Scratch one snowboarder

Old December 29th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Scratch one snowboarder

On 12/28/2010 10:46 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:14 pm, Ted wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
One of the articles I read (AP maybe) mentioned that nobody was wearing
a helmet. Jesus christ, next they'll be mentioning lack of helmets in
car crashes.

Yeah well, anyone that wears a helmet to ski and doesn't wear one to
walk down the street or drive a car is posing and wearing it for show.
Whether they know it or not.

I like wearing a helmet skiing, because my head is much warmer with a
balaclava and a helmet, and most of the time if I fall, it is because I
lose an edge on the ice, and it is a nice reassurance. I guess the wind
breaker aspect seems to be a plus for a helmet..

I also wear a helmet biking, even though the evidence is murky about the
benefits, and Unlike skiing, my head becomes a steam bath..

There is this video about some of the irrationality of bike helmets and
bike helmet campaigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-T...eature=related

In some ways, yes, car drivers should be wearing mandatory helmets
(besides five point seat belts) but even mitigatory safety standards
will not alleviate or solve the problem of major trauma accidents..

Anyway Non OB Ski, this is an uber cool website...

http://www.copenhagenize.com/

I grew up in Northern Vermont, and I had a paper route. I found I
could deliver all my papers in my lunch hour until winter ice and snow
made using the bicycle impossible. And I never wore a helmet then,
although I always wear one now after a couple of nasty accidents (rear
ended by a car one time and launched over the handlebars when the
front wheel came to a sudden stop in a pile of sand in another).

The day after I bought my sons helmets, one of them fell while trying
to get on a chairlift. The chair left a nice scratch in the helmet
just above his right ear, but no damage to his head.

I tend to like my helmet as a nice hat and
figure that I ski fast enough so that if I
should biff big, I'll probably break my neck
and no helmet will save me.

Having said that...
I have a helmet stashed away here someplace
with a bit of wood embedded in it from a
horizontal snag placed about 5 feet above
the snow that I tried to ski under.

Hey, there were other ski track under it and
no blood on the ground.
Old December 29th 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 28, 5:39*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/28/10 16:32, pigo wrote:

On Dec 28, 5:17 pm, The Real *wrote:

* *I saw that story. Just standing in the middle of a run. Mom is in the
* *hospital too if I remember right. Oh well. I'm just glad I don't have
* *to deal with that ****.

Here's one I found:
*http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/1...r-girl-killed-...

*That article was missing, but there was another one. *I couldn't find
*anything that said "middle", but it seems likely -- boarders don't seem
*to like the edges. *Probably just beyond a lip, too. *Mountain High
*board lessons don't mention anything about safe stopping places or
*looking out for other skiers/boarders. *Surely they can't be the only
*ski area with incompetent staff...

Mine says "stopped in middle of run". And it appears that the helmet
issue was in question but now it's determined that she was wearing
one.

AP article:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10/12/27/AR201...

Wore helmet, middle of run, internal injuries.

*Yeah, I'm ready to hang the mom, but if she was on the edge where she
*should have been, I apologize.

Apparently no apology is necessary.

I didn't see anything that gives any indication that anyone was a
fault other than the piece of **** that hit them.

Yeah, but if you're a mom you're responsible for NOT doing stupid stuff
that exposes your kid to serious injury or death. *At this point sane
people expect boarders to do what boarders do and ski accordingly. *I
always slow down at visibility-impaired lips, but most people don't.

I don't see anything that said that they did stupid stuff. I don't see
anything about stopping under a lip. My minds eye just sees them
standing in the middle of a big ol run.

Snowboards around skiers are inherently dangerous. The lack of control
engineered into them is uncompatible. Mix in the social retardation of
those that partake and there you go.

One good thing about incidents like this. The lawsuit. Hopefully it
closes the place. And then the next one and next one and next one
until they infest only their own areas.

I especially like the camelbacks that some people around here wear.
Perhaps they're just practicing for their next backcountry trip, but
somehow I doubt it.

Same thing. "Look how extreme I am" syndrome.

Old December 29th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 28, 7:14*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:

* I like wearing a helmet skiing, because my head is much warmer with a
balaclava and a helmet, and most of the time if I fall, it is because I
lose an edge on the ice, and it is a nice reassurance. *I guess the wind
breaker aspect seems to be a plus for a helmet..

I've been out on 10 below days. A hat and neck gator are too hot even
then. I have to wear them to keep from getting frostbite on my face.
But my body overheats from working without a place for the heat to
escape. In other words there is no way to get more coverage than I
have with that setup.

I also wear a helmet biking, even though the evidence is murky about the
benefits, and Unlike skiing, my head becomes a steam bath..

I wear a helmet mtn. biking. Not on the street. I don't have a problem
with helmets for downhill racing and can kinda see it for true extreme
(sort of). But I dont' wear a parachute on planes either.

There is this video about some of the irrationality of bike helmets and
bike helmet campaigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-T...eature=related

*In some ways, yes, car drivers should be wearing mandatory helmets
(besides five point seat belts) but even mitigatory safety standards
will not alleviate or solve the problem of major trauma accidents..

Most of the people you see wearing helmets are wedging down the groom.
Terminal intermediates like trunky. To wear a helmet for that and not
to drive a car is total poseur.

Anyway Non OB Ski, this is an uber cool website...

http://www.copenhagenize.com/

We ride bikes all the time in The Netherlands. It's a great way to get
around. Of course things are totally different there and it works. I
don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a helmet.
Old December 29th 10, 04:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On 12/28/10 16:32, pigo wrote:

[...]

Brain Fried Bob, your mind's eye is bloodshot and filled with vodka.

Snowboards around skiers are inherently dangerous. The lack of control
engineered into them is uncompatible. Mix in the social retardation of
those that partake and there you go.

Holy ****. Irony meter suffers a lack of control. Shants Bob
accusing ANYONE of social retardation.
Not to mention his own retardation because he partakes for breakfast,
lunch, and dinner.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

One good thing about incidents like this. The lawsuit. Hopefully it
closes the place. And then the next one and next one and next one
until they infest only their own areas.

Birther Bob, you really are deranged. Infested with some sort of
brain fever that gives you delusions.
A five year old girl gets killed, and Shants Bob finds a good thing
about it. Insane.

I especially like the camelbacks that some people around here wear.
Perhaps they're just practicing for their next backcountry trip, but
somehow I doubt it.

Same thing. "Look how extreme I am" syndrome

This from the laughable freak who is always bragging about how extreme
he was. Irony meter infests itself.
Old December 29th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Dec 28, 9:37*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/28/10 20:13, pigo wrote:

On Dec 28, 5:39 pm, The Real *wrote:

*AP article:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10/12/27/AR201...

*Wore helmet, middle of run, internal injuries.

* * *Yeah, I'm ready to hang the mom, but if she was on the edge where she
* * *should have been, I apologize.

*Apparently no apology is necessary.

* *I didn't see anything that gives any indication that anyone was a
* *fault other than the piece of **** that hit them.

*Yeah, but if you're a mom you're responsible for NOT doing stupid stuff
*that exposes your kid to serious injury or death. *At this point sane
*people expect boarders to do what boarders do and ski accordingly. *I
*always slow down at visibility-impaired lips, but most people don't..

I don't see anything that said that they did stupid stuff. I don't see
anything about stopping under a lip. My minds eye just sees them
standing in the middle of a big ol run.

I regard stopping in the middle of a run as something to be shunned as
long as you can get to the side. *Period. *Perhaps where runs are wider
and less crowded this isn't quite as necessary, but standing in a place
where thoughtless idiots can smash into you is at the very least
irresponsible and at worst fatal.

Clue time, you thoughtless idiot. Boarders tend to ski the sides of a
run to bonk the features. Ergo, you dumb**** ****, the middle of the
run is the safest place if you are trying to avoid getting bonked by a
boarder. But being a thoughtless idiot, you have not figured that
out. Good.

Snowboards around skiers are inherently dangerous. The lack of control
engineered into them is uncompatible. Mix in the social retardation of
those that partake and there you go.

That's why god gave some of us brains.

Obviously, God skipped you and Brain Fried Bob. I can think of no
group of people who are more socially retarded than teabaggers, you
teabagging ****.

One good thing about incidents like this. The lawsuit. Hopefully it
closes the place. And then the next one and next one and next one
until they infest only their own areas.

Unlikely and undesirable. *Better would be to simply kill the careless,
but that's not likely to happen on a more than sporadic basis.

The Final Solution, from Adolf Bashley. Yeah, yeah, I know the Nazi
comparison is considered extreme, but did she not just advocate mass
murder of mental defectives?
Old December 29th 10, 08:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
Ted Waldron wrote:

I also wear a helmet biking, even though the evidence is murky about the
benefits, and Unlike skiing, my head becomes a steam bath..

There is this video about some of the irrationality of bike helmets and
bike helmet campaigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-T...eature=related

That is really interesting!!! Thank you.
Old December 29th 10, 10:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Dec 29, 1:17*am, The Real Bev wrote:

One of the articles I read (AP maybe) mentioned that nobody was wearing
a helmet. *Jesus christ, next they'll be mentioning lack of helmets in
car crashes.

Helmets are mandatory on racing tracks for great reasons.
Old December 29th 10, 10:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Dec 29, 1:32*am, pigo wrote:

Yeah well, anyone that wears a helmet to ski and doesn't wear one to
walk down the street or drive a car is posing and wearing it for show.
Whether they know it or not.

According to that logic wearing a seatbelt is dumb too. I never needed
a seatbelt yet in all my years of driving so they must be
useless....doh!
Old December 29th 10, 10:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Dec 29, 5:21*am, pigo wrote:

Most of the people you see wearing helmets are wedging down the groom.
Terminal intermediates like trunky. To wear a helmet for that and not
to drive a car is total poseur.

I ski in places where not wearing a helmet is posing. I bet you drive
you motorbike without one too, poser!
Old December 29th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 28, 11:34*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:

They also don't have to deal with gravity. *Bikes are great for
transport when it is flat, but there is a reason why the Tour de France
separates the wheat from the chaff, given some of the brutal climbs,
much like some of the climbs like Hwy 20 in Washington State where they
go from sea level to 5400 feet (Rainy Pass) in 30-40 miles. *It is a
good ride to take one's enemy... I am curious of biking around the
Netherlands and Denmark one of these days.. I would also like to go this
plant in the Netherlands...

Not many hills there. But the biking as a mode of transportation is
pretty interesting. I don't think it would be so in an area that was
too hilly. We don't bike "around" places, as in go from place to
place. We get somewhere then get bikes for local transportation
usually. It is the way to go in The Key's too.

ironically some of the best climbers in Tour de France history have been
Dutch, and the Dutch always have a huge contingent at Alpe D'Huez *when
there is a stage there for the Tour de France.

Rabo Bank has a big team. And there are usually alot of Orange jerseys
in the TdF.

Anyway I thought it was interesting video piece. *I would have no
problem with mandatory helmets for car driving, if there is regulation
for motorcycle helmets and bike helmets. *I wear a bike helmet no matter
the research, because I had some close calls with those metal monsters,

What a pain in the ass that would be. As you might guess, I would be
totally against it.

Goggle Lens Materials and Scratch Resistance [email protected] Alpine Skiing 3 January 2nd 07 04:05 PM
Death by Snowboarder rosco Alpine Skiing 240 March 13th 05 05:19 AM
Death by Snowboarder root Snowboarding 7 March 4th 05 06:15 PM
Snowboarder Dead :-( Simon Brown European Ski Resorts 23 January 10th 05 10:16 PM
Snowboarder Learning to Ski [email protected] Alpine Skiing 8 December 19th 04 07:32 AM