Zermatt off piste?

Old September 8th 03, 06:58 AM
tomi pesonen

Default Zermatt off piste?

Yet to find any useful info on Zermatt off pistes. Would someone have
directions/recommendations to the goods? Going this Christmas.

Thanks,
Tomi

Old October 15th 03, 08:53 PM
funkraum

"tomi pesonen" wrote:

Yet to find any useful info on Zermatt off pistes. Would someone have
directions/recommendations to the goods? Going this Christmas.

Zermatt has limited off-piste.

There is a good expanse of red grade off-piste over at Cervinia. Head
over the pass and down to the right. Use the lowermost piste to
reconnoitre the descents from the pistes above it.

Old October 16th 03, 07:19 AM
Jeremy Mortimer

funkraum wrote in
:

"tomi pesonen" wrote:

Yet to find any useful info on Zermatt off pistes. Would someone have
directions/recommendations to the goods? Going this Christmas.

Zermatt has limited off-piste.

There is a good expanse of red grade off-piste over at Cervinia. Head
over the pass and down to the right. Use the lowermost piste to
reconnoitre the descents from the pistes above it.

There's a whole mountainside of off piste skiing under the lift from Gant
to Hohtalli, and another on the face under the Rothorn lift (take the
piste down to the left and leave it after 100m on the left to cross the
ridge, descend anywhere between rocky spurs). From Gornergrat the slope
above Riffelberg has possibilities - I've not really explored this except
bits on the way to somewhere else.

In the Theodule Pass area there are lots of little things to do. You can
head right out across the Furgg glacier (watch out for crevasses early in
the season) either straight across or left past seracs, returning to
Furgg down a small valley to the right. If you stay on the right of the
glacier it ends at a cliff with two or three short couloirs - recce this
cautiously in good visibility, the cliff may have a cornice. Immediately
right off the ridge from Klein Matterhorn are various possibilities,
short steep pitches down the glacier; recce from the bottom first
(occasionally they put a piste down here). There's quite a lot of other
small stuff between pistes - just explore.

The last few years I've had a great time in Zermatt at he beginning of
December. Christmas should be good!

Jeremy
Old October 16th 03, 09:01 PM
Richard and Barbara

There are guides at the Ski School who do nothing but off-piste skiing.

Richard

Old October 31st 03, 07:26 PM
funkraum

Jeremy Mortimer wrote:
funkraum wrote in
"tomi pesonen" wrote:

Yet to find any useful info on Zermatt off pistes. Would someone have
directions/recommendations to the goods? Going this Christmas.

Zermatt has limited off-piste.

There is a good expanse of red grade off-piste over at Cervinia. Head
over the pass and down to the right. Use the lowermost piste to
reconnoitre the descents from the pistes above it.

There's a whole mountainside of off piste skiing under the lift from Gant
to Hohtalli,

and another on the face under the Rothorn lift (take the
piste down to the left and leave it after 100m on the left to cross the
ridge, descend anywhere between rocky spurs).

I think I have frequently had trouble getting up that far, with the
lift onwards from the Gronergrat out of service for one reason or
another. It took me a while to drag the images of this area from the
depths of my memory but I have skied both of these (from the Rothorn
also) but was performing reconnaissance on Findelgletscher /
Adlergletscher at the time and so may not have noticed any
opportunities. I must have been highly engrossed as I can normally
smell off-piste before I see it.

From Gornergrat the slope
above Riffelberg has possibilities - I've not really explored this except
bits on the way to somewhere else.

I had thought about this but the descent seemed short in relation to
the length of the recovery and pencilled it in for another day. Let us
know if you explore.

In the Theodule Pass area there are lots of little things to do. You can
head right out across the Furgg glacier (watch out for crevasses early in
the season) either straight across or left past seracs, returning to
Furgg down a small valley to the right. If you stay on the right of the
glacier it ends at a cliff with two or three short couloirs - recce this
cautiously in good visibility, the cliff may have a cornice.

I think I had a look at this from the Hörnli Ridge - but remember
thinking that the drop looked limited. I shall investigate next time.

Immediately
right off the ridge from Klein Matterhorn are various possibilities,
short steep pitches down the glacier; recce from the bottom first
(occasionally they put a piste down here). There's quite a lot of other
small stuff between pistes - just explore.

I occasionally cut across here but the aspect seems to ensure the snow
is always like cake icing. The piste is a good one however, Zermatt's
best.

The last few years I've had a great time in Zermatt at he beginning of
December. Christmas should be good!

You can ski the Breithorn (both faces) as long as you do not mind
skinning up.

Do not forget the descent under the Klein Matterhorn lift over the
Unterer Theodulgletscher, the routes off the Stockhorn and other
'Japanese Suicide Route' specials.