St Anton/Nasserein

Old February 6th 06, 06:28 PM

Default St Anton/Nasserein

Staying in St. Anton/Nasserien at the end of Feb for a family week. Starting
to worry that the skiiing might be a bit challenging for my kids and er ...
me. Never skiied Austria but we're fairly confident on French reds and have
tackled the odd black.

Any advice for getting the most out of the week, Lech looks a bit far to
commute every day, will we end up having to do this?

TIA

Old February 7th 06, 12:44 PM

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:28:33 GMT, "Norman"
allegedly wrote:

Staying in St. Anton/Nasserien at the end of Feb for a family week.
Starting to worry that the skiiing might be a bit challenging for my
kids and er ... me. Never skiied Austria but we're fairly confident on
French reds and have tackled the odd black.

Any advice for getting the most out of the week, Lech looks a bit far
to commute every day, will we end up having to do this?

You'll most likely be fine. If you can handle the reds in, say, Tignes or
Val d'Isere, then you'll be ok in St Anton. There's lots of blues and
reds available. The blacks that seemed to catch people out were towards
the end of the day when they'd be mogulled up (too many skiers), coming
down these you have to watch for falling bodies. Great fun.

Going to Lech everyday is achievable, although it could work out expensive
for the whole family if you get the Post bus. The free buses require a
bit more planning.

There are plenty of areas to ski on without having to do anything really
steep.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

Old February 7th 06, 12:48 PM

wrote:

Staying in St. Anton/Nasserien at the end of Feb for a family week. Starting
to worry that the skiiing might be a bit challenging for my kids and er ...
me. Never skiied Austria but we're fairly confident on French reds and have
tackled the odd black.

Any advice for getting the most out of the week, Lech looks a bit far to
commute every day, will we end up having to do this?

TIA

Don't worry, be happy

There's plenty of snowspace for you and family there.
From Nasserein you can take the cabin to Gampen, and from there easily
get to "blaue osthang" and St. Christoph. There's a great run past
Ulmerhütte to Stuben, where - from what you tell - I'll say you will
have no trobule. The run through Steissbachtal is a long blue run back
to St. Anton - so no problem there. You should also find joy and great
runs at the Rendl area, and at Kapall where there's blue and red runs
as well as the black which leads into the black Fang, which I guess is
among those giving you doubts.

The only thing to actually be aware of is, that most of the runs get
bumpy in the afternoon. My advice to you would therefore be to get up
early and enjoy the groomed snow.

Lech and Zurs also offer lots of great runs, so do go there....there's
a free skibus from St. Anton. I'ts a 30 min. drive there.

I hope this helps you - otherewise feel free to ask.

Cheers
Steffen
(Heading for St. Anton on the feb. 25th)
Old February 7th 06, 01:47 PM

news
wrote:

Staying in St. Anton/Nasserien at the end of Feb for a family week.
Starting
to worry that the skiiing might be a bit challenging for my kids and er
me. Never skiied Austria but we're fairly confident on French reds and
have
tackled the odd black.

Any advice for getting the most out of the week, Lech looks a bit far to
commute every day, will we end up having to do this?

TIA

Don't worry, be happy

There's plenty of snowspace for you and family there.
From Nasserein you can take the cabin to Gampen, and from there easily
[...]

Thanks Steffen. We'll look out for you.

And thanks Switters.

Old February 10th 06, 09:42 AM

The free skibus is between Alpe Rautz and Zurs/Lech.
To get from Nasserein or St. Anton to Zurs/Lech take the Post bus (not
free).

Tom

Old February 15th 06, 06:51 PM

Norman wrote:
Staying in St. Anton/Nasserien at the end of Feb for a family week. Starting
to worry that the skiiing might be a bit challenging for my kids and er ...
me. Never skiied Austria but we're fairly confident on French reds and have
tackled the odd black.

Any advice for getting the most out of the week, Lech looks a bit far to
commute every day, will we end up having to do this?

It's true to say that there is a lot of tough skiing in St Anton, and it
attracts a lot of skiers who want that, but there is plenty of easier
stuff too.

Lech / Zurs is well worth a trip as others have mentioned, but there is
plenty of good stuff on the St Anton side. Head for Rendle for a day or
2 - nothing too hard there (but if the snow cover is thin take the
bubble down at the end of the day and don't ski to the valley - it can
be icy and rocky), and then maybe venture to Stuben, again there's
plenty of red pistes in that area. The only difficulty in getting to
Stuben is getting down from the top of the Schindlergrat chair - this is
often a very trickey section (for a red) - it's bumpy, narrow and
busy. You can avoid this by taking the cable car up to the Valuga Grat -
it's a bit slower perhaps but the run down is fantastic, it's a huge red
which turns into a blue, but it's a very easy red.

In fact, come to think of it there are very few black pistes in St
Anton, most of the tough skiing is either off piste or a "ski route"
which is a marked but un-pisted run.
Old February 15th 06, 08:30 PM

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
Norman wrote:
[...]

Thanks Steve. I'll print this and take it with us.