Tignes bootfitter

Old November 5th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Bill Seddon

Default Tignes bootfitter

I've googled around looking for a bootfitter in Tignes, and the name
Nevada comes up but I can't find contact details.

I'm sadly having to go in feb half term but it's better than nothing,
and need a new pair of boots as my six year old Salomons hurt like hell.
I hope to get there before the real rush on the sat and would like
to book an appointment in advance, any suggestions as to where to find
an excellent bootfitter? I'll be in Val Claret but can obviously move
around.

Bill
Old November 6th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Bill Seddon" wrote in message
| I've googled around looking for a bootfitter in Tignes, and the name
| Nevada comes up but I can't find contact details.
|
| I'm sadly having to go in feb half term but it's better than nothing,
| and need a new pair of boots as my six year old Salomons hurt like
hell.
| I hope to get there before the real rush on the sat and would like
| to book an appointment in advance, any suggestions as to where to
find
| an excellent bootfitter? I'll be in Val Claret but can obviously move
| around.
|
| Bill

Bottom right of this page (bit slow to load, it's a quite high res. pdf
file), under "Jeu Concours", Nevada Sport Franck's details (address,
phone no.)

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old November 6th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"pg" wrote in message

| "Bill Seddon" wrote in message
|| I've googled around looking for a bootfitter in Tignes, and the name
|| Nevada comes up but I can't find contact details.
|| I'm sadly having to go in feb half term but it's better than
nothing,
|| and need a new pair of boots as my six year old Salomons hurt like
| hell.
|| I hope to get there before the real rush on the sat and would
like
|| to book an appointment in advance, any suggestions as to where to
| find
|| an excellent bootfitter? I'll be in Val Claret but can obviously
move
|| around.
|| Bill
|
| Bottom right of this page

DUH, forgot to add the url:

http://mysnowsports.com/newspics2006/LDPoctHQ_14.pdf

Old November 6th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

"pg" wrote in message

"pg" wrote in message

| "Bill Seddon" wrote in message
|| I've googled around looking for a bootfitter in Tignes, and the name
|| Nevada comes up but I can't find contact details.
|| I'm sadly having to go in feb half term but it's better than
nothing,
|| and need a new pair of boots as my six year old Salomons hurt like
| hell.
|| I hope to get there before the real rush on the sat and would
like
|| to book an appointment in advance, any suggestions as to where to
| find
|| an excellent bootfitter? I'll be in Val Claret but can obviously
move
|| around.
|| Bill
|
| Bottom right of this page

DUH, forgot to add the url:

http://mysnowsports.com/newspics2006/LDPoctHQ_14.pdf

(bit slow to load, it's a quite high res. pdf
| file), under "Jeu Concours", Nevada Sport Franck's details (address,
| phone no.)

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure you wouldn't rather get a
bootfitter near where you live to sort the boots you already have (liners,
footbed, heat-gun moulding, etc.) so that you can leave secure in the
knowledge that you'll be happy skiing with comfortable boots?

Cheaper option, I suspect - after all, half-term's already going to cost
you......... :-(

RM

Old November 6th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

| "pg" wrote in message
|
| "pg" wrote in message
| |
| | "Bill Seddon" wrote in message

DUH, forgot to add the url:

http://mysnowsports.com/newspics2006/LDPoctHQ_14.pdf

(bit slow to load, it's a quite high res. pdf
| file), under "Jeu Concours", Nevada Sport Franck's details
(address,
| phone no.)

| At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure you wouldn't rather
get a
| bootfitter near where you live to sort the boots you already have
(liners,
| footbed, heat-gun moulding, etc.) so that you can leave secure in the
| knowledge that you'll be happy skiing with comfortable boots?
|
| Cheaper option, I suspect - after all, half-term's already going to
cost
| you......... :-(

Sounds like Bill has already got his trip to Val Claret sorted... so
other than losing a few hours' skiing, it can be a fair bit cheaper to
get the mouldings etc in France, ime. A friend bought some
boots/mouldings from Nevada last year, and was impressed at the
attention given to the fitting, which combined with the opportunity to
ski them in for a day or two before returning for some minor (free)
adjustments, made for his first pain-free skiing experience in years.

Old November 6th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Joe Roach

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the shop but it was opposite the
Hotel Curling in Val Claret. I and my son got really well fitted boots an
insoles there about 3 years ago.

Old November 6th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:48:39 +0100, "pg" wrote:

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

| At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure you wouldn't rather
get a
| bootfitter near where you live to sort the boots you already have
(liners,
| footbed, heat-gun moulding, etc.) so that you can leave secure in the
| knowledge that you'll be happy skiing with comfortable boots?
|
| Cheaper option, I suspect - after all, half-term's already going to
cost
| you......... :-(

Sounds like Bill has already got his trip to Val Claret sorted... so
other than losing a few hours' skiing, it can be a fair bit cheaper to
get the mouldings etc in France, ime. A friend bought some
boots/mouldings from Nevada last year, and was impressed at the
attention given to the fitting, which combined with the opportunity to
ski them in for a day or two before returning for some minor (free)
adjustments, made for his first pain-free skiing experience in years.

I think the latter point is the clincher - if get your boots fitted in
the UK where you're not able to try them out, then arrive in the alps
and find that they're not quite right, no amount of 'fitting
guarantee' or 'free adjustment' from a UK shop will help with the pain
and/or loss of quality skiing when you get there.

Then again, I'm a firm believer that many[1] people's boot-fitting
problems are more down to poor technique than anything else. Once
you've learnt to control your body position properly[2] you no longer
need to rely on the boots to provide support all the time, so
looser-fitting ones[3] will do the job just as well.

[1] Anyone reading this excepted, of course. I realise that _some_
people have genuinely funny-shaped feet, but they're not, IMO, the
majority of folk who experience problems.
[2] For "that's as good as I'm ever going to get" values of
'properly', naturally.
[3] Touring boots *rock* in the "wear them all day with no discomfort"
stakes.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 6th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Martin

What you say may or may not be true but I'd suggest doesn't recognise that
many of us only get the chance to ski once a year and hence our progress
might be limited. How good would anyone become at any sport .... golf or
tennis as examples ..... if we only got to pay them once a year ?

Holiday skiers probably need all the help they can get.

Martin

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:48:39 +0100, "pg" wrote:

...... stuff edited out ......

Then again, I'm a firm believer that many[1] people's boot-fitting
problems are more down to poor technique than anything else. Once
you've learnt to control your body position properly[2] you no longer
need to rely on the boots to provide support all the time, so
looser-fitting ones[3] will do the job just as well.

[1] Anyone reading this excepted, of course. I realise that _some_
people have genuinely funny-shaped feet, but they're not, IMO, the
majority of folk who experience problems.
[2] For "that's as good as I'm ever going to get" values of
'properly', naturally.
[3] Touring boots *rock* in the "wear them all day with no discomfort"
stakes.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski
Club.

Old November 6th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:35:00 -0000, "Martin"
wrote:

reformatted for easier reading

"Ace" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:48:39 +0100, "pg" wrote:

..... stuff edited out ......

Then again, I'm a firm believer that many[1] people's boot-fitting
problems are more down to poor technique than anything else. Once
you've learnt to control your body position properly[2] you no longer
need to rely on the boots to provide support all the time, so
looser-fitting ones[3] will do the job just as well.

What you say may or may not be true but I'd suggest doesn't recognise that
many of us only get the chance to ski once a year and hence our progress
might be limited. How good would anyone become at any sport .... golf or
tennis as examples ..... if we only got to pay them once a year ?

Oh aye, I wasn't trying to say that everyone should be able to be
great skiers, but I've come across many fairly decent skiers,
including myself for several years, whose technique was such that they
permanently have/had pain in their feet /enkles/shins/calves.

For myself, these sorts of pain started to disappear after I learnt to
pull my knees forward using ankle and shin muscles. Up until then, I'd
always been trying to push my body over the skis, so my feet and lower
legs needed to be held in a vice-like grip to maintain the proper
angulation. Nowadays I no longer need any ankle support about 90% of
the time.

Holiday skiers probably need all the help they can get.

Indeed. But sometimes simply imagining that they have poorly fitting
boots or awkward-shaped feet can seriously impede someone from
progressing, by not being aware of their own shortcomings.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 6th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul

"Joe Roach" wrote in message
Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the shop but it was opposite
the Hotel Curling in Val Claret. I and my son got really well fitted
boots an insoles there about 3 years ago.

"Bill Seddon" wrote in message
I've googled around looking for a bootfitter in Tignes, and the name
Nevada comes up but I can't find contact details.

I'm sadly having to go in feb half term but it's better than nothing,
and need a new pair of boots as my six year old Salomons hurt like hell.
I hope to get there before the real rush on the sat and would like to
book an appointment in advance, any suggestions as to where to find an
excellent bootfitter? I'll be in Val Claret but can obviously move
around.

Bill

Precision Ski in Val D'Isere are often quoted as the best boot fitters in
the French Alps. I've used them myself for boot adjustment and they were
good. The staff all seemed to be Aussies, Kiwis and Scots (so a bit of a
language problem there!).They are part of a group which now has shops in
Tignes as well. I don't know that they have boot fitting and adjustment but
it's very likely. This link takes you to the details
http://www.precision-ski.com/about_s...rame.asp?id=39 Of course,
it doesn't follow that the Tignes operation is good just because the Val D
is but might be worth checking out.

Paul