Looking for Free Riding Big Mountain videos

Old November 27th 04, 07:05 PM
Goff

Default Looking for Free Riding Big Mountain videos

After the last few years of more ads than snowboarders, my friends and
I have said 'To hell with Warren Miller.' (Begin Rant)I mean, who
wants to pay $15 bucks to see a movie that's basically become a lame
ad for Nissan and Gatoraide? (I guess it's Jeep this year). And who
needs to see the "Warren waxes philosophic about his 100 years of
shooting skiing movies, and the good old days" bit again. Christ, it
seems like they use that clip of Marilyn Manroe every year.(End Rant)
So instead of sitting around bitching I decided to do something
about it. I bought a DLP projector a few months ago so my living room
makes for a pretty cool home theater. we're going to buy some
snowboarding videos and copious amounts of beer and have our own
pre-season kick-off party.
Does anybody have any suggestions for vid's? We've got one called
"lost in transition" that's pretty good. We're looking for mainly free
riding, big mountain and crazy people jumping giant table tops. Some
pipe and rail stuff is cool to.
(Rant with a message)I also suggest that anybody who has been
dissastified with Warren Miller's offerings as of late follow suite
and start your own pre-season tradition.
Snowboarders make up half of the consumers that Warren is selling
his movie to, however the amount of footage centering on snowboarding
is tiny. Screw him, give your money to people who make snowboarding
videos and ad to the sport. (End Rant with a Message)
Old November 29th 04, 03:49 PM
Chris J.

"Goff" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Like Jello says...Don't hate the media, become the media. Get a new camera
to go with the projector and start showing your own productions.

Chris

Old November 29th 04, 07:53 PM
tlf

LIT is good with some great Jeremy Jones footage but still not enough
freeriding for me. Personally I like Standard Films productions - TB9 is
my favorite with lots of big mountain freeriding. I have also enjoyed
watching Teton Gravity Research films but they show mostly plankers,
like the WM films.

I just found Transcendence, which should fit your bill. I like this review:

Pros
* Huuuge backcountry kickers and big mountain steeps
* Beautifully filmed
* Rated G - no messing around, just pure snowboarding

Cons
* Not much freestyle footage

Old December 3rd 04, 12:10 AM
Dean

Goff wrote:
Does anybody have any suggestions for vid's? We've got one called
"lost in transition" that's pretty good.

I recently viewed "Lost in Transition." In my opinion it's worth a look
but not much more than that. While it provides the names of the athletes
it does not tell you why they are in the video. What have they
accomplished other than defacing public property or risking their life?
What should I care about them? Why should I care about the 13 year old
bad boys in training? Where were the scenes filmed and why were those
locations selected? Who knows. It doesn't say. It was much too short.
Why did they travel around the planet for a few minutes of video? The
video has no soul. Glitz, but no soul.

"Soul Purpose" from Teton Gravity Research, while not an
all-snowboarding video, is very different. The Russian trip video extra
is well worth the time to watch. I have not viewed all of it yet, but
I'm looking forward to seeing more. And who would not want to see more
of Victoria Jealouse?

Dean

videos val di fiemme 2003 world champs p.bowen Nordic Skiing 0 January 15th 04 07:24 PM
learning V1: my videos + story from last week Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 34 January 9th 04 11:01 AM
V1 / videos Derick Fay Nordic Skiing 0 December 30th 03 09:54 PM
There goes the snow ... buh bye. J999w Nordic Skiing 12 December 30th 03 01:37 PM