Alta December Kids Lodging

Old October 13th 03, 04:21 PM
Marty

Default Alta December Kids Lodging

My son (11 year old) and I are intermediate Lake Tahoe skiiers.

We would like to visit Alta in December for a few days of powder skiing.

We will take a private lesson while we're there to get an introduction
to the resort and to powder skiing.

We will rent everything except my boots.

We need inexpensive (would love to stay at Alta Lodge, but can't afford
it) lodging with shuttle service to/from Alta Ski Resort; car rental not
out of the question. We aren't party animals; we're just looking for
affordability, a heated swimming pool and or a hot tub, breakfast and
dinner, and a quiet place to sleep.

Any information greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Martin

Old October 13th 03, 07:15 PM
lal truckee

Marty wrote:
My son (11 year old) and I are intermediate Lake Tahoe skiiers.

We would like to visit Alta in December for a few days of powder skiing.

We will take a private lesson while we're there to get an introduction
to the resort and to powder skiing.

We will rent everything except my boots.

We need inexpensive (would love to stay at Alta Lodge, but can't afford
it) lodging with shuttle service to/from Alta Ski Resort; car rental not
out of the question. We aren't party animals; we're just looking for
affordability, a heated swimming pool and or a hot tub, breakfast and
dinner, and a quiet place to sleep.

Any information greatly appreciated!

I don't know about shuttle service. If you do rent a car (I usually just
drive from Truckee ~9hours, and I then have a car, and easy choice of
lodging, and, if you count checkin time, etc, it doesn't even cost much
extra time; and the drive is interesting, at least once, and you can
bring all your gear) there are Motel 6s in Sandy at the base of the
canyons - cheap, clean, reliable. There are cheaper motels, some VERY
rundown (one reminded me of a place I stayed in Katmandu) but the 6 is
reliable (kids stay free IIRC.) You can reserve a Motel 6 and cancel
right up to 5pm IIRC, so you could arrive with a place to stay if you
were worried, and look around. I hope some locals provide names of those
hidden treasure lodgings in Sandy that are cheaper AND better (I'd like
to find them too.) BTW, I'd visit Solitude and Alta - check out the
best of both Cottonwood Canyons.

(I forgot how much we learned to rely on M6 back in the days the kid was
racing around the west - pack in the wife & I and the kid and the cost
was $15-$20 each. I talk to folks in places like Jackson Hole & Mammoth
and Alta who were paying $200 / person and sleeping no sounder. Must be
nice to have so much money you can essentually burn $100 bills.)

Old October 13th 03, 07:55 PM
Robert Swindells

lal_truckee wrote:
Marty wrote:
[...]

The shuttle map is at:

http://www.utabus.com/schedulesAndMaps/systemMaps/SkiMap.gif

This shows the motels as well as the bus route.

Robert Swindells

Old October 13th 03, 09:53 PM
Chris Devidal

"Marty" wrote in message
My son (11 year old) and I are intermediate Lake Tahoe skiiers.

We would like to visit Alta in December for a few days of powder skiing.

We will take a private lesson while we're there to get an introduction
to the resort and to powder skiing.

We will rent everything except my boots.

We need inexpensive (would love to stay at Alta Lodge, but can't afford
it) lodging with shuttle service to/from Alta Ski Resort; car rental not
out of the question. We aren't party animals; we're just looking for
affordability, a heated swimming pool and or a hot tub, breakfast and
dinner, and a quiet place to sleep.

Any information greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Martin

Martin,

We stayed in the Super 8 motel in Midvale last year. It's brand new, has an
indoor hottub, continental breakfast, and the staff was extremely friendly.
I had booked a single room with a queen bed for 35 dollars a night at the 1
person rate, but a friend ended up coming down from Idaho to ski with me,
and they never asked her any questions or bumped up the rate even though 2
people were staying there. The drive to little cottonwood was close and
easy, but if you don't rent a car, the Ski Bus shuttle runs from a stop
right outside the front door. Definitely recommended,

Chris Devidal

Old October 14th 03, 04:08 PM
Walt

Marty wrote:

My son (11 year old) and I are intermediate Lake Tahoe skiiers.

We would like to visit Alta in December for a few days of powder skiing.

We will take a private lesson while we're there to get an introduction
to the resort and to powder skiing.

We will rent everything except my boots.

We need inexpensive (would love to stay at Alta Lodge, but can't afford
it) lodging with shuttle service to/from Alta Ski Resort; car rental not
out of the question. We aren't party animals; we're just looking for
affordability, a heated swimming pool and or a hot tub, breakfast and
dinner, and a quiet place to sleep.

You won't find much in the way of inexpensive accommodations in the
canyon, but there are a grillion inexpensive hotel rooms in town*
about
a 30 to 60 minute drive to the slopes.

I can recommend the Reston Hotel http://www.restonhotelslc.com/ as a
basic motel with pool and breakfast reasonably close to the LCC and
BCC. They don't seem to have their ski package information on their
website yet, but last year they were offering room + lift ticket for
$79/night, with additional lift tickets available for $39. The
tickets
were good at any of the four LCC/BCC resorts.

There are other hotels in town* that are on the city bus routes - see
http://www.utabus.com/ for details on the bus system. After a
couple
of hours studying the bus routes I decided that it was simpler to just
rent a car. YMMV.

Good luck, and have fun.

*by "town" I mean not in the canyons. Sandy, Midvale, SLC proper,
etc.

NOTE: I can't seem to post to RSAM from my usual newsfeed, so I'm
going to give it a try via google...any moderators/admins have any
idea why my posts don't go through?

--
//-Walt
//

Old October 18th 03, 02:35 AM
Marty

I've been at a work conference in Vegas since I posted my Alta query and
all I can say is what a great set of replies I've come home to!

Thanks to each of you for the great information. I can't wait to go
play in some dry fluffy stuff!

Thank you,

Martin