ok, let me rephrase the whistler question

Old September 2nd 04, 06:54 AM
foot2foot

"Mike" wrote in message
news:TBwZc.67954$yh.33086@fed1read05...

As for the snow. It really is not that different than salt lake. Snow
during the storm and the day after is great. 3 sunny days after the last
storm, Salt lake snow and Whistler snow are the same... hard pack and Icy.

I find this an interesting statement.

I've not skied Utah, but I have skied everything commercial in
Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

Given certain conditions, snow *can* fall to the east of the
cascades that is dry and "fluffy" to an extent that will *never*
happen anywhere on the pacific coast. Although, any other
conditions are of course possible and do occur depending on
the time of year, etc.

I've seen snow so light it's almost unskiable due to the fact that
you'll just sink to the bottom of whatever depth it is, regardless
of what skis you are using. This being in eastern Oregon, Idaho
and Montana as well.

In fact this snow sometimes gets so light it becomes annoying.

Although, to get back to topic, I once skied Whistler in April
and found it to be winter up on top, powder galore, plenty light
to keep me happy. So, nonetheless, I can see your point.

Old September 2nd 04, 12:12 PM
pigo

"foot2foot" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

As for the snow. It really is not that different than salt lake. Snow
during the storm and the day after is great. 3 sunny days after the

last
storm, Salt lake snow and Whistler snow are the same... hard pack and

Icy.

I find this an interesting statement.

I found it interesting too. But since no one skis *in* Salt Lake the
comparison is accurate. I've skied light powder weeks after the last storm
here in the Wasatch though.

I've skied 2-3 feet of snow here that you couldn't even tell was there too.
I was still skiing the hardpack or whatever happend to be underneath without
any cushion at all.

pigo

Old September 2nd 04, 05:40 PM
BoftheW

In article , foot2foot says...

"Mike" wrote in message

As for the snow. It really is not that different than salt lake. Snow
during the storm and the day after is great. 3 sunny days after the last
storm, Salt lake snow and Whistler snow are the same... hard pack and Icy.

Gotta weigh in here... There is no way in hell that the snow in 'Salt Lake' (I
assume you mean BCC & LCC) and Whistler are similar. If you say so, you A) are a
liar, or B) have never skied both to compare.

BoftheW

Old September 2nd 04, 06:59 PM
Mike

My point is fresh snow is always great... In Salt Lake and in Whistler.

My January trip to Salt lake was during a warm spell. I was 4 days after a
great storm, but a warm spell hit the region. Alta was sunny with highs in
the upper 40's for several days. The light powder that once existed was now
gone and the surface snow was hard pack, crusty and icy.

Old September 2nd 04, 07:15 PM
lal_truckee

Mike wrote:

As for the snow. It really is not that different than salt lake.

Heh heh.
Heh Heh Heh.
Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh!

Snort. Chortle.

Pardon me.
Old September 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
foot2foot

"pigo" wrote in message

I've skied 2-3 feet of snow here that you couldn't even tell was there

too.
I was still skiing the hardpack or whatever happend to be underneath

without
any cushion at all.

pigo

Indeed, sometimes to the point that it can be really dangerous,
let alone the slide potential. If you ski into some kind of drift or
load that's 20 feet deep, you're going to the bottom and you
may not be able to get out.

Old September 3rd 04, 01:30 AM
Richard Henry

"foot2foot" wrote in message

"pigo" wrote in message

I've skied 2-3 feet of snow here that you couldn't even tell was there

too.
I was still skiing the hardpack or whatever happend to be underneath

without
any cushion at all.

pigo

Indeed, sometimes to the point that it can be really dangerous,
let alone the slide potential. If you ski into some kind of drift or
load that's 20 feet deep, you're going to the bottom and you
may not be able to get out.

As long as it's light enough that you can still breathe in it, you can just
wait for Spring.

Old September 3rd 04, 02:11 AM
uglymoney

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 06:12:19 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:

I've skied 2-3 feet of snow here that you couldn't even tell was there too.
I was still skiing the hardpack or whatever happend to be underneath without
any cushion at all.

I've had some days like that. 2.5 feet of snow at Telluride one day
that was featherlight, but you were still skiing the bumps underneath
that were impossible to see!

Talk about wrenching my back.

nate
Old September 3rd 04, 03:44 AM
pigo

wrote:

I've skied 2-3 feet of snow here that you couldn't even tell was there

too.
I was still skiing the hardpack or whatever happend to be underneath

without
any cushion at all.

I've had some days like that. 2.5 feet of snow at Telluride one day
that was featherlight, but you were still skiing the bumps underneath
that were impossible to see!

2.5 feet and feeling the bumps is not really what I'm talking about. I've
skied 4' of untracked and gotten air off bumps and landed 2-3 bumps down.
I'm talking about 2.5 feet of snow that feels and skis like you're skiing on
manmade period. All the noise and vibration of boiler plate except for the
thigh deep snow that keeps you from seeing any of it.

But what it really gets down to is that anyone that says Whistler is like
the Wasatch just doesn't ski much or is reality a trunky type personality.

pigo

Old September 3rd 04, 09:40 AM
ant

"pigo" wrote in message

I've skied 2-3 feet of snow here that you couldn't even tell was there

too.
I was still skiing the hardpack or whatever happend to be underneath

without
any cushion at all.

We got that in the East a few times last season. You were going through knee
deep stuff, in "powder mode" while hearing the scrape of ice underneath, and
having to edge to deal with it.

ant