Good xc resort in the European Alps

Old January 19th 05, 02:17 PM
Lars

Default Good xc resort in the European Alps

thanks for good info.
I think i'm looking for popluar places with old charming village look (?)
but good XC conditions are a must.

Any more tips?

Yes Passo Lavaze is good. Was there in 2004:
http://www.turrennklubben.no/images/lavaze_tur.jpg

Ramsau. http://www.ramsau.com/Englisch/index.htm

Seefeld - great XC tracks, but some pricy

St.morits - good XC tracks, but some pricy
Old January 20th 05, 04:51 AM
Ken Roberts

Lars asked for:
old charming village look

Bonneval sur Arc is one of the oldest mountain villages in the French Alps.
If you rent a car, you could lodge there and then drive a few minutes each
day to different cross-country trail networks in the Haute Maurienne valley,
notably Bessans. Or if you want to sleep near the ski trails, you might
think Bessans (recent site of World Junior Biathlon champs?) is quaint
enough. The Haute Maurienne region is rather pretty, and a rather good bet
for snow -- the current reports I'm seeing on the web are showing way more
km of trails open and cm of snow in the French Alps than in Ramsau. (Is it
really true that Ramsau currently only has 30 km open for skating as of 18
January?)

Nevache might be another place to consider for "old charming village look"
(it's a bit northeast of the ancient city of Briancon in the French Alps).
In addition to the trails, some people I know like that area also for
mountain touring on telemark skis.

Then there's that place in the vineyards where Sharon and I stayed last
year. Big range of snowy mountains on the other side of the green valley.
200 meters walk to the village bakery for a fresh baguette in the morning.
Less than half an hour's drive from the most fun and popular cross-country
ski center in France -- whose current snow report shows more km of trails
open right now than Ramsau.

But all that sunshine and warmth would be too much of a shock, and you
probably don't even like baguettes. So forget I mentioned it.

Ken

Old January 20th 05, 02:29 PM
taywood

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message
Lars asked for:
old charming village look

Bonneval sur Arc is one of the oldest mountain villages in the French
Alps.
If you rent a car, you could lodge there and then drive a few minutes each
day to different cross-country trail networks in the Haute Maurienne
valley,
notably Bessans. Or if you want to sleep near the ski trails, you might
think Bessans (recent site of World Junior Biathlon champs?) is quaint
enough. The Haute Maurienne region is rather pretty, and a rather good bet
for snow -- the current reports I'm seeing on the web are showing way more
km of trails open and cm of snow in the French Alps than in Ramsau.

(Is it really true that Ramsau currently only has 30 km open for skating as
of 18
January?)

Heavy snow falling now in the Alps.