O.T. hjelp! with translation??

Old September 22nd 03, 07:02 PM
Tim Dudley

Default O.T. hjelp! with translation??

Can't find this info anywhere else - I've tried! Can someone please
translate these two folk songs for me? (You can mail me directly in order
to not offend the purists in the group...)

Thanks!

Tim
(Mandatory ski content: you could wind up in one of the Norwegian Mountain
Touring Association huts singing these after a ski across the
Hardangervidde...)

First:

Nils Tallefjoren den daute karen, han bela seg afte Høkstulgaren;
aa alt han bela, saa gik de ba, de'va madam Tulle han vilde ha.

and a cattle call:

So lokka me over den myra te role haug
kom alle dei underle dyra, kom kjyra
kom lækkete Kare...

and

Ungersvenden han bad sin pige, sin allerkjæ reste ven;
om han saa skuld'faa lov til at reise bort og komme so snarligt igjen

Old September 23rd 03, 04:35 AM
Seth Masia

Try http://www.tritrans.net/, which is an online Norwegian-to-English
dictionary. http://www.itools.com/lang/ does English-to-Norwegian text, but
not the other way around, which seems useless since almost all Norwegians
now speak English, while Americans are still monoglot.

Seth

Old September 23rd 03, 09:09 AM
Terje Mathisen

Seth Masia wrote:

Try http://www.tritrans.net/, which is an online Norwegian-to-English
dictionary. http://www.itools.com/lang/ does English-to-Norwegian text, but

I'd bet that's going to be totally worthless in translating these
songs/snippets:

They are written in very non-standard dialect.

Nils Tallefjoren den daute karen, han bela seg afte Høkstulgaren;
aa alt han bela, saa gik de ba, de'va madam Tulle han vilde ha.

About a guy (Nils T) who walks across a mountain, but doesn't get what
he wants, which is madam Tulle.

and a cattle call:

So lokka me over den myra te role haug
kom alle dei underle dyra, kom kjyra
kom lækkete Kare...

Calling for the cows, strange animals turns up, including young men.

and

Ungersvenden han bad sin pige, sin allerkjæ reste ven;
om han saa skuld'faa lov til at reise bort og komme so snarligt igjen

The young man asks his girl, his most beloved friend, if it's OK for him
to make a quick trip, promising to return shortly.

I've never heard about any of these 'songs'.

Terje

--
-

Old September 23rd 03, 08:33 PM
Tim Dudley

From: Terje Mathisen
I've never heard about any of these 'songs'.

Terje

The folk songs are from Grieg's "Norwegian Folk Songs and Dances". I got

Oops!!!

Not knowing my Grieg is almost as bad as being English and not knowing
your Shakespeare. (Ibsen would be a direct parallel).

Terje

Probably you're just not rural enough! But you were pretty close. I was
able to find someone who translated them - here is his reply:

-------------------
Yes, those rural dialects are tricky, but it happens that I translated all
three of them several years ago for Steen-Nøkleberg's book ONSTAGE WITH
GRIEG. Here are the translations you requested:

NIELS TALLEFJORDEN (op. 17 no. 4)
Niels Tallefjorden, that strapping fellow, went a-courting to the Håkstul
farm. And the courting went very well: It was Madam Tulde he was after.

COW CALL (op. 17 no. 22)
Come, all you wonderful animals: come cow, come calf, come cattle; come
Raute, come Skaute, come favorite of Kari, come Kappelan's Mari, come
Ronkebu's Kjersti, come Kålum's Berte, come Hullabrand.

THE SWAIN (op. 17, no. 2)
The young swain asked his girl, his very dearest friend, if he could have
permission to go away, and soon come back again.
-------------------

Old September 24th 03, 10:46 AM
Tim Sampson

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Oops!!!

Not knowing my Grieg is almost as bad as being English and not knowing
your Shakespeare. (Ibsen would be a direct parallel).

Terje

A friend of mine was teaching English in Norway for a year and he encouraged
his students to make a video about Norway that visitors to the country could
watch. In the video they praise Grieg for composing classics such as The
Four Seasons )

Cheers
Tim

Old March 9th 13, 02:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Hello..
Do you have the translation in to Englishfor the rest of folk songs in op.17 of Evard Grieg. I can find them anywhere and i really need them for my school paper ..thank you