Atomic TM:EX reports ?

Old February 18th 04, 12:45 AM
DaveSenesac

Default Atomic TM:EX reports ?

One new ski this year I have been interested in thus was hoping to
hear some reports on since were into the third quarter of the season
now. Have read all Atomic web information and ski magazine reports
but would like to hear something from real skiers before I plunk down
big bucks. -dave
Old February 18th 04, 04:48 AM
Scott Grothe

I bought the ski in a 184 cm length w/ Rainey Hammerhead bindings this fall,
and ski them with Crispi CXP's. I weigh 195 lbs & am 6'2" and 42 years old.
I would say I'm an 8 to an 8.5 on a scale from 1 (beginner) to 10 (expert)
tele skier, with average aggression (a bit more than average for a 42 year
old with free heels). I ski both backcountry and areas. Enjoy powder the
most, bumps the least. I like turns of all radii, but favor tight
"carvers". However, I like to tuck & run when the slopes aren't crowded and
I can live out my Franz Klammer/Bill Johnson/Tommy Moe fantasies.

In the backcountry...the ski floats well and turns on a dime when I need it
to in the tight trees (just as tight as my Tua Megas). I appreciate its
crust busting abilities, better than my Megas and Tua Cirques, or Asnes
A-Skis. It is a heavy ski (even for a fatty), but I don't really notice all
that weight as long as I keep the ski on the snow when slogging in and up on
a skin & ski day trip. No complaints when side hill skinning with shaped
skins on all but the firmest windblown. It doesn't feel too squirrelly at
speed in the powder.

On the groomers...carves fine in most everything except very firm to icy
conditions. Speed can bring out a squirrelly feeling for me. However, it's
hard for me to leave my Rossignol Attack's in the truck when the conditions
are getting close to the firm side of things. Busting crud and skied out
pow is pretty fun on these boards...a lot of confidence there. The tips
don't get thrown around by much. It also has a good springy feel to the
rebound. Don't know how they do in the bumps, but I'd be the last person
you want an opinion from in that area...I also have 42 year old knees.

They were pricey boards, but after skiing on them this season, they would
still be my first choice for a backcountry day or multi-day ski, or a powder
day at the area, especially if I always had access to my Attacks for most
days on the local hill.

Hope it all helps...and the results of others may vary.

. ..

Old February 18th 04, 09:51 AM
Thomas Sperre

"Scott Grothe" wrote in
nk.net...
snip
It is a heavy ski (even for a fatty), but I don't really notice all
that weight as long as I keep the ski on the snow when slogging in and up

on
a skin & ski day trip.

Scott, a friend of mine has 1 year old TM:EX. I think they are about 190 cm.
I ski Fischer Big Stix (84 mm version of 4 years ago) approx same length.
Based on our expreiences, I find your weight comment a bit strange as his
skis are definetly a lot lighter than mine. (And they are roughly the same
calibre). In fact, we have agreed that Atomic at the moment appear to be
capable of producing stronger skis with less weight due to their Beta
profile technology.
IMHO the Atomix TM:EX is lighter, snappier and better in firm conditions
than the Fischer Big stix, while the Big Stix have better dampening which
makes it more comfortable at high speeds off the firm ground, but also makes
it feel more sluggish in shorter turns and not to mention on the way up. If
you never ever ski lift serviced I would recommend the Atomic.

Both Fischer Big Stix and TM:EX are very good skis by the way, and both are
good buys if the price is right. Enjoy!

Thomas Sperre

Old February 18th 04, 07:18 PM
DaveSenesac

Thanks a lot Scott for your excellent review. Got me more closer to
making a buy. Obviously can arc some nice medium radius turns in
powder per web info. One related facet I wonder about is whether it
can porpoise shorter powder turns when one is aggressive bouncing
down? -dave

"Scott Grothe" wrote in message news:
I bought the ski in a 184 cm length... In the backcountry...the ski floats well and turns on a dime when I need it
to in the tight trees (just as tight as my Tua Megas). ... The tips
don't get thrown around by much. It also has a good springy feel to the
rebound.

.... but would like to hear something from real skiers before I
plunk down
big bucks. -dave

Atomic skis Marinus European Ski Resorts 3 February 23rd 05 05:01 PM
Atomic warranty Jon C Alpine Skiing 1 February 11th 04 02:09 AM
Advice on Atomic Skis - SL11 or GS11 Andrew Alpine Skiing 11 February 6th 04 01:21 PM
Atomic REX and binding question Armin Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 February 5th 04 11:33 PM
Atomic tm:ex tails and skins Scott Grothe Backcountry Skiing 0 December 10th 03 12:44 AM