How hard are the Courchevel couloirs??

Old December 17th 04, 08:29 AM
MoonMan

john elgy wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
John Elgy wrote:

David George wrote:

Tuck Thong wrote:

snip

The couloir itself is very good: not particularly steep and
certainly not narrow and because of its position, almost constantly
in shade, the snow stays in good condition. It, however, is
definately a black run. Of course the condition of the snow counts
for a lot, but I would rate it harder than the Face de Belvarde,
but easier than the Epaule de Charvet in Val. My wife prefers it
over the black 'M' run oposite.

You rate the Epaule as harder than the Face? Why? I would have put
them the other way round.

Steeper, bigger moguls, long walk at the end, and more committing -
there is no easy way to sneak off to the side.

Walk? you're not Commiting early enough but seriuosly, the steep section
of Epaule is much shorter than Le Face and IMO the Moguls make Epaul easier
than the Bashed to death Face.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old December 17th 04, 08:39 AM
Ace

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:29:39 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

john elgy wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

You rate the Epaule as harder than the Face? Why? I would have put
them the other way round.

Steeper, bigger moguls, long walk at the end, and more committing -
there is no easy way to sneak off to the side.

Walk? you're not Commiting early enough but seriuosly, the steep section
of Epaule is much shorter than Le Face and IMO the Moguls make Epaul easier
than the Bashed to death Face.

Of course, any comparison is moot, as they both vary tremendously. In
_general_, though, I'd agree that Face is more likely to be the harder
run, more by nature of it's narrowness in places and the rocks waiting
for you if you fluff a turn at a critical point. Epaule can be skiied
straight down without turning if your balls are big enough.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)