trip report on Methow Valley WA

Old January 12th 04, 04:41 PM
Mark Eastman

Default trip report on Methow Valley WA

I just got back from a week of truly fabulous skiing in the Methow Valley of
Washington State. The trip was from 2 to 10 January. This pristine valley
in the eastern side of the magnificent Cascade mountains of Washington
boasts a true 200kms of superbly groomed trails......both for classic and
skating skiing. The trails are centered in the cute town of Winthrop
WA....which is in North Central WA............an area that gets very dry
snow and temps mostly in the 20's. I arrived with an arctic cold front
that kept conditions in the zero to 10 above range most of the time
(Fahrenheit)....nights got down to -10 and even -16....but that was unusual.
The trails were groomed daily and connect the town to the Mazama end of the
valley...about 15 miles....and also wind around the resort of Sun Mountain
about 9 miles from Winthrop. I have been to this area several times....but
this last trip convinced me that it might very well be the finest system
anywhere. The scenery is gorgeous....and get this.....every thing in the
area is geared to cross country skiing. There is no major downhill area in
the town. I guess it is close to the Norwegian ideal. Each day the skiing
was perfect. They maintain the system with 5 Piston Bully machines.....and
seem to groom every night.

For me a perfect vacation should center around which trails should I
ski.....and where should I eat tonight? For both of those questions, the
answers brought delightful experiences.

Here is a link for more information on the system.

http://www.mvsta.com/

Too bad I am back to reality now.

Mark Eastman
Danville CA

Old January 13th 04, 05:06 PM
Ben Goetter

I'm glad that you had a good time, Mark. Green wax conditions are
atypical here; indeed, we warmed up last weekend right to the
freezing point. The tracks are fast. Life is good.

Anybody truly dying for the Alpine ski experience, perhaps with
snowboarding children in tow, can visit the tiny Loup Loup Ski Bowl
(http://www.skitheloup.com/), a half hour (less, really) out of Twisp.
Or you can do backcountry in Washington Pass via snowmobile or
helicopter. But there is no Alpine presence in town, nor is it missed.

Ben
Mazama, WA, USA