Which vehicle to take to Winter Park?

Old March 20th 04, 02:47 PM
Jim Ranieri

Default Which vehicle to take to Winter Park?

We're going to be driving from Chicago to WP the last week of March. The
vehicle choices a

99 Dodge Durango 4WD with 85,000 miles. Drives OK around town, but Durango
trannys are notoriously dicey after 60-70K. Would hate to be broken down
somewhere in eastern CO with the kiddies in the car. Also, less than
confident about it's performance on those long grades.

03 Chevy Silverado 2WD pickup. 10,000 miles. Extended cab seating is going
to be much less confortable. Mechanically, it's fine. Traction in a 2WD
truck ain't the greatest, though. A little nervous about encountering slick
conditions on Berthoud Pass.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Jim

Old March 22nd 04, 06:05 PM
Jim Ranieri

"Jim Ranieri" wrote in message
We're going to be driving from Chicago to WP the last week of March. The
vehicle choices a

99 Dodge Durango 4WD with 85,000 miles. Drives OK around town, but Durango
trannys are notoriously dicey after 60-70K. Would hate to be broken down
somewhere in eastern CO with the kiddies in the car. Also, less than
confident about it's performance on those long grades.

03 Chevy Silverado 2WD pickup. 10,000 miles. Extended cab seating is going
to be much less confortable. Mechanically, it's fine. Traction in a 2WD
truck ain't the greatest, though. A little nervous about encountering

slick
conditions on Berthoud Pass.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Okay, that settles it. I'm taking the pickup.

Old March 22nd 04, 06:43 PM
lal_truckee

Jim Ranieri wrote:
"Jim Ranieri" wrote in message

We're going to be driving from Chicago to WP the last week of March. The
vehicle choices a

99 Dodge Durango 4WD with 85,000 miles. Drives OK around town, but Durango
trannys are notoriously dicey after 60-70K. Would hate to be broken down
somewhere in eastern CO with the kiddies in the car. Also, less than
confident about it's performance on those long grades.

03 Chevy Silverado 2WD pickup. 10,000 miles. Extended cab seating is going
to be much less confortable. Mechanically, it's fine. Traction in a 2WD
truck ain't the greatest, though. A little nervous about encountering

slick

conditions on Berthoud Pass.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Okay, that settles it. I'm taking the pickup.

Don't forget to dump a yard or two of sand in the bed, and a shovel;
instant better traction and handling. Plus you've got sand if you ever
get stuck.

But I'm sure you know all this.
Old March 22nd 04, 07:50 PM
Jim Ranieri

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

Okay, that settles it. I'm taking the pickup.

Don't forget to dump a yard or two of sand in the bed, and a shovel;
instant better traction and handling. Plus you've got sand if you ever
get stuck.

But I'm sure you know all this.

True, but I'll be loaded down with grub and gear - not much room for sand. I
suppose the chunky peanut butter could be used for traction in a pinch.

Old March 22nd 04, 09:09 PM
lal_truckee

Jim Ranieri wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

Okay, that settles it. I'm taking the pickup.

Don't forget to dump a yard or two of sand in the bed, and a shovel;
instant better traction and handling. Plus you've got sand if you ever
get stuck.

But I'm sure you know all this.

True, but I'll be loaded down with grub and gear - not much room for sand. I
suppose the chunky peanut butter could be used for traction in a pinch.

A ton of sand is only a few inches on the bed bottom - shou
Old March 22nd 04, 09:19 PM
Richard Henry

Jim Ranieri wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

Okay, that settles it. I'm taking the pickup.

Don't forget to dump a yard or two of sand in the bed, and a shovel;
instant better traction and handling. Plus you've got sand if you ever
get stuck.

But I'm sure you know all this.

True, but I'll be loaded down with grub and gear - not much room for

sand. I
suppose the chunky peanut butter could be used for traction in a pinch.

A ton of sand is only a few inches on the bed bottom - shou

That's good for spreading out the weight, but a real bitch to shovel it out
when you need to improve the traction of some ice.

Old March 22nd 04, 10:11 PM
Sam Seiber

Jim Ranieri wrote:
Okay, that settles it. I'm taking the pickup.

The way the CO weather forecast looks, as long as the pickup
handles fine on bone dry roads, you should be fine.
Bring your shorts. The weather is running on the warm
side.

Sam "Did I miss the winter we were supposed to have this year?" Seiber
Old March 22nd 04, 11:44 PM
pigo

Jim Ranieri wrote:
[...]

That time of year it's doubtful that you will get long drawn out storms. You
can always put some chains on. A 2WD truck will ride better and get better
mileage. I have a 2000 Ext. Cab. It's pretty comfy back there. Shell on it?
That could be nice for naps.

pigo

Old March 28th 04, 11:44 PM
eedwards

Jim Ranieri wrote:
[...]

Ever consider renting? You can rent a brand new car for a week from one of
the major rental car companies with unlimited miles for less than the wear &
tear you'll put on your car. You could drive a new Durango to WP..

Old March 29th 04, 10:42 PM
larry

Jim Ranieri wrote:
[...]

&
tear you'll put on your car. You could drive a new Durango to WP..

Yep and you will not need 4wd.. it is summer there... no kidding.. it may be
mashed potatoes all day long. You may need your water skis..

Winter Park - Season Pass Alan North American Ski Resorts 2 May 18th 04 08:03 PM
Weekend trip report -- Minocqua Winter Park and Nordic Center Gene Goldenfeld Nordic Skiing 0 March 22nd 04 05:14 AM
Winter Olympic Park Closed? -JP- Nordic Skiing 3 March 1st 04 11:37 PM
Winter Park advice Tim Alpine Skiing 2 January 31st 04 03:26 AM
Winter Park Colorado Condo Available 12/12-19 Lee Edwards North American Ski Resorts 0 December 2nd 03 03:26 PM