About those cheap Internet skis....

Old October 30th 04, 07:09 PM
Lisa Horton

Default About those cheap Internet skis....

When I started skiing last spring, I wanted to get my own skis to
enhance the learning process by removing the variable of different
skis. But I didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I shopped the big
end of season sales at the Internet merchants. I picked the skis that
seemed to be the most appropriate, looking only at the most heavily
discounted (over 50%) models. I ended up with Rossi Saphir Snow 2 skis,
and they seemed to work well for me. But I still wondered just how
"right" they actually were for me.

So yesterday, when I took them in to be waxed, the ski shop kid said
"Oh, how do you like those skis?" I said I liked them, I guessed, but
having skied for only 8 ski days, I wasn't really in a position to
judge. Turning it around, I asked him if he knew the skis, and he
allowed that he did. He went on to talk about them a bit, and I came to
realize that these were pretty darn close to ideal for where I'm at with
skiing.

Considering that the Lange boots I bought because they were really cheap
ended up fitting my narrow feet quite well, all in all I'm quite happy
with my discount internet skis

Consider: under $400 for skis, bindings, boots and poles, all brand new,
but most of it previous years models.

I can hardly wait to once again use my cheap skis, but this time I'll be
wearing my lovely lavender 70% off ski jacket, and my new purple
Obermyer pants which were, alas, not even 50% off.

It's been so very frustrating, knowing that the mountains are starting
to open up, but I'm too snowed under with work and duties to get away.
But relief should be at hand, next week, yay!

Lisa
Old October 30th 04, 11:52 PM
AH

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like you got some pretty good deals.. but make sure you get to the
slopes at least 10 days this year, or you would have been better off
renting..

Old October 31st 04, 05:42 PM
Lisa Horton

AH wrote:

[...]

Well, I got in 5 days on them in my short last season, and I anticipate
getting at least that many, if not much more, before New Years

But I'm dubious if comparing the price of the outfit with the price of
rentals is an accurate comparison, by itself. There are advantages to
owning, like never having to wait for the rental gear, not taking the
time to fit the rental gear. Also, I feel that skiing on the same pair
of skis each time makes the learning process easier, but that's
certainly not an expert opinion!

Lisa
Old October 31st 04, 06:21 PM
Charlie R

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:42:13 -0800, Lisa Horton
wrote:

But I'm dubious if comparing the price of the outfit with the price of
rentals is an accurate comparison, by itself. There are advantages to
owning, like never having to wait for the rental gear, not taking the
time to fit the rental gear. Also, I feel that skiing on the same pair
of skis each time makes the learning process easier, but that's
certainly not an expert opinion!

Lisa

Also being a new skier, I agree with you. It's not about compairing
dollar for dollar.
Old November 1st 04, 08:07 AM
AH

AH wrote:

[...]

All good points.. but if you don't ski very much, and you have to travel a
bit to get to the slopes then I still think its better to rent.. that way,
you don't have to lug ski's on planes, and you are always skiing on the
latest gear..

It all depends..

Old November 2nd 04, 01:25 AM
CParker

"AH" wrote in message

All good points.. but if you don't ski very much, and you have to travel a
bit to get to the slopes then I still think its better to rent.. that way,
you don't have to lug ski's on planes, and you are always skiing on the
latest gear..

It all depends..

Agreed, about 5 years ago I decided that I wanted my own skis instead of
renting every time. I found my ski of choice that year on sale at the end of
the season, and scarfed them up at a good price. The next year, after one
trip through the airport with all the hassle of collecting baggage AND skis
and wrestling them on and off the busses to get to the rental cars, I sold
them (at a loss, of course). Now I happily rent.

C.