Les Arcs/La Plagne

Old October 12th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rob White

Default Les Arcs/La Plagne

We've been to La Plagne a couple of times and feel that it is not demanding
enough and the runs lack variety, and decided not to go there again.
However, We've been asked to join group in Les Arcs next winter - how does
it compare?

Rob

Old October 12th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Rob White" wrote in message
| We've been to La Plagne a couple of times and feel that it is not
demanding
| enough and the runs lack variety, and decided not to go there again.
| However, We've been asked to join group in Les Arcs next winter - how
does
| it compare?

You should drop off the north face of Bellecote a few times! And have
you had the right conditions for skiing over Champagny way while you
were there? But yes, on balance I prefer the piste skiing around Les
Arcs... plus the tree skiing of course. Which part of the season?

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old October 12th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian Tupper

"Rob White" wrote in
:

We've been to La Plagne a couple of times and feel that it is not
demanding enough and the runs lack variety, and decided not to go
there again. However, We've been asked to join group in Les Arcs next
winter - how does it compare?

I've skied La Plagne twice but have done little more than look across to
Les Arcs. It looks rather similar from the piste map.

What do you mean by demanding? It's true that La Plagne is not a black run
paradise but if I were to criticise it for anything it's that the longer
runs tend to get rather horizontal in sections. I find the runs down the
backs to Champigny and Montchavin more interesting.

--
Adrian

Remove packaging and take out insurance before emailing me
Old October 12th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Brian McIlwrath

Adrian Tupper wrote:

: I've skied La Plagne twice but have done little more than look across to
: Les Arcs. It looks rather similar from the piste map.

But it isn't!!! La Plagne is a blue/red cruisers paradise and (most of)
its blacks aren't really very black! Les Arcs is a much more varied resort
in terrain!

: What do you mean by demanding? It's true that La Plagne is not a black run
: paradise but if I were to criticise it for anything it's that the longer
: runs tend to get rather horizontal in sections. I find the runs down the
: backs to Champigny and Montchavin more interesting.

Agreed! But Monchavin/Les Coches is a trek to get to from the main La Plagne
resorts and Champagny (while wonderful in good conditions) melts down first
in any heat!

In short I consider Les Arcs to be a FAR better skiers resort!
Old October 12th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian Tupper

Brian McIlwrath wrote in
:

Adrian Tupper wrote:

: I've skied La Plagne twice but have done little more than look across
: to Les Arcs. It looks rather similar from the piste map.

But it isn't!!! La Plagne is a blue/red cruisers paradise and (most
of) its blacks aren't really very black! Les Arcs is a much more
varied resort in terrain!

: What do you mean by demanding? It's true that La Plagne is not a
: black run paradise but if I were to criticise it for anything it's
: that the longer runs tend to get rather horizontal in sections. I
: find the runs down the backs to Champigny and Montchavin more
: interesting.

Agreed! But Monchavin/Les Coches is a trek to get to from the main La
Plagne resorts and Champagny (while wonderful in good conditions)
melts down first in any heat!

Yes, it was pretty well out of action when I was last there.
Monchavin/Les Coches was more handy for us (at Belle Plagne) although
getting back up and over at the end of the day took some advance
planning. Almost missed the last lift (a small poma) to the top of
L'Arpette :-(

In short I consider Les Arcs to be a FAR better skiers resort!

One day I'll try it :-)

Old October 13th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

Rob White wrote:
We've been to La Plagne a couple of times and feel that it is not demanding
enough and the runs lack variety, and decided not to go there again.
However, We've been asked to join group in Les Arcs next winter - how does
it compare?

Rob

We have skied La Plagne and Les Arcs quite a lot over the years and IMHO
it is no contest - Les Arcs every time. In fact for the last 5 visits
to Les Arcs I think we have only bothered to go over to La Plagne once.
We have inteded to go and even set off but the trees of Vallandry
trapped us with their allure.

Les Arcs has some very challenging piste skiing from the Aiguille Rouge.
Also the bois d'ours and deux tete are, once again IMHO, much harder
than the black pistes in La Plagne. As other posters have commented upon
there is a great variety of type of run in Les Arcs. The off piste in
the trees of valandry is worth a visit in most snow conditions (though
timing is important in the spring). There are good cruising pistes in
Arc 1800 and 2000 for beginers and some smooth, well pisted, runs for
those that want to go fast (one looks very smooth and of quite a steep
gradient).

John
Old October 13th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

" " wrote in
message ...
| Rob White wrote:

| We have skied La Plagne and Les Arcs quite a lot over the years and
IMHO
| it is no contest - Les Arcs every time. In fact for the last 5 visits
| to Les Arcs I think we have only bothered to go over to La Plagne
once.
| We have inteded to go and even set off but the trees of Vallandry
| trapped us with their allure.
|
| Les Arcs has some very challenging piste skiing from the Aiguille
Rouge.
| Also the bois d'ours and deux tete are, once again IMHO, much harder
| than the black pistes in La Plagne. As other posters have commented
upon
| there is a great variety of type of run in Les Arcs. The off piste in
| the trees of valandry is worth a visit in most snow conditions (though
| timing is important in the spring). There are good cruising pistes in
| Arc 1800 and 2000 for beginers and some smooth, well pisted, runs for
| those that want to go fast (one looks very smooth and of quite a steep
| gradient).

Phew - for a moment I thought you might be giving away the secrets of
the Arc 1600 domain - the Arolles, Malgovert, Roulles, the Mont Blanc
forest, the reds down to Les Granges... but thankfully you stopped at
the 2 Tętes... ;o)

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old October 13th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
French_Skier

Les Arcs has more challenging slopes in my view and is generally better
than La Plagne. you can ski both via the Paradiski Vanoise Express.
1800 is best or 1950 but latter is pretty expensive. The Where to Ski
guide is worth reading for more info.
I know that www.skicollection.co.uk have got some of the best deals for
4-star self-catering in Les Arcs.

Old October 13th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

"French_Skier" wrote in message
oups.com...
Les Arcs has more challenging slopes in my view and is generally better
than La Plagne. you can ski both via the Paradiski Vanoise Express.
1800 is best or 1950 but latter is pretty expensive. The Where to Ski
guide is worth reading for more info.
I know that www.skicollection.co.uk have got some of the best deals for
4-star self-catering in Les Arcs.

But don't forget Erna Low...

RM

Old October 13th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

pg wrote:
" " wrote in
message ...
| Rob White wrote:

| We have skied La Plagne and Les Arcs quite a lot over the years and
IMHO
| it is no contest - Les Arcs every time. In fact for the last 5 visits
| to Les Arcs I think we have only bothered to go over to La Plagne
once.
| We have inteded to go and even set off but the trees of Vallandry
| trapped us with their allure.
|
| Les Arcs has some very challenging piste skiing from the Aiguille
Rouge.
| Also the bois d'ours and deux tete are, once again IMHO, much harder
| than the black pistes in La Plagne. As other posters have commented
upon
| there is a great variety of type of run in Les Arcs. The off piste in
| the trees of valandry is worth a visit in most snow conditions (though
| timing is important in the spring). There are good cruising pistes in
| Arc 1800 and 2000 for beginers and some smooth, well pisted, runs for
| those that want to go fast (one looks very smooth and of quite a steep
| gradient).

Phew - for a moment I thought you might be giving away the secrets of
the Arc 1600 domain - the Arolles, Malgovert, Roulles, the Mont Blanc
forest, the reds down to Les Granges... but thankfully you stopped at
the 2 Tętes... ;o)

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Oops! it slipped out. I promise I will not mention it again. Sorry.

John