Good advice on the Internet :)

Old May 15th 04, 04:36 PM
Lisa Horton

Default Good advice on the Internet :)

I've gotten a lot of advice here in the last few weeks, some of which I
actually understand. I've also been reading a couple of books on
skiing. Yesterday I put it all together, and had a bit of a surprise.

Now, if you've been around Usenet for a while, you know that the
information you get in newsgroups is of, well, variable quality, to be
charitable. But this morning, I have no need to be charitable

What was interesting was that out there on the snow, the advice that
helped the most and was most useful was mostly advice I'd gotten here in
this newsgroup. It really helped a lot!

Thanks to all the advice, on my 7th ski day, I was able to ski an easy
blue with speed, confidence, and total control. My friend, who'd been
with me only on my first 1.5 day trip was very impressed at my progress.

But it gets better. On my 8th ski day, yesterday, I was able to ski a
less easy blue (Shirley Lake at Squaw). The first time or two, I was
just coping, just getting down the hill. Then I noticed that my boots
had loosened up... After I tightened them up, I was able to ski this
hill with confidence, control, and even more speed. It was so
wonderful.

So here's some of the tidbits of knowledge that were particularly
useful.

Arm position. This was the biggest help, actually. Anytime that my
balance seemed less than optimum, I looked for my hands, and they
weren't forward. Bringing them forward always fixed any balance
problems.

Big and little toes. This time, I finally really understood what you
all were saying about the big toe being a key to getting a good edge
bite. And I got the little toe of the inside foot too, finally. It was
a bit weird how I could be doing a decent turn, focus on those toes, and
the turn got better.

Sideslipping. Oh yeah, nice. Great way to shed a bit of speed in a
well controlled way. I was surprised that sideslipping was more tiring
than not slipping. This helped a lot though, when I was on a steeper
slope than I was comfortable with.

Agression/defense. I now understand well what is meant by skiing
defensively versus aggressively, attacking the slope. In defensive mode
it's all about coping, just getting down in one piece. It's a bit
frightening, and very tiring. It's just reacting, a reactive way of
skiing. But when I got into a more aggressive mode, all the control
shifted to me. New things became not only possible, but almost easy.

So, at the end of my first (abbreviated) ski season, I've accomplished
every one of my goals and more. If you'd asked me after my first ski
day, just a few short weeks ago, if I would be skiing blue runs by the
end of the season, I would have been dubious in the extreme.

I'm very very happy, and you all helped make that happen. Thanks!

Lisa
Old May 15th 04, 07:41 PM
BrritSki

Lisa Horton wrote:
snip uplifting tale of skiing success....

So here's some of the tidbits of knowledge that were particularly
useful.

Arm position.

I give f2f some **** at times for his long posts, but he (and several
others) is spot on the money with this tip.

Big and little toes. This time, I finally really understood ...

Congrats for understanding it at all

Sideslipping. Oh yeah, nice. Great way to shed a bit of speed in a
well controlled way. I was surprised that sideslipping was more tiring

Carving is the way to go. I still sometimes sideslip, but never at speed
(except to hit a gap) or to brake, only slowly in a chute. Eventually
you'll find you can carve almost anything (except steep narrow chutes),
even slowly, and remain in control.

Agression/defense. I now understand well what is meant by skiing
defensively versus aggressively, attacking the slope.

Good. When you realise you're skiing defensively, hands up, get forward
and attack it and it's like the slope was tipped 20 degrees shallower...

So, at the end of my first (abbreviated) ski season, I've accomplished
every one of my goals and more. If you'd asked me after my first ski
day, just a few short weeks ago, if I would be skiing blue runs by the
end of the season, I would have been dubious in the extreme.

I'm very very happy, and you all helped make that happen. Thanks!

I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that it is our pleasure to
welcome someone else to the club. Well done, and it gets better.
Old May 16th 04, 01:35 AM
JQ

"BrritSki" wrote in message

Lisa Horton wrote:
[...]

I second what BrritSki said. I would add one thing to one thing that you
mention Lisa and it has made a major improvement in my skiing. You
mentioned something about your boots getting loose and then you buckled them
tighter. Try this it will take a little getting use to but will help your
body to learn the forward position a little better and faster. Loosen your
top two buckles and strap as looses as the boot will allow, now ski a very
easy green run. The first thing you will notice is it is much more
difficult to turn and you can only skid your turns. If this is the case
really apply the forward pressure on the boot tongue until it won't move
forward anymore. To do this you must bend your knees and push your shins
forward. While keeping this pressure try your turns again, you should
immediately notice you can turn without skidding. I keep my boots this way
and it has made a remarkable difference in staying forward and out of the
back seat. I used to always get knocked into the back seat, I would tighten
the boots to help me turn but I was still in the back seat! The only time I
tighten them now is when I am going to ski fast & hard or conditions are
very mushy or unpredictable or when skiing moguls.

Hope this helps,

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old May 16th 04, 02:20 AM
lal_truckee

Lisa Horton wrote:

Now, if you've been around Usenet for a while, you know that the
information you get in newsgroups is of, well, variable quality, to be
charitable. But this morning, I have no need to be charitable

Just a heads up - things usually quiet down to nothing among the skiers
here in RSA during the summer; but the nut-cases sometimes keep right
on going. So it may look like the signal to noise ratio is too small to
bother with RSA ever again - not true; we'll all be back when the
weather turns brisk, ready to go; so stay tuned in.

If you do get up to Hood, etc. over the summer please post a trip report.
Old May 16th 04, 04:21 AM
foot2foot

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
[...]

Home position. If you get in trouble, go home. Hands forward
especially. Every second you spend skiing with hands waving
around, or otherwise not forward, is wasted time. Dangerous
time in fact. Right on!

[...]

People ski all their lives and never really get to the point where
they use the big and pinky toe balls of their feet as they ski.
People ski all their lives and never realize that it's really the
*feet*, one side and/or the other, that make the big
difference. You ski with your feet more than anything else.

Can you do these?:::

Start a turn on both feet, finish the last half of the turn with the
inside ski in the air (most can do this).

Start a turn on both feet, finish the last half of the turn with the
*outside* ski in the air (most *can't* do this).

Sideslip on a fairly steep slope with the uphill ski in the air.
Slip, then stop, repeat.

Sideslip on the same slope with the *downhill* ski in the air.
Do the same as above.

Traverse long distances with only the downhill, then only the
uphill ski on the snow. Leave a solid edge-only track in the
snow.

Traverse on the uphill ski, then point the ski down the hill a
bit, then turn it back up the hill to slow down, then repeat as
you wish. .

As you do these, you learn that you really don't have the
*strength* on the pinky side of your foot/leg to hold an edge
with only the inside ski. These are muscles you never really
knew you had, and have never had the occaision to really use
before you started to ski. So, you can do the above drills at
length to develop that strength, then to learn the balance to
ski a few turns on only *one ski*. Also, to *vary the radii*
of one ski turns that you make, in addition, learning to be able
to make one turn at a time to a stop on one ski in both
directions.

There's another thing you learn. That is, you not only use these
new muscles to ski on the pinky side of your foot, but you
also use *your mind* to do it.

Once you can do that, you then are fully able to use both, or
either ski. You've truly mastered pinky and big toe edge.
Your skiing will reflect it. You'll know it, you'll feel it.

Here this winter, I failed yet *another* PSIA level two exam,
partly because (at times) I'm turning mostly on the *inside ski*.
As long as you're crossed over that ski, this isn't necessarily
bad (perhaps the number two reason people fall is because
they get caught up (too much weight) on the inside ski, but the
only reason they fall is because they're not balanced over and/or
crossed over it). PSIA just doesn't like it I guess. There are
plenty of members who simply *can't* turn on the inside ski.
It's not easy to do. It's more in the "being able" to do it, as
opposed to the doing or not doing it.

For the last year or so I've really been working on pinky edge
and one-ski skiing. I mention the above because it sort of
shows that, if you want to and you work, you can learn it.
You might even learn to overdo it.

Using skidding/slipping to control speed can be more tiring as
opposed to using turn shape and linked turns to control speed,
it depends on the conditions of the snow, and how much
speed you try to lose per turn. If you spray any snow at all in a
turn, you are in fact skidding/slipping, so it's all kind of relative.
I can't think of anything more effortless than to sideslip straight
down a nice smooth slope. It's all in the relaxation.

You might start to work on pivot slips, this will help you to
take on tough bumps and steeps. What you do is simply
sideslip straight down something with hands, hips and
shoulders dead straight down the slope the entire time. Start
with skis directly across the hill, slip for a while, flex, then give a
tiny up unweight and use rotation of the legs in the hip socket
(not just twisting the feet from the lower leg bones) to switch
the skis *very quickly* to pointing straight across the hill in the
other direction. I mean *really* quickly. Like lightning. The
turning of the skis comes only from the legs, not the hips or the
shoulders, which only face straight down the hill, a perfect 90
degrees to the fall line. The upper body is the anchor around
which the legs turn underneath the upper body. Get a rhythm
going, extend, pivot, flex, extend, pivot, flex...

This will help to learn to make extremely short radius, quick
turns, like ones needed in tight bumps or really steep, narrow
terrain, or in trees. It seems tedious on average slopes, but you
see the value once you take it into difficult bumps and steep
slopes. Even if conditions don't allow you to slip this turn, the
quick, powerful rotation of the legs is a skill that's essential.

The above is the closest thing there is to the old time quick
wedel.

Just a question for you if you end up having time to answer,
at the present time, can you describe how it is you are
matching the skis?

To refresh briefly, one initiates a turn (usually) with the outside
ski, then "matches" the inside ski to the outside to result in a
parallel turn as opposed to a wedge style turn. How are you
matching your skis at this time? How are you matching the
inside ski to the outside? Can you tell, or are you just doing it?
Either is fine of course, but I was just curious.

Another quick comment Lisa, in re your statement about how
you're a bit surprised at how well you've done. This is a very
good outcome, but in reality, it must be the only outcome.

When it comes to teaching beginners, it's not enough to ensure
that the student "has fun". You must get the student *skiing* in
some fashion that first day, whatever it takes. That is, actually
skiing green or preferably blue terrain, not just scraping down
the bunny hill. This can be done if it's kept simple, using the
most effective techniques.

You must get the student skiing, but more than that, the student
must end up truly amazed, in fact dumbfounded at the progress
they've made at the conclusion of the lesson/day/multisession,
however it's done. Otherwise, the student will be lost to the
sport, and give up on it.

"Having fun", is not enough. Nowhere near enough.

Old May 16th 04, 06:37 AM
JQ

"foot2foot" wrote in message

[...]

foot2foot, I was wondering on how to develop the pinky edge (inside ski)
turns. Your explanation makes it much easier to figure out. My son just
turned 12 yrs old, just picks up one ski and skis on the other it's nice to
be young.

Just a little tidbit, what really got me into skiing was the challenge. I
started at age 40 with bad knees and back. I had been a national level
competitor most of my life in the martial arts and as a runner. I couldn't
ski a lick when I started and all I was doing was major wipe-outs. I took
many lessons with many different instructors, my best lessons were from a
ski teacher at Big Mountain (Kjell Petersen) a great person too. He was
able to teach the technical aspects of skiing much like you and your
explanations. I then started to read and buy technical skiing videos and
watch the more advance skiers to break down the mechanics. I truly believe
if skiing would have came easy to me I would not have kept skiing for 10
years now. I strive to improve and each year I have made numerous advances
and able to ski things I only dreamed of.

I do have a question for you, how do you ski a trail that basically a deep
groove (about 2' wide, 6" to 12" deep) and control speed and turn as the
trail turns (these are generally in the trees)? I know I start to panic and
stiffen up because I feel I cannot control my speed or turns and the trees
so close to the path doesn't help either. I do not make a habit of skiing
these types of runs but sometimes while following my son he gets me into
them. He has no problem in them, he likes and looks for them. I try to
tell him to keep me out of those types of runs but it would be nice to know
how to ski them all the same.

Thanks,
JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old May 16th 04, 01:17 PM
foot2foot

JQ wrote in message:

(snip and thanks for nice comments JQ)

"JQ I do have a question for you, how do you ski a trail that basically a
deep
groove (about 2' wide, 6" to 12" deep) and control speed and turn as the
trail turns (these are generally in the trees)?

Those darn kids and their little tiny skis....

This is a common dillemma among many a Powder Pig
instructor. Miles and miles of trails through trees that were made
by little tiny skis. And many a branch the kids can ski right under
that will decapitate adults. I can't stand the adult version of those
kind of trails either. There's one at Timberline, mostly as you
describe, and there's a really sharp turn, if you miss it you could
seriously kiss a tree. If you know the route, it's usually a different
story. I mostly don't though, as I travel area to area quite a bit.
There is room to turn and all in that one, it's a dedicated adult? run,
but you have to be really quick, and it's so tight. Hate it.

Badger Mountain in Waterville, Wash, has something like that
as well, it's their "green" terrain. They really need to clear some
of the gentler areas of that hill, now they mostly have one kind
of terrain, straight down and steep.

In fact, White Pass has a double diamond run like that, except
it's sheer rock bank on the right, cliff on the left with tight trees.
I think Brundage has something like that as well, a trail that
leads to their cliff area. Hate em.

Well, you could use little tiny skis. In fact, Hillcrest Sports? in
Gresham (down the hill from Timberline), still has two pair of
Atomic crossmax type 120's, and one pair Betacarv 120's,
actual adult /performance intended (not development skis) 120's.
Device 310 rental style bindings. Real skis. Ice skates in fact.
Carving machines. Stable at speed once you learn how to steer
them. Beat the crap out of you in crud though, unless you're
*really* hot at absorbtion?, this because they're so short.
They'd probably ship them to you.

I have the same problem trying to go down some of these things
that snowboarders have made by heel edging straight down
some steep path through the trees in order to go hide and get
stoned in the woods. Scary. The skis are just too long to fit in
the gully.

I can just see myself getting stuck on one of those just as a
boarder is coming down, you know, one of those whose
responsibility code says, "Hey may, look out, get out of my
way!" Especially after they just got wasted.

I can't think of anything better one could do than to wedge to
control speed, or to hop. You lose all kinds of speed if you hop.
Then, just don't let the speed get beyond where one can control
it with a wedge. Also look for the places where you do have
room to check a little, then hit them for all they are worth, maybe
stop altogether, then start again.
..
Maybe you could sideslip up on one side or the other, cutting
down the edge of the groove, or go high and slip on the turns
on one side or the other. Then, if you end up skiing the
same stuff, learn how fast you can go by increasing speed a bit
at a time.

I'm assuming your kid's skis are a lot shorter than yours?
How does your son control *his* speed?

My advice as to your question probably really sucks bigtime,
perhaps others could pipe in.

Imagine trying to run a sled up to somebody on one of those,
then trying to sled them out.....heck, I'd rather take off the skis
and walk him out. Hmm, wonder what Crash would have to
say on this...

I know I start to panic and
stiffen up

So do I.

because I feel I cannot control my speed or turns and the trees
so close to the path doesn't help either.

Same here.

I do not make a habit of skiing
these types of runs but sometimes while following my son he gets me into
them.

Me too sometimes.

He has no problem in them, he likes and looks for them.

Don't you just hate that? Then they want to go off all those darn
little jumps as well.....

Old May 16th 04, 09:55 PM
lal_truckee

JQ wrote:

I do have a question for you, how do you ski a trail that basically a deep
groove (about 2' wide, 6" to 12" deep) and control speed and turn as the
trail turns (these are generally in the trees)?

Just to make sure the iconoclast folks are getting a hearing, I'll stand
up and throw out two suggestions:

Use skis that are long enough that if you get in a totally untenable
situation you can throw them sideways and emergency hockey stop -
spanning the whole trough on your long skis.

Ride the sides of the groove - i.e. treat em like banked turns at Indy.
Old May 17th 04, 05:09 AM
JQ

"foot2foot" wrote in message
JQ wrote in message:

(snip and thanks for nice comments JQ)

You are most welcome

I can't think of anything better one could do than to wedge to
control speed, or to hop. You lose all kinds of speed if you hop.
Then, just don't let the speed get beyond where one can control
it with a wedge. Also look for the places where you do have
room to check a little, then hit them for all they are worth, maybe
stop altogether, then start again.

This what I do, I stop and think to myself why did I do this and how can I
get out of here.

Maybe you could sideslip up on one side or the other, cutting
down the edge of the groove, or go high and slip on the turns
on one side or the other. Then, if you end up skiing the
same stuff, learn how fast you can go by increasing speed a bit
at a time.

Good point! I'll keep this in mind the next time.

I'm assuming your kid's skis are a lot shorter than yours?
How does your son control *his* speed?

Yes his skis are much shorter (135cm vs 181cm). He doesn't worry about it.
He gets so far ahead of me I can't see him, if it is a trail follows the
main trial and I can see him it there he seems to just follows the path.
When there are a lot of up and downs he tries to make jumps out of them. I
have seen him make stops or go around people that had fallen or stopped.

My advice as to your question probably really sucks bigtime,
perhaps others could pipe in.

No It has opened my mind to see it differently. I guess it takes a lot of
practice and getting use to being in there.

Imagine trying to run a sled up to somebody on one of those,
then trying to sled them out.....heck, I'd rather take off the skis
and walk him out. Hmm, wonder what Crash would have to
say on this...

I did walk out of one after hitting a jump that I wasn't expecting and
wiping out on the other side

Don't you just hate that? Then they want to go off all those darn
little jumps as well.....

Yep, that him...

You gave me some good pointers that I didn't think of. I tried the wedge
and that to me was very difficult and dangerous as it made it too easy to
cross the tips and was very hard to get into a good wedge. It could have
been a problem with me more than actually getting into the wedge.

Thanks,

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old May 17th 04, 05:12 AM
JQ

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
JQ wrote:

I do have a question for you, how do you ski a trail that basically a

deep
groove (about 2' wide, 6" to 12" deep) and control speed and turn as the
trail turns (these are generally in the trees)?

Just to make sure the iconoclast folks are getting a hearing, I'll stand
up and throw out two suggestions:

Use skis that are long enough that if you get in a totally untenable
situation you can throw them sideways and emergency hockey stop -
spanning the whole trough on your long skis.

Ride the sides of the groove - i.e. treat em like banked turns at Indy.

I need to try this the next time I happened to be in one. Thanks,

JQ
Dancing on the edge