Scratch one snowboarder

Old December 29th 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Default Scratch one snowboarder

On Dec 29, 3:47*am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 5:21*am, pigo wrote:

I ski in places where not wearing a helmet is posing. I bet you drive
you motorbike without one too, poser!

Hehe. That's funny. Do you think there are more skiers days total with
or without helmets? I don't have a motorbike anymore. When I did it
was sometimes yes and sometimes no.

It's marketing and a fad. As well as part of the nanny generation.
Take part in that if you wish.

Old December 29th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 29, 3:40*am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:17*am, The Real Bev wrote:
Helmets are mandatory on racing tracks for great reasons.

And on race courses on skis too. But for free skiing? Not for 99.99%.
It's just part of dressing the part you want to play.

Old December 29th 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/28/10 22:23, Ted Waldron wrote:

In article
,
Richard wrote:

On Dec 28, 6:14 pm, Ted wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
One of the articles I read (AP maybe) mentioned that nobody was wearing
a helmet. Jesus christ, next they'll be mentioning lack of helmets in
car crashes.

Yeah well, anyone that wears a helmet to ski and doesn't wear one to
walk down the street or drive a car is posing and wearing it for show.
Whether they know it or not.

I like wearing a helmet skiing, because my head is much warmer with a
balaclava and a helmet, and most of the time if I fall, it is because I
lose an edge on the ice, and it is a nice reassurance. I guess the wind
breaker aspect seems to be a plus for a helmet..

I also wear a helmet biking, even though the evidence is murky about the
benefits, and Unlike skiing, my head becomes a steam bath..

There is this video about some of the irrationality of bike helmets and
bike helmet campaigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-T...eature=related

In some ways, yes, car drivers should be wearing mandatory helmets
(besides five point seat belts) but even mitigatory safety standards
will not alleviate or solve the problem of major trauma accidents..

Anyway Non OB Ski, this is an uber cool website...

http://www.copenhagenize.com/

I grew up in Northern Vermont, and I had a paper route. I found I
could deliver all my papers in my lunch hour until winter ice and snow
made using the bicycle impossible. And I never wore a helmet then,
although I always wear one now after a couple of nasty accidents (rear
ended by a car one time and launched over the handlebars when the
front wheel came to a sudden stop in a pile of sand in another).

The day after I bought my sons helmets, one of them fell while trying
to get on a chairlift. The chair left a nice scratch in the helmet
just above his right ear, but no damage to his head.

I got whack at Lake Louise on a chair lift by a skier on a swinging
chair lift. (My girlfriend and I had to get out of the way had to get
out of the way because the seat wasn't put down) it wasn't fun, and I
wish at the time I had a helmet..

Most of the time I wear a bike helmet, given living in Seattle, I had
too many close calls with cars, and with wet surfaces, go endo over the
bike is always a risk on places like the Burke Gilman Trail, or those
who make right turns in front of me. However, the downside of wearing a
bike helmet in Seattle or any other hilly city, it gets hot very fast

I wear mine all the time, and heat has never been noticeable --
including riding in 90F+ weather.

going up Denny Way from downtown or going from lower Queen Anne to Upper
Queen Anne... I also remember going up California Street in San
Francisco, which was character humbling to say the least. However
Gravity is character building. Damn Newton and his character building.

******* spent all his time sitting under trees. Easy for him to say
what's good for other people. Probably a Democrat. Compartmented
intelligence.

I am probably one of the few that likes wearing a ski helmet, because
I finally had a warm head, after it seems for years wearing balaclavas
and Chullos, I had a cold noggin.

My head has never been cold either -- I have really thick hair. Not on
my ears, though. Or in them. BTW, did you know that the record for
ear-hair length is something like 9 inches?

--
Cheers, Bev
Sign on restroom hand-dryer:

Old December 29th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/29/10 02:42, Evojeesus wrote:

On Dec 29, 1:32 am, wrote:

Yeah well, anyone that wears a helmet to ski and doesn't wear one to
walk down the street or drive a car is posing and wearing it for show.
Whether they know it or not.

According to that logic wearing a seatbelt is dumb too. I never needed
a seatbelt yet in all my years of driving so they must be
useless....doh!

A bike helmet is designed to protect some part of your head from a
6-foot fall. Not all that impressive. I guess the automobile
equivalent would be chintz seatbelts tied in neat bows.

Old December 29th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 29, 7:27*am, The Real Bev wrote:

My head has never been cold either -- I have really thick hair. *Not on
my ears, though. *Or in them. *BTW, did you know that the record for
ear-hair length is something like 9 inches?

I didn't know there was a record. I'm going to have to stop plucking
out those 2-inchers.
Old December 29th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 28, 8:21*pm, pigo wrote:
On Dec 28, 7:14*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:

* I like wearing a helmet skiing, because my head is much warmer with a
balaclava and a helmet, and most of the time if I fall, it is because I
lose an edge on the ice, and it is a nice reassurance. *I guess the wind
breaker aspect seems to be a plus for a helmet..

I've been out on 10 below days. A hat and neck gator are too hot even
then. I have to wear them to keep from getting frostbite on my face.
But my body overheats from working without a place for the heat to
escape. In other words there is no way to get more coverage than I
have with that setup.

More proof that alcohol acts as an anti-freeze.

I also wear a helmet biking, even though the evidence is murky about the
benefits, and Unlike skiing, my head becomes a steam bath..

I wear a helmet mtn. biking. Not on the street. I don't have a problem
with helmets for downhill racing and can kinda see it for true extreme
(sort of). But I dont' wear a parachute on planes either.

Holy ****. There is dumb, there is stupid, and there is Brain Fried
Bob Thompson, who obviously has taken too many falls iwthout a helmet.

There is this video about some of the irrationality of bike helmets and
bike helmet campaigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-T...eature=related

*In some ways, yes, car drivers should be wearing mandatory helmets
(besides five point seat belts) but even mitigatory safety standards
will not alleviate or solve the problem of major trauma accidents..

Most of the people you see wearing helmets are wedging down the groom.

Just about every expert skier I see wears a helmet. Just about
everybody at Crystal who hits the backcountry.
Shants Bob skis Alta. Says it all.

Terminal intermediates like trunky. To wear a helmet for that and not
to drive a car is total poseur.

Holy ****. To make that claim exposes Pussy Bob as a poseur. Not to
mention that cars have roll cages to protect heads, and Bob Thompson
just rolls another one to get stoned on the lift.

Old December 29th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Dec 29, 2:42*am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:32*am, pigo wrote:

Yeah well, anyone that wears a helmet to ski and doesn't wear one to
walk down the street or drive a car is posing and wearing it for show.
Whether they know it or not.

According to that logic wearing a seatbelt is dumb too. I never needed
a seatbelt yet in all my years of driving so they must be
useless....doh!

Evo, you're trying to make sense out of Brain Fried Thompson logic.
Impossible.
Old December 29th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Dec 29, 5:21*am, pigo wrote:
I ski in places where not wearing a helmet is posing. I bet you drive
you motorbike without one too, poser!

Hehe. That's funny.

No, you are funny, poseur.

Do you think there are more skiers days total with
or without helmets?

I'd say about even, leaning towards helmets. Everywhere but Alta,
where poseurs rule.

I don't have a motorbike anymore. When I did it
was sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Obviously, you dumped it a few times without wearing a helmet.

It's marketing and a fad. As well as part of the nanny generation.
Take part in that if you wish.

I am delighted you choose not to. Not that anyone would notice if you
suffered major brain trauma.
Anecdotal evidence: good buddy of mine took a minor fall, head
bounced off the snow. Wearing a helmet. He ended up in the emergency
room that night, four days in the hospital with a brain bleed. Docs
said the helmet saved his life.
Make sure and wear one at Sun Valley. Or the Canyons. That way I
won't recognize you.
Old December 29th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Dec 29, 4:10*pm, pigo wrote:

It's marketing and a fad. As well as part of the nanny generation.
Take part in that if you wish.

I definitely wish to partake. Don't you ski narrow or bendy couloirs?
How about while rappeling, wish to catch a falling block of ice with
your beanie?
Old December 29th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Dec 29, 4:12*pm, pigo wrote:
On Dec 29, 3:40*am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:17*am, The Real Bev wrote:
Helmets are mandatory on racing tracks for great reasons.

And on race courses on skis too. But for free skiing? Not for 99.99%.
It's just part of dressing the part you want to play.

I'm not advocating making helmets mandatory for free skiing.

Goggle Lens Materials and Scratch Resistance [email protected] Alpine Skiing 3 January 2nd 07 03:05 PM
Death by Snowboarder rosco Alpine Skiing 240 March 13th 05 04:19 AM
Death by Snowboarder root Snowboarding 7 March 4th 05 05:15 PM
Snowboarder Dead :-( Simon Brown European Ski Resorts 23 January 10th 05 09:16 PM
Snowboarder Learning to Ski [email protected] Alpine Skiing 8 December 19th 04 06:32 AM