Where to go this weekend? NY/NJ/CT

Old February 24th 06, 02:03 AM

The Real Bev wrote:

Walt wrote:

www.skidweeb.com - punch in your zipcode and see what's nearby.

I guess it doesn't regard the SoCal mountains as actual ski areas with
snow and lifts and everything. It lists only Mammoth and Tahoe, it
refreshes more than it doesn't, it never calculates mileage or time or
cost, and is overall not all that useful.

Huh. It lists the molehills around here, which shouldn't be
considered ski resorts either. There are options for Big, Local, and
All. If you choose Big it'll ignore some of the smaller ****ant
hills. Sure you're using it right?

You didn't design it, did you?

I wish. Anyway, I'd be happy to help you use it after I get back from
Colorado a week from Monday...

--
// Walt
//

Old February 24th 06, 03:26 AM

Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:
www.skidweeb.com - punch in your zipcode and see what's nearby.

I guess it doesn't regard the SoCal mountains as actual ski areas with
snow and lifts and everything. It lists only Mammoth and Tahoe, it
refreshes more than it doesn't, it never calculates mileage or time or
cost, and is overall not all that useful.

Huh. It lists the molehills around here, which shouldn't be
considered ski resorts either. There are options for Big, Local, and
All. If you choose Big it'll ignore some of the smaller ****ant
hills. Sure you're using it right?

Yeah. I chose 'all' and my own zip. It seemed to flip between my zip and a
wrong zip at each reload, which seemed kind of stupid. It claimed to list
everything within 480 (or thereabouts) miles. Local places are 90 miles away.

Probably just some java/windows crap. Maybe I'll go back and report the site
broken...

OK, I clicked STOP and re-entered all the choices before letting it run again.
This time it did what it was supposed to. Before it kept refreshing while I
was still entering stuff.

This is interesting. It says that Mountain High is only 5 miles further than
Mr. Baldy. Richard, do you find this as odd as I do? I've never been to Mt.
Baldy, but I can see the top of it as I drive another 30 miles or so around
the mountain range to get to the back side where MH is located. I wonder if
they assume that 39 goes through... That would be dumb, since it hasn't gone
through for 20 years at least.

Huh. MH is 55.2 miles away and Ski Sunrise, right across the street, is 64.2
miles away. Stranger and stranger...

OK, google maps says MH is 60.6 miles away and goes around the end just like
real. 32.7 miles to Mt. Baldy. Makes more sense. Now if there was just more
snow at Baldy and it wasn't so difficult...

You didn't design it, did you?

I wish. Anyway, I'd be happy to help you use it after I get back from
Colorado a week from Monday...
// ...and after I fulfill all the bite me requests...

I guess there's no point in adding me to the list, then...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 24th 06, 01:44 PM

JQ wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message
JQ wrote:
Which ever place you pick have a great time and stay safe. If you go to
MC
and go to South Base Lodge, say, "Hi!" to my friend Barry, he is a ski
instructor there.

Is zat Barry Backer who used to post here? Haven't heard from him in
awhile...

//Walt

Yes, he doesn't post in this NG anymore. he does post in a private ski
group every once in a while.
I don't remember the name however.

And probably doesnt want the name of it announced anyway. I think I know
the group. Used to belong to it myself. It's an email list and I don't
like that format for high volume discussions (and it's volume is at
least as high as RSA's if you eliminate the idiots). I much prefer the
NG format. Many of the old timers post there but don't want the village
idiot finding them.