What's a snowboard's "pop"?

Old January 13th 06, 07:45 PM

Default What's a snowboard's "pop"?

I've just started researching snowboards. I notice a lot of
sites/descriptions mentioning that "foo" snowboard has "good pop" or
"excellent pop". Can anyone explain to me what that means?

Thanks!

Old January 13th 06, 09:11 PM

How stiff it is. Stiffness=pop

Old January 13th 06, 10:39 PM

I've just started researching snowboards. I notice a lot of
sites/descriptions mentioning that "foo" snowboard has "good pop" or
"excellent pop". Can anyone explain to me what that means?

"Pop" = "Springiness", at least when I use the term :-)

Two flavors:

1) When you decamber the board in a carved turn, how much does it spring
back? The more springback, the faster your edge transitions and the faster
you get from edeg to edge. It's a very exhilerating ride, but lack of
precision in your technique can lead to falls.

2) When you weight the tail during an Ollie, how much does it launch you
when you unweight it? Depending on the flex cahracteristics, a board that
does not have a lot of spinginess over the entire length can still have a
springy tail. Hwoever, the tail is part of the whole picture - to a point,
they usually go hand in hand.

Old January 14th 06, 04:17 AM

I don't equate stiffness with pop.
Stiffness is just that, and can have slow rebound due to damping,
lots of fiberglass, or thick glass.
Case in point, my Avalanche IceRocket ChrisSanders 164.
Rebound is usually a trait associated with light boards that are
springy, that bend back quickly, usually many layers of lighter weight
fiberglass, lively wood core, and snappy cap construction.
An example is a RocketReeve Ride 169.
Personally, for hard boarding in the steeps, I prefer a dead feel,
medium flex, and as little pop or rebound as possible, for a true,
consistent ride.

Old January 18th 06, 03:19 PM

A board with a lot of pop will also be more unstable at speed in choppy
conditions.

BLOWER Snowboards Mike T Snowboarding 0 May 5th 04 10:16 PM
Reaction Snowboards Mike T Snowboarding 0 February 13th 04 06:53 PM
Inca Snowboards Arvin Chang Snowboarding 9 February 9th 04 04:03 PM
Comments about OSB Snowboards Jeff Smith Snowboarding 0 January 12th 04 07:51 PM
Illuminati Snowboards Lance Snowboarding 3 November 13th 03 06:56 AM