Carving Technique

Old December 13th 04, 11:10 PM
NIALLBRUCE

Default Carving Technique

I'm having a lot of problems learning how to carve. I know that it's quite a
complicated exercise so I'm not going to ask exactly how it's done. Indeed,
I've covered the basics at my ski class (just finishing a 12 week block of
lessons). I'd be very grateful if someone could answer the following questions:

1. I've been told to move forward diagonally. My instructor said that this was
in order to make the ski bend. I understand this principle but I don't know how
to implement it.

- When I move my waist (to set the edges), do I move diagonally forward in the
opposite direction??
I understand that I've got to make a 'C' shape with my body (if turning left)
so that my edges can be set without losing my balance but I don't know how to
develop that further.

I know that I've got to work on making the turns smoother (by pushing down on
the inside leg to start the next turn) and to be aware of my knees etc too but
the forward motion is confusing me.

My instructor gave me two exercises to do - one involved throwing my arms
forward diagonally and the other involved making a double pole-plant in front
of my skis (to ensure that my weight was forward). Nonetheless, without knowing
exactly WHERE and WHEN to throw my weight, I wasn't able to benefit from the
exercise.

2. How does the forward (+ diagonal) motion affect my skis? For example, when
I'm skiing parallel, I try to flex the 'outside' boot. When carving, am I still
trying to do this? Am I try to flex both boots (since the edge of the ski will
make the turn). Alternatively, should I just been rolling my weight from one
ski to the other without 'flexing' the boots at all?

Sorry to be a bit pedantic. I've only got 1 lesson left so am really trying to
get this right!! Thanks in advance for any help

Niall
Old December 14th 04, 03:29 AM
foot2foot

"NIALLBRUCE" wrote in message

I'm having a lot of problems learning how to carve. I know that it's quite

complicated exercise so I'm not going to ask exactly how it's done.

Indeed,
I've covered the basics at my ski class (just finishing a 12 week block of
lessons). I'd be very grateful if someone could answer the following

questions:

1. I've been told to move forward diagonally. My instructor said that this

was
in order to make the ski bend. I understand this principle but I don't

know how
to implement it.

The ski bends depending on how much weight or pressure
is on it.

If you want to do railroad track type carving, you'll
probably want all your weight lined up directly under your
foot, as opposed to forward on the tips, or back. You try to
line up the shoulder, hip, and foot all in one line with
all your weight concentrated on that line.

On a fairly easy hill, try to make a big long turn with a flattened
inside ski. Put a lot of your weight on that ski, then bring the
outside ski up on edge (still riding on a flat inside ski) and try
to make railroad tracks with it. This is how most learn to carve.

- When I move my waist (to set the edges), do I move diagonally forward in

the
opposite direction??

You're finishing up one turn. You need to cross your body over
the skis to change the edges for the new turn.

I understand that I've got to make a 'C' shape with my body (if turning

left)
so that my edges can be set without losing my balance but I don't know how

develop that further.

Your body has to be on the inside of any turn. It helps to
move the hips to the inside of the turn while leaving the
shoulders fairly level with the terrain. Depending on the speed
and radius of the turn, your whole body will move less or
more inside the turn. Look at pictures of racers in skiing mags.
The hips are almost touching the ground, the shoulders and torso
inside of the skis, but the shoulders are still level with the snow.

I know that I've got to work on making the turns smoother (by pushing down

on
the inside leg to start the next turn) and to be aware of my knees etc too

but
the forward motion is confusing me.

It's more just crossing your body from one side of the skis to
the other. The forward diagonal thing is great, but you might try
just thinking in terms of side to side first, then add the forward
diagonal.

My instructor gave me two exercises to do - one involved throwing my arms
forward diagonally and the other involved making a double pole-plant in

front
of m skis (to ensure that my weight was forward). Nonetheless, without

knowing
exactly WHERE and WHEN to throw my weight, I wasn't able to benefit from

the
exercise.

Hmm, as you finish a turn, to start another you have to cross
your body over the skis to the inside of the next turn. Your body
has to be on the inside of each turn. You can watch this happen if
you watch a giant slalom, super giant slalom or downhill FIS race
on TV. It's called crossover. What you'll usually see is a really
*quick* crossover, and a gradual turning of the skis after that.

At the end of one turn, cross your body over the skis and
weight the new outside ski. Voila. New turn.

2. How does the forward (+ diagonal) motion affect my skis?

It's a fancier crossover. It isn't always appropriate, though
it's the form that PSIA likes to teach, and evaluate to.
To change the edges, you have to cross your body over
the skis.

For example, when
I'm skiing parallel, I try to flex the 'outside' boot.

To heck with the boot for now. Just weight the outside foot.

When carving, am I still
trying to do this? Am I try to flex both boots (since the edge of the ski

will
make the turn).

It's more about lining up weight over the foot than about
the boots.

Alternatively, should I just been rolling my weight from one
ski to the other without 'flexing' the boots at all?

HEEEYYYY!!! That might work better for now.
As long as you cross your body over the skis, and
weight the new outside ski.

Old December 14th 04, 03:52 AM
Mike

I'm sure some other guys will have better responses, but the most useful tip
I ever had was to focus on the inside edge of the downhill ski. If you
really dig that edge in there, you can carve anything. It really keeps you
centered over your skis too.

Mike
http://www.afrinspray.com/

Old December 14th 04, 06:32 PM
John H

Try this (courtesy of Rob Newey, Park City Ski School): Best done on a
beginner hill. Hold each ski pole like a sword, in each hand, and point
them straight out (so that you look like a cross) then bring the tips down
to the snow and LEAVE THEM THERE. Now start down the hill and try turning.
You will only be able to turn by crouching down a bit and rolling your knees
left or right i.e. carving. It worked for me.
John

Old December 14th 04, 08:05 PM
Dmitry

"NIALLBRUCE" wrote

I'm having a lot of problems learning how to carve. I know that it's quite a
complicated exercise so I'm not going to ask exactly how it's done.

You're wrong. Carving is easy. Just gain some speed and put your skis on the
edge while mainaining you balance over the skis. That's it, you're carving.

(I'm semi-serious).

Old December 14th 04, 08:15 PM
The Real Bev

John H wrote:

Try this (courtesy of Rob Newey, Park City Ski School): Best done on a
beginner hill. Hold each ski pole like a sword, in each hand, and point
them straight out (so that you look like a cross)

No, I would look like a sideways T unless you mean I should point one
forward and one back.

then bring the tips down
to the snow and LEAVE THEM THERE.

Are the tips of the poles outside or inside the tips of the skis? Is
the intent to make a pair of narrow grooves or to pivot around (or
leapfrog over) the pole-tips, which remain at their original position?

Now start down the hill and try turning.
You will only be able to turn by crouching down a bit and rolling your knees
left or right i.e. carving. It worked for me.

I don't suppose you have a non-quicktime movie. I definitely feel I'm
missing something here.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old December 14th 04, 11:27 PM
foot2foot

"Dmitry" wrote in message

"NIALLBRUCE" wrote

I'm having a lot of problems learning how to carve. I know that it's

quite a
complicated exercise so I'm not going to ask exactly how it's done.

You're wrong. Carving is easy. Just gain some speed and put your skis on

the
edge while mainaining you balance over the skis. That's it, you're

carving.

(I'm semi-serious).

I semi agree. Another thing one has to realize is, that to leave
railroad tracks in the snow, you have to make larger turns.

The ski won't rail in a shorter turn, yet sometimes PSIA will
call a shorter radius turn a carved turn. Some confusion arises.

NW's description of the short radius turn task talks about
the skis "carving before they reach the fall line", yet this
turn is not a railroad track turn. It's not a carved turn, it's
a skidded turn. It has to be.

Old December 14th 04, 11:52 PM
John H

Are the tips of the poles outside or inside the tips of the skis? Is
the intent to make a pair of narrow grooves or to pivot around (or
leapfrog over) the pole-tips, which remain at their original position?

Now start down the hill and try turning.
You will only be able to turn by crouching down a bit and rolling your
knees
left or right i.e. carving. It worked for me.

I don't suppose you have a non-quicktime movie. I definitely feel I'm
missing something here.

The tips are to the side (left and right) and are held there to force the
skier's upper body to remain up-right and not lean or rotate.

Old December 15th 04, 06:48 AM
foot2foot

[...]

Another attempt to answer your question in a different way,
more in line with what the instructor is trying to convey,
I'm assuming he was showing you the fairly standard PSIA
approach to short and medium radius turns.

Which is:

Assume you've finished up a turn and are about to start a
new turn. During about the first third of the new turn, extend
forward and to the center of the new turn. This isn't an
explosive move, it's gradual, measured, sort of slow really.

During the last two thirds of the turn, flex (bend the legs)
so you'll be ready to extend for the next turn.

Then repeat. Keep shoulders square to direction of travel,
above all, hands forward.

I'm not sure that this type of turn contributes to leaving
railroad tracks in the snow though.

The thing is, it seems to me you're seeing all this as
more complicated than it is. The mechanics of skiing are
few and simple, far from mysterious. Drills introduced
without explanation of purpose don't help.

Old December 15th 04, 03:00 PM
yunlong

Dmitry wrote:
"NIALLBRUCE" wrote

I'm having a lot of problems learning how to carve. I know that

it's quite a
complicated exercise so I'm not going to ask exactly how it's done.

You're wrong. Carving is easy. Just gain some speed and put your

skis on the
edge while mainaining you balance over the skis. That's it, you're

carving.

(I'm semi-serious).

Yah, I agree.

"Without pole-plant, a carved turn is executed by shifting weight
directly onto turning edges and pressing the bowing reverse camber to
carve through the snow. As ski crossing the fall-line, it starts to
travel uphill, the reverse camber flattens, and the edges pressure
diminishing. A 'roll' on the ankle downhill-ward to switch the edges,
shifting weight again, the next turn follows. The carved turns flow
with gravity without the apparent 'hopping' of the parallel
turns."--"Break it through: ride the skis"--

IS