Looking for fellow hard-core skiers for a sick Europe trip

Old January 3rd 05, 06:46 PM

Default Looking for fellow hard-core skiers for a sick Europe trip

Well everyone I know that can really really ski is now babied up and
out of the picture leaving this single guy without proper ski buddies.
Having sampled a taste of what Europe has to offer the true expert on a
trip to La Grave a few years ago I am yearning to head back over there
to Chamonix, Verbier, or other European (I'm open) resort with
limitless off-piste potential for single to triple black diamond
descents.

But, as anyone know who has been over there anything good requires a
guide which at $300 a day is out of the reach of myself as a solo
skier. So I'm looking to join up with a group or form a group who
wants to share the expenses of at least a guide and even better a
chalet, food, etc.

Now I know it's a risky proposition signing up with unknown folks but
beggars can't be choosers. In order to limit my exposure on this and
create maximum synergy please have the following:

- REAL expert skills. As in you can ski everything in bounds at any
area in the US.

- Have significant off-piste experience. As in you are comfortable
skiing everything from bottomless powder, to creme brulee, to
Sierra/Cascade cement, to hardpack.

- Have backcountry gear or will get it for the trip. Pack, shovel,
probe, beeper are all required.

- Decent stamina. They'll be some hiking invovled and lots of turns so
be in half decent shape.

- Have enough money to afford the trip including your portion of the
guide.

It would be nice to hook up with a group of super-experts for this trip
but as long as you're capable of flailing down couloirs with a smile on
your face and won't hold me accountable for any injuries sustained in
crashes it's good enough for me.

And who the hell am I? I'm a very nice, down to earth, affable,
low-key, easy to travel with 39 year old single guy from San Francisco.
Currently a desk jockey but am in half decent shape. I did some time
in Crested Butte and have skied my whole life at Squaw Valley. I can
still hang with the locals and sponsords as long as it doesn't involve
speed climbing or over 20 feet of air which my old knees refuse to
accomodate. In addition to skiing I love the Euro vida-dulce and look
forward to some nice lunches in remote huts and some good apres times
as well.

If you are interested please email me directly at
z (remove the "zz"'s) as I'm sure this post
will get too much abusive reply posts for me to track.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old January 3rd 05, 08:40 PM
lal_truckee

- REAL expert skills. As in you can ski everything in bounds at any
area in the US.

I don't believe you.
Old January 3rd 05, 08:43 PM
WCS

vertelde ons:

[...]

Maybe you can contact this person. Ask him if you can join a group:

Edward Bekker Ski & Alpinisme
Chamonix: tel : +33 (0)4 50 54 16 58 - fax: +33 (0)4 50 54 01 40
Den Haag: tel : 070-361 43 54 - fax: 070-310 73 53

http://www.edwardbekker.com/

Old January 3rd 05, 09:47 PM
Jay Pique

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:40:24 -0800, lal_truckee

- REAL expert skills. As in you can ski everything in bounds at any
area in the US.

I don't believe you.

Be nice.

Your approach is a little over the top. It's much better to downplay
your ability, and subsequently exceed it, than it is to claim
expertise - even if you can achieve it.

I'm faulted for being just a little *too* modest. But it's not hard
when you're as good as I am.

JP
*********
Expert.
Old January 3rd 05, 09:59 PM
VtSkier

Jay Pique wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:40:24 -0800, lal_truckee

- REAL expert skills. As in you can ski everything in bounds at any
area in the US.

I don't believe you.

Be nice.

Your approach is a little over the top. It's much better to downplay
your ability, and subsequently exceed it, than it is to claim
expertise - even if you can achieve it.

I'm faulted for being just a little *too* modest. But it's not hard
when you're as good as I am.

JP
*********
Expert.

My mean streak tends to show when someone boasts how good they are. I
have a couple of little venues I use when the bullsh*t gets too deep.

It's amazing what a little Vertigo or Ovation will do to one's confidence.

VtSkier
Old January 4th 05, 05:52 PM
jm

Alright!!! So in my 5 minute post I may not have articulated to
perfection. Let me amend.

I am looking for those that can ski any inbound RUN (this would have
been better terminology than "anything", my apologies) in the US (well
this should maybe read the West as I've never skied in the East and
don't for all I know we only have wimpy runs west of Nebraska compared
to Jay Peak and the rest of the East). I don't think that this is
actually that big of a feat as inbounds runs in the US are not really
that exposed or difficult.

My intention is to hook up with people that can easily ski things like
Corbett's and Main Chute and The Wall and weed out those "beginning
experts" you find everywhere that think 'cause they have a pair of fat
skis and a helmet they are invincible until they go to Europe and see
what real skiing is all about.

You all are right. There are always lines that only a few ski like
Pony Boy Express or Shmidiot's. And I'm not claming to be charging
down those.

As for me, I was not trying to boast just merely accurately portray
that I have a lot of experience and won't be holding anyone back. I'm
not going to bother going into my "skiing resume" but my skiing stands
on it's own.

So if anyone wants to go get after it, let me know!

The rest of you can flame away!