Skid, slip, and carved turn

Old February 10th 05, 05:29 PM
yunlong

Default Skid, slip, and carved turn

Based on the quality of a turn, a downhill ski turn can be classified
in three categories: carved turn, skidded turn, and slipped turn.

A carved turn is made by the technique called "carving," where the ski
is made traveling along the curvature of reverse chamber of the ski
without any slippage; i.e. the tail of the ski follows the tip of the
ski along the curved path in a synchronized manner. A skidded turn
happens when the tail of the ski moves downhill with a slightly faster
rate than the tip of the ski, which causes the ski over-turn. And a
slipped turn is when the tip of the ski moves downhill faster than the
tail, which straightens the curved path somewhat, is an under-turn.

What makes the carved turn so special is that, while both skidding and
slipping rob the speed/energy of the ski, carving maintains its turning
ability without losing its speed. The caveat is, nevertheless, that the
skier must continue to turn to carve, thus reduces the skier's forward
speed.

Most of parallel turns are done with skidding turn, where skidding
serves dual purposes of breaking and turning.

Though flatboarding employs all three techniques to maintain a
proper/desired line, it generally utilizes flat board and slipping turn
for faster speed and straighter line downhill.

Five-year-old Andrea asked, why she had to turn when she only wanted to
go there/straight?

Interesting,
IS

Old February 10th 05, 07:20 PM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
Based on the quality of a turn, a downhill ski turn can be classified
in three categories: carved turn, skidded turn, and slipped turn.

Based on the "quality" of a turn? Foot, help me out here.
Quality supposes "good", "bad", and other subjective
descriptions. I think we need to get back to the mechanics
of skiing.

"A turn can be initiated by skidding, slipping (we are going
to have a discussion on the difference between these two,
but I think I know what you are talking about) or by rolling
the ankles and bending the ski into a 'carve'." Is this what
you want to say?

A carved turn is made by the technique called "carving," where the ski
is made traveling along the curvature of reverse chamber of the ski
without any slippage; i.e. the tail of the ski follows the tip of the
ski along the curved path in a synchronized manner.

A carved turn is made by carving. Yeah, right. I actually think
you can do better than this with the language. It is considered
a mistake to define a word with the same word or a different
form of the word.

But I'm not so sure. "where the ski is made TO TRAVEL along" the
path described by the curve of the ski, either the sidecut radius
or as reduced by bending. The tail of the ski follows the tip of
the ski along the curved path described above. (forget "synchronized
manner".)

A skidded turn
happens when the tail of the ski moves downhill with a slightly faster
rate than the tip of the ski,

That's mechanics, OK.

which causes the ski over-turn.

wrong choice of words. "over-turn" can mean either to turn too
much or tip over. Neither meaning is what you wanted.

You may be thinking of "over-steer" and "under-steer" as
applied to driving a car, it doesn't work for skiing.

The skid can be the entire turn until you set your edges
to stop turning (or initiate a skid in the opposite direction).
Or it can be the beginning of a carved arc where the skid gets
you turning in the direction you want to go, you set your edges
and apply pressure to the outside ski and carve an arc. Very
effective in the days when skis didn't have much sidecut.

And a
slipped turn is when the tip of the ski moves downhill faster than the
tail, which straightens the curved path somewhat, is an under-turn.

I'm not sure about this. If the slip reduces the amount the
ski is turning, isn't it an "ANTI-TURN"? I can't imagine a
situation where allowing the tip to slip out is desirable
EXCEPT in "falling leaf" which is a survival, extreme braking
move when you are deep do do.

What makes the carved turn so special is that, while both skidding and
slipping rob the speed/energy of the ski, carving maintains its turning
ability without losing its speed.

True, the carved turn itself does not cause braking. It will
help to control your speed by causing you to take a longer
path down the mountain which, by definition is a less steep
path down the mountain.

The caveat is, nevertheless, that the
skier must continue to turn to carve, thus reduces the skier's forward
speed.

I'm not even going to try to translate this. You might
be saying that the longer path slows you down.

Most of parallel turns are done with skidding turn, where skidding
serves dual purposes of breaking and turning.

True, especially on steeps.

Though flatboarding employs all three techniques to maintain a
proper/desired line,

Okay...

it generally utilizes flat board and slipping turn
for faster speed and straighter line downhill.

As above, I can't imagine a situation where slipping
the tips is a good thing. Further, for me to slip the
tips of my skis as described, I need to be in the back
seat. Is this what your are proposing?

Five-year-old Andrea asked, why she had to turn when she only wanted to
go there/straight?

Is it time for something a little steeper? But with a
bunny berm at the end.

Interesting,
IS

My question to you is...
Why do you post these word pictures of skiing that may
or may not be accurate, including inaccuracies in the
understanding of the language? This is a newsgroup made
up of skiers who mostly have a decent understanding of
the mechanics and who don't need instruction at this
very elementary level.

Are you trying out explanations for your teaching on us?

If so, you might enlighten us and ask for our input
rather that insult us when we say you are not making
sense.

It is a sure thing that the folks who post here are not
going to adopt your method as an end-all be-all skiing
technique for ourselves. Many of us could do perfectly
what you have shown us in your videos. But why would
we want to?

Foot, OTOH, is suggesting words and methods for teaching
and is trying to convince us to teach without ego (if
indeed any of us are teachers). One of the things you
have shown us here (I said shown, not proven that you
own) is a huge ego. You have also shown us that at best
you have a barely adequate grasp of the mechanics. This
last may well be a failure in language, not actual
knowledge. But the ego is still there. "My way is the
only right way and you are an idiot if you don't agree."
This is what you sound like.

VtSkier

Old February 11th 05, 06:23 AM
yunlong

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:
Based on the quality of a turn, a downhill ski turn can be

classified
in three categories: carved turn, skidded turn, and slipped turn.

Based on the "quality" of a turn? Foot, help me out here.
Quality supposes "good", "bad", and other subjective
descriptions. I think we need to get back to the mechanics
of skiing.

Fast line, smooth transition, and clean, yes, these are some desired
"quality" of a turn.

"A turn can be initiated by skidding, slipping (we are going
to have a discussion on the difference between these two,
but I think I know what you are talking about) or by rolling
the ankles and bending the ski into a 'carve'." Is this what
you want to say?

Not exactly, I was saying there are three kinds of turn in downhill
skiing, and each has its usage and shortfall.

A carved turn is made by the technique called "carving," where the

ski
is made traveling along the curvature of reverse chamber of the ski
without any slippage; i.e. the tail of the ski follows the tip of

the
ski along the curved path in a synchronized manner.

A carved turn is made by carving.

Exactly, I might have used "like carving a piece of wood" to describe
it, as if you have ever done wood-carving, you'd know what that means;
however, how many of you have ever done wood-carving?

Yeah, right. I actually
think you can do better than this with the language. It is
considered a mistake to define a word with the same word or a
different form of the word.

You do get the meaning, don't you?

But I'm not so sure. "where the ski is made TO TRAVEL along"
the path described by the curve of the ski, either the sidecut
radius or as reduced by bending. The tail of the ski follows
the tip of the ski along the curved path described above.
(forget "synchronized manner".)

What are you not so sure about?

A skidded turn
happens when the tail of the ski moves downhill with a
slightly faster rate than the tip of the ski,

That's mechanics, OK.

which causes the ski over-turn.

wrong choice of words. "over-turn" can mean either to turn too
much or tip over. Neither meaning is what you wanted.

"Over-turn," as used to describe in skiing turn, would naturally mean
"turn too much," don't you think? As you used "tip over" what "tip" do
you mean? Wrangling the words.

You may be thinking of "over-steer" and "under-steer" as
applied to driving a car, it doesn't work for skiing.

Yup, we know how your partitioned thinking works; however, skid and
slip are actually physics terms, and the phenomena scientific facts.

The skid can be the entire turn until you set your edges
to stop turning (or initiate a skid in the opposite direction).
Or it can be the beginning of a carved arc where the skid gets
you turning in the direction you want to go, you set your edges
and apply pressure to the outside ski and carve an arc. Very
effective in the days when skis didn't have much sidecut.

Not sure what you're getting at; wherever you have your ski tail moved
faster than you ski tip during a turn, you are skidding.

And a
slipped turn is when the tip of the ski moves downhill faster than

the
tail, which straightens the curved path somewhat, is an under-turn.

I'm not sure about this. If the slip reduces the amount the
ski is turning, isn't it an "ANTI-TURN"?

Yes, as it is an "ANTI-TURN," the "line" would be straighter, thus
faster.

I can't imagine a
situation where allowing the tip to slip out is desirable
EXCEPT in "falling leaf" which is a survival, extreme braking
move when you are deep do do.

When you wash-out on skidding, only way to recover is to slip the tip
downhill. And when you slip the tip, the line would be straighter, so
you gain a better "downward"/"forward" speed.

What makes the carved turn so special is that, while both skidding

and
slipping rob the speed/energy of the ski, carving maintains its

turning
ability without losing its speed.

True, the carved turn itself does not cause braking. It will
help to control your speed by causing you to take a longer
path down the mountain which, by definition is a less steep
path down the mountain.

No, the carved turn slows itself down, or balances against gravity by
continuing turning uphill, yes, the longer path.

The caveat is, nevertheless, that the
skier must continue to turn to carve, thus reduces the
skier's forward speed.

I'm not even going to try to translate this. You might
be saying that the longer path slows you down.

That's true, too, as the forward speed goes.

Most of parallel turns are done with skidding turn, where
skidding serves dual purposes of breaking and turning.

True, especially on steeps.

Though flatboarding employs all three techniques to maintain
a proper/desired line,

Okay...

it generally utilizes flat board and slipping turn
for faster speed and straighter line downhill.

As above, I can't imagine a situation where slipping
the tips is a good thing. Further, for me to slip the
tips of my skis as described, I need to be in the back
seat. Is this what your are proposing?

You cannot slip the tips by sitting back seat; you can only do skid
with that posture. Slipping the tips is done by pressing the uphill
edges--the little toe side edge of the inside ski and the big toe side
of the outside ski--downward (away from the hill), which can only be
done with the pressure on the little ball of foot and little toe side
edge of the inside ski, which can only be done by moving your knee so
much forward to press the boot that your heel is actually suspended
inside your boot.

Five-year-old Andrea asked, why she had to turn when she
only wanted to go there/straight?

Is it time for something a little steeper? But with a
bunny berm at the end.

That little girl, now 6, is actually a black diamond skier at the
Heavenly.

Interesting,
IS

My question to you is...
Why do you post these word pictures of skiing that may
or may not be accurate,

Skid, slip, and carved turn are physics terms and scientific facts;
only thing inaccurate here is your knowledge about it.

including inaccuracies in the
understanding of the language?

Spare me your comment on language, your half-baked understanding does
not impress me.

This is a newsgroup made
up of skiers who mostly have a decent understanding of
the mechanics and who don't need instruction at this
very elementary level.

Maybe you should go back to the basic so you may actually learn
something new? How do you slip the tip again?

Are you trying out explanations for your teaching on us?

I am talking about how I ski, what, feel that you are been taught?

If so, you might enlighten us

Yes, I have provided you information on these scientific facts,

and ask for our input

you have no input but babbling.

rather that insult us when we say you are not making
sense.

As I said, you can only be insulted by your own incompetence.

It is a sure thing that the folks who post here are not
going to adopt your method as an end-all be-all skiing
technique for ourselves.

It's your skiing, not something I care.

Many of us could do perfectly
what you have shown us in your videos.

Yeah right.

Actually, you have seen nothing yet.

But why would we want to?

To enjoy the thrill of the ultimate "free" skiing?

Foot, OTOH, is suggesting words and methods for teaching
and is trying to convince us to teach without ego (if
indeed any of us are teachers). One of the things you
have shown us here (I said shown, not proven that you
own) is a huge ego. You have also shown us that at best
you have a barely adequate grasp of the mechanics.

That's what you said, or maybe you just don't know enough?

This last may well be a failure in language, not actual
knowledge. But the ego is still there.

Ego isn't a problem, we all have one; it is egotism that is the
problem.

"My way is the
only right way and you are an idiot if you don't agree."

That's your egotism talking.

This is what you sound like.

Egotism is one who boasts beyond one's own ability/knowledge to make
oneself [self-]important.

That's what you sound like.

IS

VtSkier

Old February 11th 05, 07:03 AM
yunlong

Sven Golly wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in
oups.com:

A carved turn is made by the technique called "carving," where the

ski
is made traveling along the curvature of reverse chamber of the ski
without any slippage; i.e. the tail of the ski follows the tip of

the
ski along the curved path in a synchronized manner. A skidded turn
happens when the tail of the ski moves downhill with a slightly

faster
rate than the tip of the ski, which causes the ski over-turn. And a
slipped turn is when the tip of the ski moves downhill faster than

the
tail, which straightens the curved path somewhat, is an under-turn

This mostly nonsense.

1. Carving is a combination of reverse camber (arc) and sidecut.

So you think that your "reverse camber" has a better meaning than my
"reverse chamber"?

2. Slipping / skidding / sliding / whatever - they're all the same.

NO
ONE in the entire world makes any distinction except apparently you.

"The entire world" maybe an exaggeration, nevertheless, to skid the
tail to brake and to slip the tip to go do have a definite distinction
and different function.

The reason a skidded turn works is because either the front or the

tail of
the ski is gripping the snow while the other isn't. Why create a new
definition when you can just simply say "skid" the tails or "skid"

the
tips?

"Skid the tips"? Yo VtSkier, what do you think?

3. There is no such thing as an under-turn or over-turn -- at least

not
in the sense that you're describing. They are turns. An "over turn"

in
classic language is where you've turned out of the fall line too far

and
have to make an exaggerated motion to come back around. Beginning

powder
skiers over turn a lot.

The "over turn" here is to describe the ski turns/changing direction
more than the carved/standard turn.

Now, you may produce an effect similar to under-steering or

over-steering
in a car via the skidded turn but that is NOT an over-turn or

under-turn.

Skidding and slipping are actually used for minor line adjustment
without a full blown turning, and consequently enable the skier to
"track" a desired/perceived line.

I sure hope no beginners or intermediates are paying attention to

you.

They are.

You could set their development back an entire season or two
with this ****e.

What if they actually save themselves a season or two of learning time,
****head?

IS

--
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual

Old February 11th 05, 07:41 AM
Jay Pique

"yunlong" wrote:

A carved turn is made by carving.

Exactly, I might have used "like carving a piece of wood" to describe
it, as if you have ever done wood-carving, you'd know what that means;
however, how many of you have ever done wood-carving?

Moi. Je carve comme your vache espaniole. It's all in the honing
baby.

Yeah, right. I actually
think you can do better than this with the language. It is
considered a mistake to define a word with the same word or a
different form of the word.

You do get the meaning, don't you?

Our technology has evolved at a far too rapid a rate for our stagnant
minds.

But I'm not so sure. "where the ski is made TO TRAVEL along"
the path described by the curve of the ski, either the sidecut
radius or as reduced by bending. The tail of the ski follows
the tip of the ski along the curved path described above.
(forget "synchronized manner".)

What are you not so sure about?

I'm sure that I need to ski more. When I move to Santa Fe I'm going
to jump over a highway somewhere near Taos. It will be photographed
and then broadcast widely over the internet, at which point I'll
retire, consider myelf a success and start telemarking.

JP
*************************
AT. It's more than just a tire.

Old February 11th 05, 08:31 AM

Sven Golly wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in
oups.com:

2. Slipping / skidding / sliding / whatever - they're all the same.

NO
ONE in the entire world makes any distinction except apparently you.

The
reason a skidded turn works is because either the front or the tail

of
the ski is gripping the snow while the other isn't. Why create a new
definition when you can just simply say "skid" the tails or "skid"

the
tips?

One can also "skid" both the tails and tips at the same time to a
varying degree.

Old February 11th 05, 03:51 PM
Jeff

Sven Golly wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in
oups.com:

A carved turn is made by the technique called "carving," where the ski
is made traveling along the curvature of reverse chamber of the ski
without any slippage; i.e. the tail of the ski follows the tip of the
ski along the curved path in a synchronized manner. A skidded turn
happens when the tail of the ski moves downhill with a slightly faster
rate than the tip of the ski, which causes the ski over-turn. And a
slipped turn is when the tip of the ski moves downhill faster than the
tail, which straightens the curved path somewhat, is an under-turn

This mostly nonsense.

1. Carving is a combination of reverse camber (arc) and sidecut.

Ding, ding, ding! Succinct and accurate. In control, your edge contact
is on the front and the back of the ski. G-force drives the skier into
the ski and causes it to bend in the arc that you describe. It is also
one of the sweet sensations in life...

2. Slipping / skidding / sliding / whatever - they're all the same. NO
ONE in the entire world makes any distinction except apparently you. The
reason a skidded turn works is because either the front or the tail of
the ski is gripping the snow while the other isn't. Why create a new
definition when you can just simply say "skid" the tails or "skid" the
tips?

This conforms with my understanding. I'd be inclined to say that in most
cases, the front shovel edge bites the snow while the tail slips.

3. There is no such thing as an under-turn or over-turn -- at least not
in the sense that you're describing. They are turns. An "over turn" in
classic language is where you've turned out of the fall line too far and
have to make an exaggerated motion to come back around. Beginning powder
skiers over turn a lot.

Overturns, as you've described them, are responsible for more speed loss
than anything I can think of short of a yard sale.

Jeff
Old February 11th 05, 06:45 PM
Jeff

Sven Golly wrote:
Jeff wrote in news:qc4Pd.35513$8a6.6053@trndny09:

I've found VtSkier to be accurate, informative and an asset to the
group. Conversely, you've filled threads with screeds that have NOTHING
to do with skiing. If you don't like the people in this group, then why
don't you find another place to play?

He has no other place. His life revolves around RSA. But you knew that. G

I'm learning... More importantly, he's focused on the topic at hand...

Jeff
Old February 11th 05, 07:32 PM
yunlong

Sven Golly wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in
oups.com:

1. Carving is a combination of reverse camber (arc) and sidecut.

So you think that your "reverse camber" has a better meaning
than my "reverse chamber"?

No. However, my inclusion of sidecut as a major factor is more
complete and accurate.

Maybe, or you just draw a snake with legs? (unnecessary and clumsy.)

What happens to the skis without sidecut, do they still carve?

2. Slipping / skidding / sliding / whatever - they're all the

same.
NO ONE in the entire world makes any distinction except apparently

you.

"The entire world" maybe an exaggeration, nevertheless, to
skid the tail to brake and to slip the tip to go do have a
definite distinction and different function.

No they don't.

Yes, they do.

Certainly no one speaking English is going to
know what mechanical differences are between slipping and
skidding as it applies to skis.

If the English speakers don't distinguish the difference between
slipping and skidding, why do they create two different words?

That's to say you know little and talk big.

The "over turn" here is to describe the ski turns/changing
direction more than the carved/standard turn.

Then pick some better words.

What do you suggest?

By the way, the skis themselves
may change direction more in a skidded turn than in an carved
turn but that doesn't mean the skier is producing shorter
radius turns.

Unlike slipping, if you skid, you are turning/changing direction.

He/she may or may not be.

Then he/she may fall, that is, washout.

Skidding and slipping are actually used for minor line
adjustment without a full blown turning, and consequently
enable the skier to "track" a desired/perceived line.

Carving can do the same thing. What's your point?

No, don't think you can make line adjustment with carving; i.e. carving
only goes one direction--follows the turning track--if you make a line
adjustment to the other direction, you'll be slipping.

I sure hope no beginners or intermediates are paying
attention to you.

They are.

Damn.

Can't stand others making progress?

You could set their development back an entire season or
two with this ****e.

What if they actually save themselves a season or two of
learning time, ****head?

What if the sky were made of chocolate milk?

Kids like it.

IS

--
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual

Old February 11th 05, 10:14 PM
Walt

Sven Golly wrote:
"yunlong"

No, don't think you can make line adjustment with carving; i.e. carving
only goes one direction--follows the turning track--if you make a line
adjustment to the other direction, you'll be slipping.

Then you aren't a good enough skier. Stop by for a lesson.

This is probably as good a proof as any that Mister flat-mouth doesn't
have the foggiest idea what carving is (well, other than those
embarrassing home videos he's posted, of course.)

Contrary to what he implies, a skier is most definitely *not* locked
into one radius for a carved turn. One can carve short radius turns,
long radius turns, or any radius in between. Or change radius mid turn.

--
//-Walt
//