How inconvenient is it...

Old February 21st 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

Default How inconvenient is it...

....to stay in Tasch and ski Zermatt?

My first & third ski trips were to Zermatt, but as I really wasn't any good, I
never got to ski the whole area. I always meant to go back one day and ski the
runs I simply wasn't brave or capable enough to do back then.

As I might be able to wangle a long weekend (ideally Fri-Tue, provided I can
be back in Newmarket by 1800 on the Tuesday), it seems a good way to scratch
that particular itch.

And yes, I know there are probably better destinations; but for just a few
days, I think that would be enough.
--

Pip

Old February 21st 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 20:06:55 +0000, PipL wrote:

...to stay in Tasch and ski Zermatt?

Do-able. The shuttle trains run every... well you can see the
timetable, I misremember, but 15, 20 mins or so. From Zermatt station
you get the elctric bus that stops just opposite and takes you to
Klein Matterhorn lift, which is now much faster and more direct than
it used to be. Or else just take the Gornergrat railway (different ski
area, but you know that and the map is quite clear) from the station
across the street, although that's a slow train up the hill.

And yes, I know there are probably better destinations; but for just a few
days, I think that would be enough.

I think you're right. Some first-class skiing, albeit a bit of a faff
to get around. We did the staying in Tasch one time, not perfect,
screws up the apres-ski, but perfectly OK provided you accept the fact
that it'll be a good hour from leaving your room until you're on the
slopes.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old February 23rd 13, 08:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:46:20 +0100, Ace wrote:

I think you're right. Some first-class skiing, albeit a bit of a faff
to get around. We did the staying in Tasch one time, not perfect,
screws up the apres-ski, but perfectly OK provided you accept the fact
that it'll be a good hour from leaving your room until you're on the
slopes.

Well, as it happened, I put back my plans to late March, and got a room
actually in Zermatt. I don't suppose the snow will be as good, but as long as
most of the runs are open, I'll be happy.
--

Pip

Old February 26th 13, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 23/02/2013 20:44, PipL wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:46:20 +0100, Ace wrote:

I think you're right. Some first-class skiing, albeit a bit of a faff
to get around. We did the staying in Tasch one time, not perfect,
screws up the apres-ski, but perfectly OK provided you accept the fact
that it'll be a good hour from leaving your room until you're on the
slopes.

Well, as it happened, I put back my plans to late March, and got a room
actually in Zermatt. I don't suppose the snow will be as good, but as long as
most of the runs are open, I'll be happy.

The area is much better interconnected than it was, as for some years
there has been a lift from Furi to Riffelberg. Getting an international
ski pass that allows access to Cervinia is worth while - IMHO. But watch
the wind speed as the main cable can can be closed. We enjoy the run
from the Kliene Matterhorne to Valtournenche first thing in the morning.

--
Michael Chare
Old February 26th 13, 08:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:37:54 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

The area is much better interconnected than it was, as for some years
there has been a lift from Furi to Riffelberg.

Thanks, I noticed that. There have been some changes.

Getting an international
ski pass that allows access to Cervinia is worth while - IMHO. But watch
the wind speed as the main cable can can be closed. We enjoy the run
from the Kliene Matterhorne to Valtournenche first thing in the morning.

I probably won't have time to do Cervinia and all three of Zermatt's areas in
three days, and I've done Cervinia already anyway.

Also, they have half-pipes in Zermatt apparently, so, if I do manage to cover
the bits I want to try in the first couple of days, depending on how it goes
and on how frightening the snow parks look, day 3 might just be a snowboard
day - I'll possibly take both ski and snowboard boots.

--

Pip

Old March 28th 13, 08:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:37:54 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

The area is much better interconnected than it was, as for some years
there has been a lift from Furi to Riffelberg. Getting an international
ski pass that allows access to Cervinia is worth while - IMHO. But watch
the wind speed as the main cable can can be closed. We enjoy the run
from the Kliene Matterhorne to Valtournenche first thing in the morning.

You're certainly right about the interconection - I was able to ski/lift from
Trockener Steg to Rothorn. and I did the reverse journey on the last day.

Not for nervous intermediates, though: I took the black-ish down to Furgg one
way (oh, and on another occasion the red from Schwarzee, come to think of it)
and the red down from Rifflealp going the other. The black, at the end of the
day, was quite busy and the red from Rifflealp going the other way was
seriously busy with a wide mix of abilities, which made it hard work.

There's quite a good online Telegraph (I think) review of the resort. Their
comments about the blacks not being very black matched my opinion, though I
guess the itineraires make up for that. Unfortunately, given the patchy
visibility I had, plus my cautious nature, I only tried a couple of lower
sections.

I've just dug out my first ever piste map of the resort, in fact, my first
ever piste map. The resort has certainly changed. 1993. Sheesh: where did it
all go?
--

Pip