed, shim under it with thin plastic; If you don't, get a footbed
and see what that does for you, then take option (a) above.

Second, what the hell kind of ski shop sold you a boot that was the
wrong size? That's why they take the inner boot out and fit your foot to
the shell to start with - so they don't make such mistakes. I'd raise
holy hell if I was depending on the shop bootfitting experts to fit me
and they screwed up. You are within your rights to expect them to
replace the boots with the proper size - they were the parties that
screwed up! They absolutely should exchange them (unless you insisted
vehemently on the wrong size against their advice, or something.)

Wait! I just had an awful thought. You didn't buy these at a sporting
goods store instead of a real ski shop with expert bootfitters, did you?
In that case, you're on your own. Try the lifts.

Old December 29th 03, 11:53 PM
Richard Walsh

lal_truckee wrote in bsqh0s$e0ae$1@ID-
90251.news.uni-berlin.de:

determined wrote:

"wh0cares" wrote in message
m...

[...]

What he said...
Plus, try butterfly shaped sticky foam spacers around the heel
and ankle area. If you are on the last notch on your buckles,
you can, depending on the style of the buckles, obtain shorter
wire bales; move the buckles (easy on top two, hard on bottom
two), generally fill the space between the shell and the liner
with resillient material (fairly hard foam), duct tape is your
friend.

Also, rigid shims between the bottom of the shell and the bottom
of the liner (outside of the liner) AFTER you have installed
custom inner soles, work better than shimming up the bottom of
the inner sole inside the liner.

RW
Old December 30th 03, 01:56 PM
wh0cares

Hey,

Yeah, I admit that I purchased the boots at a sporting goods store,
but they are supposedly also a qualified ski shop. It was right before
the holidays and there were tons of people in the store. The sales
people didn't seem like they wanted to be there and put forth no
effort in properly measuring my foot in the shell and so on. But I
also partly blame myself for not having done the proper research
before buying my boots. However, I have since blacklisted this shop
due to their terrible service.

The boots are about 1 size too big and I only really noticed that once
I was on the slopes. The weight of the skis made the bottom of my
feet lift slightly from the boot whenever I'd go over bumps or
whatnot. Also noticed that my legs tired out after only a few runs
down the mountain, which is not normal for me.

After I got home that time, I did some more reading about bootfitting
and concluded that they are indeed too big.

In any case, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll surely know better
the next time I shop for boots.
Old December 30th 03, 11:11 PM
Doug

Sell them!

Use them as doorstops!

Use them as planters?

Use them as bookends!

Go to a shop and get some boots that fit properly!

m...

Old December 31st 03, 02:04 AM
The Real Bev

Doug wrote:

Sell them!

Use them as doorstops!

Use them as planters?

Use them as bookends!

Go to a shop and get some boots that fit properly!

A possible scumbag (cheap) solution: carve up some footbed-analogs from
thong sandals (toss the thongs, of course). Yes, I've done it. To fit
my duck feet boots have to be too big or blown out, and the thong
"footbeds" took up an awful lot of slack. Couldn't make the TNTs any
lighter, though :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 1st 04, 05:37 PM
houseslave

I believe that ski shops sell padded shims to help make the boot smaller.
You can also try adding padding to the bottom of the boot to raise your foot
in the boot and thicker socks.

"Doug" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Sell them!

Use them as doorstops!

Use them as planters?

Use them as bookends!

Go to a shop and get some boots that fit properly!

m...