Mt Mansfield Gondola accident - late 60's - Remember?

Old December 4th 03, 01:40 PM
Scott Leach

Default Mt Mansfield Gondola accident - late 60's - Remember?

Does anyone remember anything about this:
I am just curious if anyone has any information regarding a gondola accident
that occurred back in the late 60's in Stowe. When I was about 14 or 15 years
old, I was visiting a friend who lived in Stowe, and we went skiing at Mount
Mansfield. My friend and I were on the Gondola with one other person, maybe a
couple hundred yards from the base house, when one of the gondolas (the second
or third up the hill from us) fell off. I remember sitting in that gondola for
a long time, watching the activity below, and hoping to be able to get out by
the emergency rope (as I remember, there was some kind of line for
emergencies). Well, after a visual inspection, and what seemed like hours, I
guess they decided it was less risky to get everyone to the top instead of
allowing a bunch of nervous people to try to lower themselves down to the
ground. I think they chose wisely because there probably would have been a lot
more injuries!! That was a LONG ride up, especially considering there were
only one or two occupied gondolas behind us, and I can't imagine how many in
front of us.

I am guessing this took place between 1966 and 1968? Any information would be
appreciated. The internet is a great thing, but anything that was pre-internet
seems to be more difficult to track down.

I have told this story many times, but find that I can't really recall many
details - not sure if I was just too scared, or if it's just one of those
things that you don't realize the full impact of the situation when you are
young.

Thanks for any info!