Chamonix season delayed???

Old November 30th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mouse

Default Chamonix season delayed???

Am slightly concerned. Am meant to be going to Chamonix for one week on
16th December and it looks as if the lifts don't open until 23rd (not
really helpful to me!!)

I skied this week last year in Cham and the snow was fabulous. Does
anyone have any ideas if the information I have recieved about the
lifts could change and they could open early?

Old November 30th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Mouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Am slightly concerned. Am meant to be going to Chamonix for one week
on
| 16th December and it looks as if the lifts don't open until 23rd (not
| really helpful to me!!)
|
| I skied this week last year in Cham and the snow was fabulous. Does
| anyone have any ideas if the information I have recieved about the
| lifts could change and they could open early?

Where have you seen that? The official opening dates I think is the 15th
(Les Houches same day) - there's a list of the main French resorts he

http://mysnowsports.com/Content/pid=13.html

Obviously those dates are all subject to revision should conditions
remain terrible, but those dates are a fortnight off and a lot can
happen inbetween.

Pete

Old November 30th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mouse

pg wrote:

Where have you seen that? The official opening dates I think is the 15th
(Les Houches same day) - there's a list of the main French resorts he

http://mysnowsports.com/Content/pid=13.html

Obviously those dates are all subject to revision should conditions
remain terrible, but those dates are a fortnight off and a lot can
happen inbetween.

Pete

Thanks Pete - the Compagnie de Mont Blanc are saying that Brevant,
Flegere and Domaine de Balme are all not scheduled to open until 23rd.
Although word on the ground I have recently found out is that they are
under a lot of pressure to open at least 1 area asap due to the delay
opening the Grands Montets. I suppose its all down to the snow. I am
paranoidly looking at snow reports every day!

Old November 30th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Charles Sweeney

Mouse wrote

Am slightly concerned. Am meant to be going to Chamonix for one week

on
16th December and it looks as if the lifts don't open until 23rd (not
really helpful to me!!)

I skied this week last year in Cham and the snow was fabulous. Does
anyone have any ideas if the information I have recieved about the
lifts could change and they could open early?

Looks like the 23rd, as you say:

http://montagne.chamonix.com/GraHor.php?ling=En

You can contact the lift company Compagnie Du Mont Blanc he

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/d...seignement.php

Or the Tourist Office:

http://www.chamonix.com/accueil.php?ling=En

--
Charles Sweeney
Old December 1st 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
French_Skier

Mouse wrote:

Am slightly concerned. Am meant to be going to Chamonix for one week on
16th December and it looks as if the lifts don't open until 23rd (not
really helpful to me!!)

I skied this week last year in Cham and the snow was fabulous. Does
anyone have any ideas if the information I have recieved about the
lifts could change and they could open early?

The Chamonix lift company have indicated that they may open some of the
lifts on 16/12 if there is enough snow and enough potential clients (i
know that some UK tour operators have requested this and they are
considering). If you want copy of a word document detailing all
Chamonix lift opening dates and times as of 16/10 please let me have
your e-mail.

Otherwise see info recently released about Argentiere below:

Following changes in the administrative regulations of ski lifts, the
cables of the Grands Montets cable-car underwent a series of controls
which concluded that the cable of the first cable-car from Argentière
to Lognan must be changed in 2007.
Rather than risk a change during the course of the winter season, the
Compagnie du Mont-Blanc has decided to undertake the replacement
operation before the Christmas holiday period.
Please note that the Grands Montets cable-car will open around the 20th
December 2006 depending on the successful completion of the operation.

Otherwise Saint-Gervais/Megeve is due to open on 17/12 and it's not too
far.

Old December 1st 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mouse

Thanks All,

Am praying very hard for snow - am sure that it will come eventually -
just hoping it starts snowing at the weekend and doesn't stop for 2
weeks!

That will teach me for wanting to get a cheeky holiday in before
christmas!

Old December 1st 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Mouse wrote:

Thanks All,

Am praying very hard for snow - am sure that it will come eventually -
just hoping it starts snowing at the weekend and doesn't stop for 2
weeks!

That will teach me for wanting to get a cheeky holiday in before
christmas!

If it could hold off until Tuesday so that I can get up the hill
without my chains, that would be great, thanks. Sorry if this messes
with your praying plans...

Matt

Old December 4th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
James Hart

Mouse wrote:
Am slightly concerned. Am meant to be going to Chamonix for one week
on 16th December and it looks as if the lifts don't open until 23rd
(not really helpful to me!!)

I skied this week last year in Cham and the snow was fabulous. Does
anyone have any ideas if the information I have recieved about the
lifts could change and they could open early?

This just in from a man on the spot, judging by the number of !!!!'s it's
good news.

It's arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Snow level currently 1400 meters, as the day draws to an end should see that
drop to town (1000ish). In terms of density and depth, i don't know but it's
raining hard down here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more info at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21248

Old December 4th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mouse

This just in from a man on the spot, judging by the number of !!!!'s it's
good news.

It's arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Snow level currently 1400 meters, as the day draws to an end should see that
drop to town (1000ish). In terms of density and depth, i don't know but it's
raining hard down here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more info at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21248

Thanks James - you've just made my day! Let's hope it continues for the
next 11days (but obviously stops when I get there - who likes skiing in
a blizzard?)

Old December 13th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Chamonix Opening latest

We have the pleasure to inform you of the partial opening of our ski
area in Chamonix continuously from Saturday 16th december 2006 :

Partial opening on Grands Montets ski area:

Plan Joran Chairlift
Tabé Chairlift
Marmottons Chairlift
Bochard Gondola

Beware : Pierre à Ric return slope closed for the time being

Should the opening of the Grands Montets not be possible on the
week-end or next week, the Balme ski area will welcome skiers on
Charamillon gondola and Autannes chairlift for the following slopes :

Ecuries
Stade
Arve
Solonge