Seeking Summit County skiiers

Old February 10th 05, 05:04 PM
hnilsson

Default Seeking Summit County skiiers

Hello all!

Jeff's email seeking Tahoe skiiers reminded me I should do my own
posting. My husband and I are new to Summit County (specifically,
Breckenridge). We're both very competent lift serve tele skiiers and
have done a little backcountry in Vermont. We've taken an avy class,
got all our avy gear, and have maps/compass/slope meter/GPS.

We're looking for advice on good locations to go for folks who are new
to Summit County and backcountry skiing. And we'd LOVE to hook up with
anyone who'd like to do some backcountry skiing with a couple of avid
new residents :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hope

Old February 12th 05, 04:03 AM
hnilsson

Thanks, K!

Hope

Old February 13th 05, 04:56 PM
taywood

hnilsson wrote:
Hello all!

And we'd LOVE to hook up with
anyone who'd like to do some backcountry skiing with a couple of avid
new residents :-)

Thats a neat pun for skiers with avi's.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:14 PM
snoig

"Kurt Knisely" wrote in message
In article . com,

hnilsson
says...

We're looking for advice on good locations to go for folks who are new
to Summit County and backcountry skiing. And we'd LOVE to hook up with
anyone who'd like to do some backcountry skiing with a couple of avid
new residents :-)

Hey, I live in Summit County too, but Breckenridge is a state away (it's

not
quite the Center Of The Universe). I used to live in CO, so if you're

getting
started (and w/o revealing my secret stashes):

1) Grab some books (Lou Dawson's 14er books describe some very nice

Spring
descents in your area). Litz & Lankford's (Happy trails Kurt) classic:

"Skiing
Colorado's Backcountry"
2) Grab some topos and check the access roads
3) Hoosier Pass/Hoosier Ridge (the Divide) is a no brainer.
4) More 14ers and tree runs over the pass
5) 10th Mtn. Division Huts
..and of course
6) Vail...pass

Colorado is a busy enough place that you can meet future partners on the

skin
track.

And a couple of other no brainers
Baldy - Park at the trail head at the top of Baldy Mtn. Rd and hike up.
Most people hike to the ridge and ski down to the mill. If you have a sled,
it's a great place to do laps. The main run down is almost always stable, I
have never seen it slide although I have seen some of the smaller chutes off
to the north side come down. You can explore to the north and come down all
the way to Boreas Pass road and to the south to come down by Sally Barber
mine. It's a pretty popular spot.

Loveland Pass - Car skiing with little to no hiking involved. Obviously,
the more you hike, the better the snow.

Independance Pass - Once it opens in the spring, another great place to car
ski.

Quandry - Very popular spot with lots of good trails. The north side in
McCulloch gulch is a great place to XC. The chutes on the south side are
expert only so stay away unless you have the skills.

Dolly Varden - Great place on the south side of Mt Bross. It's best in May
when you can drive to the top of the gulch. With a good 4WD, you can get in
a lot of laps in a day. During the winter, it's a long hike in but you can
get there on a sled. There are lot's of other places you can go on Mt Bross
and Lincoln but it's best to go with someone who knows the area for the
first time. Some good ice climbing over there also I am told.

snoig

Old March 3rd 05, 05:31 PM
hnilsson

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

Hope

Old March 3rd 05, 11:20 PM
snoig

hnilsson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Awesome, thanks a bunch!

Hope

So, what places have you tried already? I also know a bunch of good places
that are more XC than BC. Just got a new pair of T1's today so I'm ready to
get out and get some turns in. I mainly do AT but will be switching to
tele.

snoig

Old March 5th 05, 12:37 AM
hnilsson

We haven't done much of anything yet--have been doing stuff like going
to avy class, buying avy gear, and going to the beacon practice park at
Breck. We hiked most of the way up the Burro Trail last week, trying to
get to Francie's hut but ran out of daylight (got a late start). We've
got a hut trip scheduled for next Tues/Wed (Jackal Hut) and I think
that's gonna be our first big outing.

Congrats on the T1's--I had T1's once upon a time, my first tele boots.
They were much less beefy then, tho. We've both got Gara's now.

Norm (husband) and I work Fri/Sat/Sun and would be up for doing some
skiing anytime Mon-Thurs. We've both been lift serve tele'ing for quite
a while and would be happy to trade tele tips for backcountry tips :-)

Hope