Ski transfers: Flaine

Old October 11th 11, 09:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

Default Ski transfers: Flaine

Following on, I seem to have volunteered to organize a trip to Flaine this
December, so, not wanting to really screw up two families' holidays:

ISTR ski-lifts.com being recommended last year: their prices look good: any
horror stories or other recommendations?

Flights would be Easy-jet: they seem to be fairly competitive, the website
looks fairly straightforward to use and there are still a few reasonable
flight times.

Normally I'd drive but the Lesser Half won't even discuss it.
--

Pip

Old October 13th 11, 08:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:15:28 +0100, PipL wrote:

Following on, I seem to have volunteered to organize a trip to Flaine this
December, so, not wanting to really screw up two families' holidays:

ISTR ski-lifts.com being recommended last year: their prices look good: any
horror stories or other recommendations?

Flights would be Easy-jet: they seem to be fairly competitive, the website
looks fairly straightforward to use and there are still a few reasonable
flight times.

Normally I'd drive but the Lesser Half won't even discuss it.

Heh. Pat refuses to fly Easyjet, but doesn't mind the drive to Flaine,
easily doable in a day from Calais.

--
Colin Irvine
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
Old October 13th 11, 08:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:35:43 +0100, Colin Irvine
wrote:

Heh. Pat refuses to fly Easyjet

Wimmin!

, but doesn't mind the drive to Flaine,
easily doable in a day from Calais.

Hmm. I've driven to a stopover that was within a couple of hours of Flaine,
but further west, so probably a bit quicker direct, however, as I only cruise
at about 70-ish (else go deaf), I'd have to take *really* early ferry to get
to Flaine before the apartment rental place closes.

Not helped by having to take slightly longer breaks as I travel solo.

--

Pip

Old October 13th 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

wrote:

Heh. Pat refuses to fly Easyjet

Wimmin!

, but doesn't mind the drive to Flaine,
easily doable in a day from Calais.

Hmm. I've driven to a stopover that was within a couple of hours of Flaine,
but further west, so probably a bit quicker direct, however, as I only cruise
at about 70-ish (else go deaf), I'd have to take *really* early ferry to get
to Flaine before the apartment rental place closes.

Not helped by having to take slightly longer breaks as I travel solo.

Coming from Wearside, we stay overnight in the Ibis, Coquelles.

--
Colin Irvine
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
Old October 14th 11, 08:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

wrote:

Heh. Pat refuses to fly Easyjet

Wimmin!

I've always thought her eminently sensible, and this just proves it.

, but doesn't mind the drive to Flaine,
easily doable in a day from Calais.

Hmm. I've driven to a stopover that was within a couple of hours of Flaine,
but further west, so probably a bit quicker direct, however, as I only cruise
at about 70-ish (else go deaf),

Get a less pikey car?

I'd have to take *really* early ferry to get
to Flaine before the apartment rental place closes.

Can't they arrange a later key pickup, given that as a regular
Flaine-ite you'd know where you were going?

Not helped by having to take slightly longer breaks as I travel solo.

Wuss.

Coming from Wearside, we stay overnight in the Ibis, Coquelles.

Yeah, in your case I'd have to say doing it in a single day would be a
bit too much. But I've done that a few times, my 'best' being Milton
Keynes to Tignes (so about 2hrs further than Flaine) in under 12 hours
door to door, and that was solo and with such bad weather (torrential
rain and wind) that for several hours I was unable to go above around
60mph.

Rest stops? Who needs them? Just stop for a pee when the pressure gets
too much, grab a sandwich and a coffee, back in the car and get going
again.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old October 14th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:25:11 +0200, Ace wrote:

Hmm. I've driven to a stopover that was within a couple of hours of Flaine,
but further west, so probably a bit quicker direct, however, as I only cruise
at about 70-ish (else go deaf),

Get a less pikey car?

It doesn't cruise the motorways particularly well, which I do regret, but it's
reliable, robust, easy(ish) to service, and happily pulls a topper mower round
a field. Besides which, at seven grand, it was the least pikey motor vehicle
I've ever bought by a considerable margin and I can't really justify buying
another car when I only use it once a week or so. Bikes are, of course, a
different matter.

Not only that but it's got selectable four-wheel drive, so I can play silly
buggers in 2WD when it snows.

So there.

I'd have to take *really* early ferry to get
to Flaine before the apartment rental place closes.

Can't they arrange a later key pickup, given that as a regular
Flaine-ite you'd know where you were going?

There is actually one advantage to using a midway stopover, I've discovered:
last year I did a 'long week', where I stopped relatively close to Flaine on
the way out, so I had three-quarters of a day's skiing on arrival, then on the
second Saturday, drove to another stopover after skiing, so I had almost 8
days of skiing[1].

Not helped by having to take slightly longer breaks as I travel solo.

Wuss.

Pbpbpbpbp![2]

[1] Iin that particular case, I didn't actually stay the whole day on the last
Saturday on account of the pain I was in. But the theory was sound.

[2] Reasoned argument, see.
--

Pip

Old October 17th 11, 02:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_4_]

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:15:28 +0100, PipL wrote:

Following on, I seem to have volunteered to organize a trip to Flaine this
December, so, not wanting to really screw up two families' holidays:

ISTR ski-lifts.com being recommended last year: their prices look good: any
horror stories or other recommendations?

Flights would be Easy-jet: they seem to be fairly competitive, the website
looks fairly straightforward to use and there are still a few reasonable
flight times.

Normally I'd drive but the Lesser Half won't even discuss it.

The third option is the train.

The Paris-Austerlitz - St. Gervais overnight train stops at Cluses in the
morning so it is a short bus ride up to Flaine (or associated resorts). Cluses
also has busses heading to the Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz.
Old October 17th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:07:43 +0100, Ian Blake
wrote:

The Paris-Austerlitz - St. Gervais overnight train stops at Cluses in the
morning so it is a short bus ride up to Flaine (or associated resorts). Cluses
also has busses heading to the Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz.

Erk. Alone, maybe, but a family with a four-year-old would be too much like
hard work.

As it happens, the Flaine idea has also been dropped: we realized that a hotel
wasn't the best place to relax at the bar in whth a 4yo child left in a room.

So, the plan is not to try to do the family thing this year in a narrow window
that doesn't fit in with resort timings. This frees me up to book a proper
holiday alone, though there was talk of doing a short Scotland trip instead,
and take the weather as it comes.
--

Pip