TR - Tremblant Apr 6-12 2007

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 16th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default TR - Tremblant Apr 6-12 2007

Well, you win some and you lose some. My early season trips this year
were somewhat of a bust, but last week at Tremblant was clearly a home
run. When Tremblant is good, it is very very good.

55cm of new snow fell in the two days before we arrived and in the first
two days of the trip. Real winter the first couple of days (7 degrees F
in the morning) followed by spring skiing later in the week. You
couldn't ask for better conditions. Food was excellent, and late season
condo rates came in at $80/night for walk to the lifts / ski-in
accommodations (although I have to say that it wasn't until the last day
that I found the trail back to the condo, and the spring conditions made
it a bit on the rocky side).

This year's Phineas Fogg award for crazed ski trip travel goes to my
friend's nephew who joined us for the trip - he actually flew from
Denver to Detroit, and then drove with us to Tremblant. This makes some
of my crazed trips seem like a little jaunt to Trashmore after work.
He's just graduated college and has been skiing since he was a toddler,
but only in the west, nothing east of A Basin. So for his very first
trip to the east we wanted to show him what Eastern Firm (TM) was all
about. Instead, he was off in the trees finding powder stashes before
we knew it. Bastid.

(We did get some good firm stuff late in the week in the AM after the
slush refroze, but no classic "see a fish through it" terrain.)

Great trip. Now the skis are off to the shop for some base repair
(spring == rocks) before being put away for the year, and you'll find me
on the lake. Elapsed time between skiing and sailing season: 3 days.

//Walt
//
// Only 228.315509259259 days until ski season!