USA East Coast - where?

Old February 24th 04, 10:12 AM
Paul Schofield

Default USA East Coast - where?

"Dave Pilbrow" wrote in message
Don't often venture a comment here but it seems to me that everyone who

has
commented on Tremblant so far has put on the anti-french hat engendered by
the press and passed their opinion without actually having been to the

place
!!
I went there with Crystal a couple of seasons back in April and found it

be excellent both from skiing and hospitality/quality of accommodation
points of view.
There is ample choice of runs down both sides of one mountain including

some
good fun very narrow double diamond blacks! Also some great mogul fields.
Why the hell should the english always expect people to speak their

language
without making any efforts themselves, and i am english through and
through!!

I don't think anyone was suggesting that it is acceptable to visit a foreign
country without attempting to try and speak the language. But it is an
important point to consider for this resort compared to the rest of North
America (see OP) and my experience of Quebec in general suggests that
communication can be problematic even if you try to speak French. Your reply
suggests that this is not such a problem in the resort itself, thank you.

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old February 24th 04, 06:56 PM
Clive Perry

"Ian" wrote in message
Thanks folks,

Clive great info - would you prefer Stowe to Killington or are they all
pretty much the same? - I've not yet done my 'googling' for details (I

will
be doing) just after a general feel from people who have been, rather than
read the marketing blurb! Also, can you get self catering accomodation or

is
it mainly hotels? - we prefer to do our own thing.

Ian,

I have not skied Killington so I can't comment on preference.

Self catering is abundant in the form of 'condos' also many hotel/motels
have rooms with kitchen facilities, open fires, swimming pools etc etc.
Stowe certainly has many self catering options often with the 'hotel' type
facilities available as part of the deal.

Clive

Old February 25th 04, 11:12 AM
Clive Perry

"Ian" wrote in message
Todd,

Many thanks, great info and just what I was looking for - looks like we'll
head west as the 3 boys ski pretty well and we're mainly after snow and

lots
of it! I'll print this out and discuss with the family and then get
googling!

Thanks again,

Ian

Ian,

Let us know where you choose and how the trip goes.

Despite info I have provided based on our experiences in VT we too are
heading West this year - Panorama in Canada on 29th March for 10 nights. 9
Hour flight and a 4 hour drive, so about 2 hours longer in total than going
to Stowe or Killington.

Have fun

Clive

Old February 25th 04, 07:08 PM
Clive Perry

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
"Ian" wrote in
:

Greg, where would you head to? i.e. are places like Whistler, Aspen,
Vail so much better that they are worth the extra flight time (with
kids)?

Hi Ian,

I've never skied in the US with my kids, they are 4 and 1, and the 4
year old is having her first go on skis in a few weeks time with Mark
Warner in La Plagne.

Greg,

I did this with my Son one January ( before the school holiday syndrome
kicked in ), he was 5 then I think, at the Christina at La Plagne. Ideal
spot as the ski school ( Oxygene I assume ) meets and operates just a couple
of hundred metres from the hotel.

He had morning lessons which he was taken to and collected from by the
excellent Mark Warner Nannies. In the afternoons I would take him down to
the green at the opposite end of Plagne Centre for a few runs and then up to
Plagne Soleil where there is a rope tow that he really enjoyed using.

As for instruction for kids of that age I would recommend the US - we went
to Stowe in the March following as part of a business trip. The morning
lessons were expensive but only had 5 or 6 children per group. Sam really
came on very quickly, which was a real joy.

Clive

Old February 25th 04, 09:22 PM
toddjb

"Ian" wrote in message ...
Todd,

Many thanks, great info and just what I was looking for - looks like we'll
head west as the 3 boys ski pretty well and we're mainly after snow and lots
of it! I'll print this out and discuss with the family and then get
googling!

Thanks again,

Ian

No problem! So, any chance you can pass me some of you Alps knowledge

I'm heading to the Alps for the first time. Don't know what to expect.

-todd