Resort Reviews...

Old March 30th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_6_]

Default Resort Reviews...

Anyone home...?

Despite a patchy (I use the word advisedly...) season, we managed around a
month's solid skiing time, mostly in the French Alps.
The remainder, apart from a great day's excursion over to La Thuile from La
Rosière, found us working for our colleagues at welove2ski in the Pyrenees.

Most of the new area reviews are now live, with the remainder (Valfréjus,
Orelle/Val Thorens plus an updated Montgenèvre/Via Lattea) due shortly:

http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...i_avoriaz.html
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...hamrousse.html
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...a_rosiere.html
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint..._les_gets.html
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...eyragudes.html
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint..._menuires.html

Some food for thought in there, hopefully - looks like we'll wait until next
season now before continuing the ski-'em-all plan...

Roger

Old March 30th 11, 04:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

On 30/03/2011 16:35, Roger Moss wrote:
Anyone home...?

Yep...

Despite a patchy (I use the word advisedly...) season, we managed around
a month's solid skiing time, mostly in the French Alps.

We've done all our skiing this year in Pila as daughter is working
there. Had a good NY there, another week later in January together with
son & his family and then a few days last week.

Early trips had great snow but were very cold. Last week it was quite a
bit warmer but the snow held up well.

Also had a day in Limone in February that was good fun too.

Old March 30th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_6_]

"BrritSki" wrote in message
On 30/03/2011 16:35, Roger Moss wrote:
Anyone home...?

Yep...

Despite a patchy (I use the word advisedly...) season, we managed around
a month's solid skiing time, mostly in the French Alps.

We've done all our skiing this year in Pila as daughter is working there.
Had a good NY there, another week later in January together with son & his
family and then a few days last week.

Early trips had great snow but were very cold. Last week it was quite a
bit warmer but the snow held up well.

Also had a day in Limone in February that was good fun too.

Apart from the early dump in 3V, we definitely had our best snow conditions
of the season across the border, in Via Lattea (from Montgenèvre) and La
Thuile (from La Ros).

Just love Italy...

Roger

Old March 31st 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike[_2_]

"Roger Moss" wrote in message
r...

"BrritSki" wrote in message
On 30/03/2011 16:35, Roger Moss wrote:
Anyone home...?

Yep...

Despite a patchy (I use the word advisedly...) season, we managed around
a month's solid skiing time, mostly in the French Alps.

Well we went to Mayrhofen at Feb half term, staying in Ramsau which is a
smallish village 10 min bus ride to Horberg lift. First time at Mayrhofen
and found it very busy, seems very popular with Dutch and the runs are quite
narrow and short so hard to relax as had to watch out for what were mainly
intermediate level eager skiers.

Found the restaurants better than expected - self service but many had charm
and if ate late, were reasonably accessible. Snow cover was good if a little
badly prepared. Not sure about off-piste, as didn't know area and didn't
seem accessible nor inviting. Crowds were bad and lifts at top of
Horbergbahn were bad, easily 30 minutes in morning rush. Access to area in
morning must be dreadful in Mayrhofen, at Horberg worst queue was about 20
minutes, but then 20 minute gondala ride.

Snowed a bit and poor vis for half the time. Skied 1 day in Zell am Ziller,
which was good, less busy and some very enjoyable runs but perhaps good for
a day only. Mayrhofen was more extensive and OK for the rest of the time.

Bus system sucked as buses only every half hour and stopped at 10 am,
restarted at 15:20 to 17:20 but in fairness were never packed (and were
free).

So overall, busy resort, limited skiing but probably fine at less popular
times. Booked late(ish) with Thompson Ski and thought prices were very
reasonable certainly compared to French resorts at same time. Flights from
Newcastle were good, on time, and found resort not too expensive.

Won't be going back, but don't be totally put off. So where next year? Where
to at half term, with large area and no brits, dutch?

Mike

Old April 1st 11, 12:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_6_]

How large is your 'large'?

Are you after linked (hence pretty vast) ski areas, or are you happy
exploring a good-sized, varied areas?

'Vast' attracts Brits and can also mean 'pricey', but there are some
lesser-known options out there which offer value, e.g.:

The Espace Diamant - offers a full-circuit ski around the terrain between
the Val d'Arly and Hauteluce, along the way taking in places like Notre-Dame
de Bellecombe, Flumet, Crest Voland, Les Saisies and Bisane. Snowfalls over
in the sector above the Beaufortain (Les Saisies/Hauteluce) tend to be
reliable, including much of this (snow-wise) rather patchy season. See:
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...e_diamant.html

You could also consider Vars/Forêt-Blanche - linked into Risoul, too, by way
of a near-total contrast. Vars is a major freeride centre, has some good
intermediate cruising and great scenery. More info he
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint.../ski_vars.html

How about basing yourself in France and skiing across into Italy (or
vice-versa) from Montgenèvre? Fewer Brits than Serre Che, great snow record,
and the Italian sector is very extensive - so might suit you. We'll be
updating our review shortly, as we skied a lot more terrain across the
border this year, but this gives an idea of possibilities:
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...ntgenevre.html

Finally, by way of a bit of lateral-thinking, look at Valloire/Valmeinier -
not very many Brits there, but has a great loyalty among French families.
The village is very friendly and you can cover some distance skiing between
the two areas (on opposite sides of a deep valley). Our thoughts:
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint..._valloire.html

Hope this gives you food for thought...

Roger

"Mike" wrote in message

"Roger Moss" wrote in message
r...

Board Reviews lonerider Snowboarding 9 February 22nd 07 08:33 PM
Softgear reviews? nicotine Snowboarding 1 January 17th 07 08:41 PM
Cool New Ski / Snowboard Resort Reviews Site [email protected] Snowboarding 0 August 28th 06 08:57 AM
Cool New Ski / Snowboard Resort Reviews Site [email protected] Alpine Skiing 0 August 28th 06 08:56 AM
Rossi T-4 any reviews? Daymiller Backcountry Skiing 0 February 20th 04 02:23 PM