Salomon Carbon Pros(skate) v. Race Skate 9(black w/ yellow trim)

Old February 25th 05, 05:01 AM
nnn

Default Salomon Carbon Pros(skate) v. Race Skate 9(black w/ yellow trim)

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how the Race Skate 9's fit relative to the Carbon Pros?

thanks, tom
Old February 25th 05, 10:10 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:01:36 -0700, "nnn"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how the Race Skate
9's fit relative to the Carbon Pros?

You could, if you tried them on.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old February 25th 05, 06:42 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

nnn wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how the Race Skate
9's fit relative to the Carbon Pros?

You could, if you tried them on.

It will cost me $40 for every pair of
boots I try on, so I'd like to limit
my search to boots that have the best
possibility of fitting.

Mail order one of each (or even a couple pairs in different sizes) and
try them on at home, on a carpeted surface. Then return the pair(s)
you don't want. Additional money spent is the cost of shipping.

JFT

Old February 25th 05, 07:28 PM
Fitzgerald

Carbon Pros are narrower in the toe box. They are best for a low volume
foot.
They don't stretch. Really no insulation so depending on how cold it gets
where you ski you'll end up with some pretty cold tootsies.
Fitzgerald
NH

Old February 25th 05, 09:26 PM
Camilo

"Fitzgerald" wrote in message
Carbon Pros are narrower in the toe box. They are best for a low volume
foot.
They don't stretch. Really no insulation so depending on how cold it gets
where you ski you'll end up with some pretty cold tootsies.
Fitzgerald
NH

The cold tooties thing is a non-issue - just wear some insulated boot
covers. There are a wide variety available from light weight to very warm.
The only issue is whether or not they'll work with the Pilot binding system
(any boot cover will work with any other system). But don't worry about
Pilots - any cover I'm familiar with can be modified to accomodate the
second Pilot attachment point.

Cam

Old February 28th 05, 02:49 PM
Marc Gwadz

fyi, salomon carbon overboots on sale, $50

http://www.rei.com/product/47842573.htm?

Old February 28th 05, 03:29 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Camilo wrote:
The cold tooties thing is a non-issue -
just wear some insulated boot
covers. There are a wide variety
available from light weight to very warm.

I have boots warmer than the Carbon Pros, and at least for training
there have been times when I needed boot covers over them. In those
conditions I was just barely OK. I guess most races would be cancelled
in such conditions, but I would hardly call this a non-issue. And the
boot covers definitely at weight and are yet another thing to fiddle
with. I do not like using them if I do not have to.

JFT

Old February 28th 05, 06:17 PM
Camilo

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Camilo wrote:
The cold tooties thing is a non-issue -
just wear some insulated boot
covers. There are a wide variety
available from light weight to very warm.

I have boots warmer than the Carbon Pros, and at least for training
there have been times when I needed boot covers over them. In those
conditions I was just barely OK. I guess most races would be cancelled
in such conditions, but I would hardly call this a non-issue. And the
boot covers definitely at weight and are yet another thing to fiddle
with. I do not like using them if I do not have to.

JFT

The reason I said it was a non-issue is that the solution to cold feet is
easy - use boot warmers. The warmth of the boot isn't a factor - fit is the
only factor. If your thin Salomon (or other) boot warmers aren't warm
enough, buy some warmer ones. I have a set of thin ones that just cover my
foot for mildly cold weather, as well as some thick pile ones (Alpina, but
there are others) that are really warm, used if it's below, say -15F (don't
skate at that temp but wear the warmers over my Carbon Pro striding boots).
Yes, I GUESS you could say that boot warmers are "heavier" (negligible), yes
"another thing to fiddle with" (so are mittens, neck gaiter and other things
you wear when it's cold), sure, nobody likes using them if they don't have
to, but it's a winter sport, wear the clothes you need to stay warm. IMHO a
person's foolish to avoid skiing just because it's below -4F (the FIS
cutoff). Its really no big deal to stay warm, head to toe. You don't have
to wear lycra and paper thin hat/gloves/boots all the time, you know. There
are warmer versions of every article of clothing you wear that are suitable
for vigorous training and racing.

By the way, a lot of people I know like the Alpina line of boots because
they seem to be warmer than most/all of the other top line boots. That's a
good reason to buy them, assuming they fit as well as the less warm options.
I bought the Carbons because they fit the best, knowing I can easily deal
with the difference in warmth, a non-issue, as I said.

Cam

Old February 28th 05, 06:24 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

I find it remarkable that you think seem to think I wear lycra and
paper thin gloves and hat all the time in very cold weather.
My current boot warmers are pretty thick already. I guess I should wear
two pairs or something? Or get some sort of down ones or have them
custom made or something.

JFT